2011 Edge/MKX My Touch and Sync Problems

Just had the 2.11 update installed yesterday. Things seem faster so far and overall working well. This morning I found I still have the case of the missing or invisible station presets. The box is just blank or sometimes it will be red without the wording. However if you click on it the station still comes on. Another thing that hasn't been addressed is the "ICE" input information for the phones 911 call to info. Most of the phonebook remains unavailable. Maybe just an iPhone thing?

I had the problem with the preset being red but no lettering. I switched to FM and then back to Sirius and problem corrected, at least for now. I have version 2.8.

Edited by 11Edge

• 4 weeks later...

Purchased 2011 Edge Limited two weeks ago. Today started it up and there is a black square in the middle of the Ford Touch screen. It appears on all screens. ( Navigation, Sirius, Climate, and Phone) It is solid and blocks everything behind it. Any ideas on what it is or how to get rid of it?

Pulling fuse 29 will reset the MFT/SYNC system so it reboots. If that doesn't fix it then there's probably a hardware issue with the APIM that the dealer will need to fix.

Purchased 2011 Edge Limited two weeks ago. Today started it up and there is a black square in the middle of the Ford Touch screen. It appears on all screens. ( Navigation, Sirius, Climate, and Phone) It is solid and blocks everything behind it. Any ideas on what it is or how to get rid of it?

Check here: http://www.fordedgeforum.com/index.php?/topic/8149-new-mft-gremlin/ I had something that sounds very similar. It appeeared will I was driving and rec'd a call. After teh call terminated the dialog box remained. The GPS was still working but was grayed out. Eventually I found that if I put in a new destination it cleared itself.

Check here: http://www.fordedgeforum.com/index.php?/topic/8149-new-mft-gremlin/ I had something that sounds very similar. It appeeared will I was driving and rec'd a call. After teh call terminated the dialog box remained. The GPS was still working but was grayed out. Eventually I found that if I put in a new destination it cleared itself.

Pulled the Nav card and reinserted it. Everthing loaded up and the black box was gone. Thanks for all the help.

CCTraveler

• 1 month later...

With all the issues that the MFT is having I think you may see a whole new redesign within a couple of years. Look at what Cadillac is coming out with next year. Truly amazing tech that appears to work as intended

Cadillac CUE

This brought to mind the Edge and MFT ads I watched a couple of years ago. It looked like it worked then.

With all the issues that the MFT is having I think you may see a whole new redesign within a couple of years. Look at what Cadillac is coming out with next year. Truly amazing tech that appears to work as intended

Cadillac CUE

Touching the screen while driving sounds like an accident about to happen, what happens after the warranty runs out and this technology goes belly up? and what will the cost be to repair it? just don't get it why we need all this cr*p and distractions?

Touching the screen while driving sounds like an accident about to happen, what happens after the warranty runs out and this technology goes belly up? and what will the cost be to repair it? just don't get it why we need all this cr*p and distractions?

Touching a button or turning a knob isn't that much different. Touching a button may actually be quicker AND safer. As they say... to each their own. No one is forcing anyone to buy it

• 3 weeks later...

I've had my 2012 for a week and a half without any problems until today. I may have created it myself tho.

I started it and put it in reverse before it got booted up and the MFT screen went berserk. Locked up,nothing worked on it and the clock stayed at the time that I started the car for almost an hour. Sometimes it lost a couple of minutes, bluetooth wouldn't connect, nav system wouldn't work and the screen would periodically shut off.

After driving it for about 40 minutes I got a message for an SD card fault. When I got to my destination, I shut the car down, pulled the SD card and put it back in and prepared to call the dealer's service dept. When I restarted the car, all was well. Poltergeists?

OK, went out to pick up supper and the screen was blank again. Few minutes into the drive the "SYNC" screen came up and said it was performing maintenance. After it did that, was OK. WTH?

Edited by Frisco1522

I've had my 2012 for a week and a half without any problems until today. I may have created it myself tho.

I started it and put it in reverse before it got booted up and the MFT screen went berserk. Locked up,nothing worked on it and the clock stayed at the time that I started the car for almost an hour. Sometimes it lost a couple of minutes, bluetooth wouldn't connect, nav system wouldn't work and the screen would periodically shut off.

After driving it for about 40 minutes I got a message for an SD card fault. When I got to my destination, I shut the car down, pulled the SD card and put it back in and prepared to call the dealer's service dept. When I restarted the car, all was well. Poltergeists?

OK, went out to pick up supper and the screen was blank again. Few minutes into the drive the "SYNC" screen came up and said it was performing maintenance. After it did that, was OK. WTH?

I'd consider that pretty normal operation (as bad as it is). The way the system is currently written, it seems to have a problem with dealing with too many interrupts at once so when it gets busy, it tends to exhibit unexpected behavior. Unlike earlier versions, it's also designed to detect this and at the first opportunity, reboot, which is what you're seeing when the "Scheduled Maintenance" screen comes up.

Until the full re-write comes out int the spring (keep your fingers crossed) you'll have to learn to live with it.

Until the full re-write comes out int the spring (keep your fingers crossed) you'll have to learn to live with it.

Just got a marketing e-mail from Ford. Check out this quote:

Simpler. Faster. Better.

We're continually exploring ways to make your driving experience more rewarding. To that end, a new MyFord Touch performance upgrade will include improvements integrated into upcoming 2013 model-year vehicles equipped with MyFord Touch. This upgrade, which enhances the system and adds features, will also be provided to all existing MyFord Touch owners at no charge. You can look forward to redesigned screens, new functionality and more.

• 1 month later...

It's not that bad. We've had ours for about 2 months and I've had to "reboot" it once. Other than that it works pretty good but does have a few "quirks" like not responding to button presses right away sometimes. I have faith that the new version will fix a lot of these problems, though. Ford has a lot riding on this software and a lot of cars it's in or going into. I don't think they're going to make the same mistake twice and that's why we haven't seen the new version yet...

It's not that bad. We've had ours for about 2 months and I've had to "reboot" it once. Other than that it works pretty good but does have a few "quirks" like not responding to button presses right away sometimes. I have faith that the new version will fix a lot of these problems, though. Ford has a lot riding on this software and a lot of cars it's in or going into. I don't think they're going to make the same mistake twice and that's why we haven't seen the new version yet...

Also understand that Ford has been working on this for close to a year and without any pressure from a new product launch to push it out the door before it's ready. They're also using 1000 Ford employees as beta testers. Knowing Ford's management I don't think they'll allow that mistake to be made twice.

I used to be mildly entertained by the new faults I would discover with the MLT on my MKX. But it's been quite a while since I had a brand new one, in fact 2.11 has been working rather well for the last couple of months. Yesterday though I opened the locked passenger door, sat down and watched the screen turn on all by itself. I watched the Sync "scheduled" service reboot sequence, after which I had a fully functioning Sync system. Neat trick considering at no time did I touch the start button or enable aux. power. I wonder how often my vehicle's Sync system reboots itself and plays the radio while I'm not around?

I had my first adventure into pulling fuse 29 today.

On my way home at lunch the display once I went into drive showed only black with the cancel button on the left and the zoom button on the right. Now the buttons did nothing when pressed and on my right side 4" display when I got to the nav section ironically just said it wasn't working and to refer to the touch screen.

I stopped and restarted the car a couple of times and it would show the camera when I went into reverse but when I went to drive, just the cancel and zoom buttons, otherwise it was black.

I proceeded to fight with the fuse cover and wrenched my neck enough until I was able to grab fuse 29, pulled it and all came back to operational.

What a pain in the rear that was.

I officially owned my car for one year yesterday. Until 2.11 I've never had to resort to the fuse 29 trick.

2.11 sucks and I wish I'd never upgraded it, and I use the term "upgraded" begrudgingly.

I have also noticed a trend with my v2.11 and of course am not happy. If the new upgrade doesnt fix these things I am seriously considering another vehicle.

1. The phone disconnects itself once a week. Not being able to re-pair the system to the phone I have to delete and then re-pair using the sync code etc.. Consistently happens.

2. Changing stations from the steering wheel becomes impossible once a week. I then have to master reset the system. Sometimes this works and sometimes not.

3. I also notice about once a week that the screen incorporates icons for the CD player when the Sirius or regular radio is on. The play, fast forward and rewind icons right in the middle of the screen. Master reset done due to #2 but then this problem will still exist. Turning the car off overnight seems to work. Also with this problem, the text messaging stops working too having regained its function in the morning.

I refuse to pull any fuses or disconnect any battery cables. A $44,000 car !! No way. Gotta have faith right?

• Like 1

Has anyone seen this? Blank big screen, heat goes full blast, small screen says communication temporarily not available.

This happened twice today. The dealer told me to disconnect the battery, I did this, 30 miles later problem came back.

I want a extended warranty on this system.

This a 2011 ford edge, MFT , 1100 miles. I hate this car. I want my 11 year old VW back. I have never had a new car where basic features would just stop operating. ( radio, heat /ac, hazard button, fan speed)

I should have bought the Jeep.

Has anyone seen this? Blank big screen, heat goes full blast, small screen says communication temporarily not available.

This happened twice today. The dealer told me to disconnect the battery, I did this, 30 miles later problem came back.

I want a extended warranty on this system.

This a 2011 ford edge, MFT , 1100 miles. I hate this car. I want my 11 year old VW back. I have never had a new car where basic features would just stop operating. ( radio, heat /ac, hazard button, fan speed)

I should have bought the Jeep.

Just wait for the "Performance Upgrade" :-)

It will fix all the problems!

Yeah. Right. I'll believe it when I see it.

Just wait for the "Performance Upgrade" :-)

It will fix all the problems!

Yeah. Right. I'll believe it when I see it.

I took the car to the shop today, It happened two more times.

At the shop, the ford service manager said " I have never seen this one". He gave me a loaner, said I may need the loaner for a week.

Then he had the nerve to ask me if I liked my new car. I told him I hate the car, wished I would have never purchased the car. I am praying they buy the car back, I know that won't happen.

Hey Wilson- I had a glitch! Today my phone just wouldn't connect which i quickly figured out that the blue tooth just wouldn't stay on in the car. So tonight I pulled the battery before dinner and reconnected after. Everything works again, plus I noticed that now I can select some of my addresses in my phone book and set them as my destination so that navigation would kick over. Not all addresses work and I don't know why not. I also don't remember if this worked before and I just never tried it, but I do know I have been doing a lot of cleaning up of my address book.

Who knows. But I thought you would like to know that I had a glitch. Hopefully it isn't the start of a trend. :)