2011 Edge/MKX My Touch and Sync Problems

Thanks for the idea of "Send to Car". I have had MFT/MLT for almost 3 years & the 3 years free will soon expire. & I guess so will the usefulness of their app since it is tied to services. Ford had the GREAT idea of changing the $60/year renewal price but changed it to $199 for Lincoln owners. This may be an alternative.

Ok so I just got an 11 Sport. It obviously has the MFT system. I've played with a few over the years and known many folks that had them, never seen nor heard of a problem until I went online and specifically looked for problems. (i.e. I searched for MFT/SYNC problems) I was just curious if there were any known issues. I've seen the mftsucks site, and a couple other sites dedicated to whining about the system. I see one major problem with those sites......if you are going to go that far to whine and complain to the world, at least use proper grammar and spell check. Nothing says this person is an idiot worse than minor grammar screwups, except for the MAJOR grammar fails. If you can't use spell check, then i'd reckon you probably can't use a basic touch screen interface. Not directing this at any of you, not by any means, just pointing out that if you really want to make a point like those folks, do it right.

Now, as for those who are fed up and can't get any help, I'm going to tell you how to solve this. I've gotten fed up as hell over the years with a few major companies (I mean all Fortune 500, several Fortune 50) These are all PUBLICLY owned companies...like you can buy stock and have a sliver of ownership. That being said, at anytime you can call the corporate office and ask to speak to the CEO, president, whomever you wish. Obviously, they aren't going to transfer you to Alan Mullaly. Don't expect that. But when they refuse, simply ask if they are denying you the right to speak to the (insert here whomever's rank) of a public company. This will get their attention. You'll be either transferred to an assistant, or will get a return call from one. This assistant will work in one of the top dogs offices. These people have far more power than anyone would ever think. They are the last line before you speak to numero uno. I have used this very method against FedEx, Blue Cross Blue Shield, AMEX, Atlanta Gas Light, and UPS and everytime it works without fail.

To give you a quick basic understanding. When my sister became pregnant with her son, she had blue cross blue shield of GA insurance. She called to verify maternity coverage, and it was confirmed she did. After a visit to her doctor in the early stages, she recieved a denial of benefits because "no maternity coverage" with her policy. I listened to her for days go round and round with those CSR's on the phone. When she finally broke down crying I asked her if she wanted me to handle it. Of course, between being a female, my sister, and pregnant you can imagine the response I got (no offense ladies, but those hormones do strange things to women......like eating pickles with dirt.....need I say more?) Now, I know for a fact that BCBS of GA and every other major corporation records all calls for "quality assurance and training purposes." Yea, no it's not for either of those. They record those conversations for use against you in court after you fly off the handle on them and try to sue. Then you look like an idiot. However, that very safeguard on their part was their downfall in this case. I called with my sister present, got my name attached to her account for the purposes of administration of phone service benefits and dealt with the issue. Of course the CSR's and their managers decided to stonewall me. No biggie. I called the corporate office after that and asked to speak to the CEO (whose name I had already looked up) Of course she was unavailable. So I asked when she'd be available. She doesn't take calls from individual customers. Really? A public companies CEO won't talk to their customers? Are you saying you will not allow me to speak to her? Well then, attention now gotten, she said she would have the CEO's assistant call me. I got a call that afternoon and explained how my sister was told she was covered and now they weren't covering her. I said, i want the tapes of the conversation pulled and verified since I have a recorded copy of that conversation. Ok, so I could bore you with the rest, but at the end of the day, though I never spoke to the CEO, they covered her for maternity.

Moral of the story is, when you can't get a reasonable solution, go straight to the top. And don't get put off. If they say they are going to return you call, ask when. If they say tomorrow, expect a call. If you don't get a call then, call back and express your displeasure immediately. Don't get mad, don't use profanity. Just push harder to the CEO. Keep pushing. They won't ignore you if you are persistant. Like I said above, I've done this with BCBS of GA, FedEx, UPS, AMEX, and so forth. It's worked every single time. So when you succeed, post it up :hyper:

• Like 1

Or for ford call 800 number - open a case file & use a regional rep. Be persistent. Use several examples & back up your position. On several occasions they have been unwilling to FIX the problems but pushed the "send me a receipt" & we will reimburse you to make you go away.

• 3 months later...

Antonio of the FordIV Team Welcome.

Can you Please comment on following concerns that seem to have been around most of the 3+ years since MFT/MLT has been released...:
1. Lat/Long direct input in nav- Why was it there & removed, returned & now finally removed again. Is it ever slated to come back? Basic $199 Garmin/Tom Toms have this ability.
2. The USB counter up to nowhere instead of say backwards to zero or say 1:30 /2:00 min reference
3. the street name not showing in top right corner of 8” main display when you leave the map section of navigation but does show up with all other changes,
4. send your contact address to navigation to set as a destination STILL bombs-( supposedly due to a country code) When will this be fixed? Strange that the paid service works but the free one does not! See below
5. “send to sync” feature of Sync services (paid service) for destination addresses that used to work with Google maps but now only deals with MapQuest – OK-BUT has been failing & not working if you use IE10 ( reg or compatibility), fails on firefox, & even sometimes now fails on google chrome.
6. the disparity of Sync services renewal fees of $60 for Ford & displayed on Ford web site but $199 for Lincoln & conveniently not displayed- must call to hear the horror, and no tiered pricing just the insane $199 Especially when the same sync services" reports ( news, sports, weather, entertainment, etc.) by the same reporter are available FREE when calling 408-752-8052. Why would Ford incorporate a free service into their Subscription system & then TRY to charge $199 for what is free & in the clear & identical by others?

Antonio of the FordIV Team Welcome.

Can you Please comment on following concerns that seem to have been around most of the 3+ years since MFT/MLT has been released...:

1. Lat/Long direct input in nav- Why was it there & removed, returned & now finally removed again. Is it ever slated to come back? Basic $199 Garmin/Tom Toms have this ability.

2. The USB counter up to nowhere instead of say backwards to zero or say 1:30 /2:00 min reference

3. the street name not showing in top right corner of 8” main display when you leave the map section of navigation but does show up with all other changes,

4. send your contact address to navigation to set as a destination STILL bombs-( supposedly due to a country code) When will this be fixed? Strange that the paid service works but the free one does not! See below

5. “send to sync” feature of Sync services (paid service) for destination addresses that used to work with Google maps but now only deals with MapQuest – OK-BUT has been failing & not working if you use IE10 ( reg or compatibility), fails on firefox, & even sometimes now fails on google chrome.

6. the disparity of Sync services renewal fees of $60 for Ford & displayed on Ford web site but $199 for Lincoln & conveniently not displayed- must call to hear the horror, and no tiered pricing just the insane $199 Especially when the same sync services" reports ( news, sports, weather, entertainment, etc.) by the same reporter are available FREE when calling 408-752-8052. Why would Ford incorporate a free service into their Subscription system & then TRY to charge $199 for what is free & in the clear & identical by others?

Hi drpepper,

My scope primarily involves providing troubleshooting assistance and technical support for the SYNC, MyFord, and MyFord Touch platforms. I hope you'll understand if I'm limited in the amount of answers I am able to provide for your great questions. These limitations exist less for political reasons and more so in that I am not the type to provide information that I do not have any official resources to back up. I cannot speculate on matters involving pricing, product design, or product development. With that said, here are my acknowledgements:

1. Just like in making a movie, a lot of great scenes end up on the cutting room floor. I imagine that overall stability ranked pretty high on the design objectives for MFT. I don't have any timelines on if this feature might return, but I can say that our development team is very receptive to customer feedback (more on that later).
  2. It is difficult to answer this one without making any presumptions on engineering's design intent. I can't really speculate.
  3. I'm not sure what you mean by "all other changes." Do you mean changes to the software or changes to the active route?
  4. I can only provide personal commentary on this one. It just makes sense that a navigation-equipped vehicle should be able to access the address info of your contacts if it's receiving the information in the first place. I imagine this would be a simple integration, but I'm also saying that out of ignorance as I'm not a programmer. Again, I cannot speculate as to the design intent behind the system's current functioning.
  5. Systems that are built upon systems can be frustrating when there appears to be a lack in performance consistency - this I completely understand. I wish I could provide further context, but to be frank I personally don't have much anecdotal experience on this concern. I've been able to troubleshoot most issues I've handled relating to the Send-to-SYNC feature - which typically involved hiccups with the customer's computer/browser. This isn't to pass the buck, as no system is perfect, but I can only provide commentary based on personal experience.
  6. I can identify the main differences between the Ford and Lincoln SYNC Services packages: the $199 Lincoln subscription includes unlimited Operator Assist sessions, while additional OA sessions with a Ford SYNC Services subscription must be purchased. The pricing reflects this difference in value. SYNC Services was tailored and built to integrate directly through the SYNC platform, allowing for live turn-by-turn directions to be transmitted to and interpreted by SYNC. There are a variety of apps and other free services that offer similar functionality - of which customers are certainly welcome to use - but it is the integration with SYNC and convenient access that drivers are willing to pay for. Again, this is only my commentary based on the opinions of previous owners that I've worked with personally.

There's a website where customers such as yourself are welcome to submit your ideas and product suggestions. You can voice your opinion and gain traction from the Ford social community here: http://social.ford.com/your-ideas/technologies/ The posts with the highest popularity are the most likely to be considered, but either way it's a fun process and interesting to see what customers come up with. You might like it. :)

Antonio

Q:#3. the street name not showing in top right corner of 8” main display when you leave the map section of navigation but does show up with all other changes,

Reply from Antonio-Tech -:I'm not sure what you mean by "all other changes." Do you mean changes to the software or changes to the active route?

Q#3 my reply back--RETYPED after it was deleted in error...

active route is not the issue...The 8" touch screen does NOT perform as intended in a certain instance when it does in all other instances...I shall explain

The street name SHOULD display in the top right line above the Nav quadrant on the main 8" display ( except home screen when it is in the quadrant) ***BUT in instance described below it disappears in ERROR. Seeking comment on when a fix will be done...MFT has been out 3 years+ & is reasonable to ask...

If you are in the map section of the navigation zone.......you leave navigation & go to radio or leave nav & go to phone- or leav nav & go to Climate-******you will lose the street name display***** in the upper top right line of main 8" MFT display where it should display during normal driving- no route selected.......UNLESS you JUMP two zones- what do I mean by that...I'll explain

IE In order for street name to display properly when leaving the navigation zone you must do a stupid "two hop " process. You want to go to entertainment but if you leave nav to entertainment -- street name goes away. Must go to climate 1st & then radio- magically pops back on display. Or must go to phone 1st & then go to radio. etc. for the disappearing street name to REAPPEAR. Hence a two hop process to FORCE the street name to reappear when it should just appear after you move from map in nav or any other of the 3 options ( phone, entertainment, climate)- home screen as stated before will display in the quadrant normally & not in upper top right line.

Please advise if Ford is aware of issue & if they deem it worthy of fixing since it has not been fixed in the past few updates.

#6. Thanks for the explanation.. But you did not mention if there is a selection of level of service? Extra feature added after vehicle purchase that drives price sky high- seems to fit perfectly with some type of tiered subscription model upon renewal- ie w/o the operator assist.

I know you are more "tech" but after your explanation & me not seeing anything posted in glossy's, pamphlets, & find the webs sites differ on style & presentation.- It all is confusing-

#6. Thanks for the explanation.. But you did not mention if there is a selection of level of service? Extra feature added after vehicle purchase that drives price sky high- seems to fit perfectly with some type of tiered subscription model upon renewal- ie w/o the operator assist.

I know you are more "tech" but after your explanation & me not seeing anything posted in glossy's, pamphlets, & find the webs sites differ on style & presentation.- It all is confusing-

drpepper,

I'm not clear on what you mean by "selection of level of service." It sounds like you might be inquiring if there will be any way to modify the services your receive in exchange for a different or lower price. I cannot speculate if this is something that will be offered in the future, but I certainly encourage you to submit your suggestions to the Ford New Idea link I provided in my previous post.

Q:#3. the street name not showing in top right corner of 8” main display when you leave the map section of navigation but does show up with all other changes,

Reply from Antonio-Tech -:I'm not sure what you mean by "all other changes." Do you mean changes to the software or changes to the active route?

Q#3 my reply back--RETYPED after it was deleted in error...

active route is not the issue...The 8" touch screen does NOT perform as intended in a certain instance when it does in all other instances...I shall explain

The street name SHOULD display in the top right line above the Nav quadrant on the main 8" display ( except home screen when it is in the quadrant) ***BUT in instance described below it disappears in ERROR. Seeking comment on when a fix will be done...MFT has been out 3 years+ & is reasonable to ask...

If you are in the map section of the navigation zone.......you leave navigation & go to radio or leave nav & go to phone- or leav nav & go to Climate-******you will lose the street name display***** in the upper top right line of main 8" MFT display where it should display during normal driving- no route selected.......UNLESS you JUMP two zones- what do I mean by that...I'll explain

IE In order for street name to display properly when leaving the navigation zone you must do a stupid "two hop " process. You want to go to entertainment but if you leave nav to entertainment -- street name goes away. Must go to climate 1st & then radio- magically pops back on display. Or must go to phone 1st & then go to radio. etc. for the disappearing street name to REAPPEAR. Hence a two hop process to FORCE the street name to reappear when it should just appear after you move from map in nav or any other of the 3 options ( phone, entertainment, climate)- home screen as stated before will display in the quadrant normally & not in upper top right line.

Please advise if Ford is aware of issue & if they deem it worthy of fixing since it has not been fixed in the past few updates.

Unfortunately, my team is not integrated with product development... therefore I am unable to lend a preview on any bug fixes or patch notes before the next iteration of software arrives. I can assure you that your feedback has been received, as all of our customer relationship interactions are well documented from both online and offline encounters. I just wish I could offer some sort of insight into how engineering determines its programming objectives, but alas this is knowledge I do not possess.

Antonio

Edited by FordIVTteam

Antonio....thanks you for your quick responses. You may not have been able to resolve the issues I have brought to light but --as you said --at least they are passed on to Ford.

From my perspective it has been a very slow & long 3 +years to get the MFT/MLT from the 2010 release version 1.8 to what- 10 + versions later --at 3.6 to a level that owners expect.

And - since this is a forum - for the exchange of ideas, experiences,- good & bad- at least others who read this web site can benefit from that time line- that to some may seem like gripping -but after 3+years we do deserve to see outstanding issues resolved by now with out adding on new ones. And in fairness ,the current version does resolve many-but the remaining issues with the added difficulty of price & loss of functions does frustrate.

Can anybody confirm that "send to sync" is working? I know ie10 has had issues...but I have tried the last 3 days & can not get Google Chrome to work to send an address to Sync so I can retrieve via sync services.

10pm EST I tried & it just spins

Tried IE 11 & no as well

Not gripping but ---geeze ---what does work?

Edited by drpepper

Googles maps no longer sync you need to use MapQuest which works perfectly. If you have a smart phone there is an app called "Send to Car" which is great. simply copy an address from your contacts or type one in

I am using mapquest. It is NOT WORING PERFECTLY. That is why I posted question.

Replies off at sync forum state same nit working. When I called 800 number they want to test different locations to see & want to blane map quest

Edited by drpepper

Thanks for the feedback. I uninstalled & reinstalled Google Chrome. I tried 3 different addresses with Mapquest 1 in PA, one in DE, & 1 in NJ. I screen cap the spinning sending that never sent. Called later afternoon & got a BETTER CSR. They opened up a case file- confirmed that one in their office could not use IE10 on their personal device but that they had IE8 on their work computers - so the could not test ie10 nor IE 11 that came out the other day. The CSR sent an address From MI through google chrome to my cell & it worked. So maybe it is a region thing?. Yea the Lincoln mobile app works that is what I wound up doing... but ...

The Idea was I had a work email with a business address for a conference I had to attend today. Made sense to cut & paste that address in a web browser & send to sync- BUT IT DO NOT WORK!!! Not from my work laptop at work nor my home pc. Yes, I can type it in car but the convenience of the day before at work send to sync & then have it download while I started my drive this morning ( I know how to get out of my home town) vs. doing in driveway this am before I left. But as stated hard to justify the $199 for the convenience Especially when more & more of the service just doesn't work reliably or keeps changing.

MY thought is I could spend time to type in the app for the "paid service" I could type in phone as a contact & then just send that contact to the nav & that is free...oh wait that feature is not working as well...

Well- I need to wait 5-7 business days to hear back from Ford sync support to see if they find a reason

Edited by drpepper

Update: I was able today-12/2/13 use mapquest via google chrome & send to a PA & DE address from my work laptop. IE10 did not work.

Tonight 12/2/13...mapquest on same version of Google Chrome w/win 7( just like at work) I was NOT ABLE TO SEND.

So Again, there is something with the reliability on Google Chrome ( some days works - MANY MANY days it does not) & no support for IE10 & await CSR at Ford Sync to tell us why & what they found out.

Edited by drpepper

• 2 weeks later...

2 weeks gone by since I opened up a case & Ford has NOT gotten back to me, Big surprise!!! So Send to sync doesn't work with IE 11, 10, 9 & the CSR are on IE8 & they have not gotten back with any answers after 2 weeks.

Antonio... what did you find out? or can find out? & not just a mapquest issue since it is a Lincoln $199 service that is not functioning.

2 weeks gone by since I opened up a case & Ford has NOT gotten back to me, Big surprise!!! So Send to sync doesn't work with IE 11, 10, 9 & the CSR are on IE8 & they have not gotten back with any answers after 2 weeks.

Antonio... what did you find out? or can find out? & not just a mapquest issue since it is a Lincoln $199 service that is not functioning.

Hi drpepper,

If you PM a ticket number I'd be happy to check for any updates to your case. You're also welcome to call in for a status update at 1-800-392-3673, options #1 then #3.

Antonio

Edited by FordIVTteam
  • Like 1

• Antonio Thanks for offer. I did PM you the case number. I tried again today. IE 11 no go -just spins.

Google chrome today- worked in a blink of an eye but over past several weeks has been very spotty most times it is NOT working.

Tried at home with same version of chrome on windows 7 home vs work windows 7 prof....& it just spins... day vs night? I don't know...

Edited by drpepper