2011 Edge/MKX My Touch and Sync Problems

The new thing for our phone is to connect and will alert when a call is received but if you select to answer you can't hear the caller and they can't hear you. You can pick up the phone and force it to speaker but all the time MFT says it is connected and thinks it is functioning. This one comes and goes, you never know when it is going to happen though it does happen 100% of the time we force the MFT to pair with a phone.

Hey Wilson- I had a glitch! Today my phone just wouldn't connect which i quickly figured out that the blue tooth just wouldn't stay on in the car. So tonight I pulled the battery before dinner and reconnected after. Everything works again, plus I noticed that now I can select some of my addresses in my phone book and set them as my destination so that navigation would kick over. Not all addresses work and I don't know why not. I also don't remember if this worked before and I just never tried it, but I do know I have been doing a lot of cleaning up of my address book.

Who knows. But I thought you would like to know that I had a glitch. Hopefully it isn't the start of a trend. :)

Congratulations! It took 15 months, but you got a glitch!

(I knew you could do it)

• 2 weeks later...

Amy:

I am not familiar with a recall in relation to the Edge owners overall... but I know that Ford will be releasing before April a complete remake of the MyFord Touch software. Yes, the idea was to improve readability, use of the touch screen, the interaction of the various inputs (phone, bluetooth music, climate, navigation, radio, satellite, radio, etc. I think what you have gotten from your dealer is supposed to be a temporary fix before the total remake is ready. I wouldn't think they would take away navigation, ambient lighting and other items (those are line item features of your model). Please call your dealer to ask about how those are supposed to be activated. I try to release information as I get it from Ford on my website www.fordtechlane.com so I will be following this.

The new thing for our phone is to connect and will alert when a call is received but if you select to answer you can't hear the caller and they can't hear you. You can pick up the phone and force it to speaker but all the time MFT says it is connected and thinks it is functioning. This one comes and goes, you never know when it is going to happen though it does happen 100% of the time we force the MFT to pair with a phone.

Nice, this happened to me today. I made a call (well, received a call). Then connected to the "sync services" (no clue why I really did that, but I did. I haven't figured out any real value to doing so yet). The Edge I am playing with was bought new just a few days ago. Fully loaded 2011 Edge Limited FWD... Sadly, I am concerned that updating the sync system last night from the website might have been a mistake. I had a few issues before just after purchasing... nav going dark, slow as molasses response times... lock ups... and stuff... now the phone... absolutely love the car... love the nav and stuff (if it works)... hoping the fix i am reading about works. More than a couple times I have had to turn the car off and open the door, then close it to reset the system sort of. which doesn't always work. I have since found a video that shows where the power connector is to the system under the fuse panel hatch. unless someone has a better idea... (still reading I am sure I will find many). Wish I could expedite a fix somehow...

Nice, this happened to me today. I made a call (well, received a call). Then connected to the "sync services" (no clue why I really did that, but I did. I haven't figured out any real value to doing so yet). The Edge I am playing with was bought new just a few days ago. Fully loaded 2011 Edge Limited FWD... Sadly, I am concerned that updating the sync system last night from the website might have been a mistake. I had a few issues before just after purchasing... nav going dark, slow as molasses response times... lock ups... and stuff... now the phone... absolutely love the car... love the nav and stuff (if it works)... hoping the fix i am reading about works. More than a couple times I have had to turn the car off and open the door, then close it to reset the system sort of. which doesn't always work. I have since found a video that shows where the power connector is to the system under the fuse panel hatch. unless someone has a better idea... (still reading I am sure I will find many). Wish I could expedite a fix somehow...

Do a master software reset through the touch screen, that fixed a lot of my problems. Also, to do an occasional reboot, instead of pulling a fuse or disconnecting the battery, somewhere on this site there is a delayed reboot program. You put it on a thumb drive, connect it in your car and it loads in about 10 seconds. The next time you start the car you get the "Sync performing system maintenance" reboot.

Do a master software reset through the touch screen, that fixed a lot of my problems. Also, to do an occasional reboot, instead of pulling a fuse or disconnecting the battery, somewhere on this site there is a delayed reboot program. You put it on a thumb drive, connect it in your car and it loads in about 10 seconds. The next time you start the car you get the "Sync performing system maintenance" reboot.

Maybe that will help the other poster but it did nothing for me except clear my settings and phones. Also my unit reboots every few dys on its own several times in a row. Dealer just replaced the APIM on Friday; haven't seen a reboot yet but the audio sources have switched twice on their own so it doesn't looks like my problem is gone with 2.11.

Maybe that will help the other poster but it did nothing for me except clear my settings and phones. Also my unit reboots every few dys on its own several times in a row. Dealer just replaced the APIM on Friday; haven't seen a reboot yet but the audio sources have switched twice on their own so it doesn't looks like my problem is gone with 2.11.

The Master reset does wipe out all your saved settings. I don't do that one anymore.

One of the most annoying features of 2.11 MFT is the random audio source. Out of the blue, it will decide to switch.

Wooo hoo! My lawyer called me today and Ford made me an acceptable offer for my Edge. Bought it in October of 2010 and have had 4 software updates and the APIM module replaced. Still problems with 2.11.

It's basically a big, big, big rebate and I keep the car. I'll provide more details when I see the paperwork.

My car does that on it's own about every 3rd to 4th time I start the vehicle. The touch screen stays black anywhere from 5-10 minutes. Then, the sync logo comes on and it says "Sync performing routine system maintenance". Then when it is done it works fine for a little while before it freezes again, or the main touch screen stops communicating with the smaller right side one near the speedo cluster and then it says "nav fault" or something like that consult touch screen... which is either black or not responding. 7-days into owning a ford for the first time and all I can say is, I love the car... I hate the Nav system and all it's little myfordtouch/sync problems. At least it seams to primarily be an operating system issue.

Yesterday our Edge sat in the driveway because the screen was completely inoperable. No control over anything including heat. Getting too cold around here to have a one year old sitting in a freezing car for an hour or so. Screen was stuck indicating radio was on phone was paired but none of this was true. The wife called me for help but since the screen was unresponsive I couldn't have her do a master reset. When I got home the screen was locked in the same state...even indicated the same time. The other strange thing was as soon as I approached the vehicle (after unlocking door) the screen was on. What worries me even more was the fact it remained on after closing the doors and locking the vehicle. Really concerned she will go out one morning and the battery will be dead. I ended up pulling the fuse and that forced a reboot. After that it seemed to have some functionality. Though it wouldn't pair to my phone.

In spite of liking how it handles and rides, I'm completely disillusioned with this vehicle. I've had my 2011 Edge since middle of March 2011 and have had nothing but problems with the MFT. It freezes and resets itself frequently and had been in the shop for software "upgrades" 4 times, the most recent time I was told that Ford is sending out thumb drives Jan '12 (now - but haven't rec'd yet) to upgrade and "FIX" all the touch and sync problems. Right. I've also had a couple of transmission hard shifts, but of course they can't ever find anything wrong when it's in the shop.

The Nav mapping is a joke. It doesn't even have my town's post office! And, destinations frequently are about 1/10th+ of a mile off from actual location. Whoever they used as a mapping service is extremely inaccurate.

It was dead completely coming out of a concert last December and I had to call Ford Roadside Assistance. When I took it in to the dealer, of course they couldn't find anything wrong, nor give any reason why the vehicle was completely dead after sitting in the parking lot for only 2 hours. It had not been running, was not out of gas, and lights were not left on.

I'm VERY dissatisfied with the mileage - hovers around 18.8, and I live very rurally so most of my driving is at around 55. I'm also not real thrilled with the sun-roof. Oh, it's big enough, but come on! Even my 1999 Blazer sun-roof would shut automatically when the vehicle was turned off. This roof requires two presses and second one has to be held down to finish the closing. I was a Chevy gal, and woe is me that I didn't stay one. As soon as I feel I've gotten a little of my money's worth out of this heap, I'll be trading back to a Chevy and will also never buy another Ford.

We have also have a Ford F-250 Super duty for towing our RV and are starting to have ongoing issues with that (for another Forum, I know, I know.) Just saying....Ford???

In spite of liking how it handles and rides, I'm completely disillusioned with this vehicle. I've had my 2011 Edge since middle of March 2011 and have had nothing but problems with the MFT. It freezes and resets itself frequently and had been in the shop for software "upgrades" 4 times, the most recent time I was told that Ford is sending out thumb drives Jan '12 (now - but haven't rec'd yet) to upgrade and "FIX" all the touch and sync problems. Right. I've also had a couple of transmission hard shifts, but of course they can't ever find anything wrong when it's in the shop.

The Nav mapping is a joke. It doesn't even have my town's post office! And, destinations frequently are about 1/10th+ of a mile off from actual location. Whoever they used as a mapping service is extremely inaccurate.

It was dead completely coming out of a concert last December and I had to call Ford Roadside Assistance. When I took it in to the dealer, of course they couldn't find anything wrong, nor give any reason why the vehicle was completely dead after sitting in the parking lot for only 2 hours. It had not been running, was not out of gas, and lights were not left on.

I'm VERY dissatisfied with the mileage - hovers around 18.8, and I live very rurally so most of my driving is at around 55. I'm also not real thrilled with the sun-roof. Oh, it's big enough, but come on! Even my 1999 Blazer sun-roof would shut automatically when the vehicle was turned off. This roof requires two presses and second one has to be held down to finish the closing. I was a Chevy gal, and woe is me that I didn't stay one. As soon as I feel I've gotten a little of my money's worth out of this heap, I'll be trading back to a Chevy and will also never buy another Ford.

We have also have a Ford F-250 Super duty for towing our RV and are starting to have ongoing issues with that (for another Forum, I know, I know.) Just saying....Ford???

The MFT update is due end of January assuming no major problems occur in beta testing. You'll also get a new SD card with new nav maps.

Sounds like you won't be happy with anything but a Chevy regardless.

Our screen has stayed on several times now. So I wouldn't be surprised if somehow the MFT was the drain of the power and caused it to be dead. This is now my fear as it happened again yesterday. At this point I think I may at the very least switch cars with the wife. I can't have her stuck somewhere with a one year old in the cold waiting for a jump, We bought the car because we wanted something with more room and would be more reliable than her old Audi, so far this is not the case. I am hoping things will turn around but unfortunately I am losing faith.

Add me to the list of freakin aggravated MFT users. After a week with my new Sport the MFT had been flaky then decided yesterday it didn't want to connect to my phone for bluetooth audio, the phone portion actually worked fine, but no audio on bluetooth just says "connecting to Bill's iPhone" then says "disconnected" and then resets to AM radio, lovely. Now the USB cable won't even work, it shows all the info like it's playing but nothing is coming out, zero audio. The other day it froze when I hung up a call and locked the system up, which of course knocks out the climate control. Then to top it off today it wouldn't shut off. I shut the car off, everything stopped, the screen when black but the audio was still playing, completely jacked up. My Wife's Edge (yea we have 2) has similar issues with hers.

I thought I could overlook the flakiness we were seeing in her car but she doesn't drive it much, I'm over the top flippin' aggravated with it. I called my sales rep out today (good friend of mine) and basically cussed him out about it. He laughed which made me calm down. Ended up having to pull the fuse twice today to reboot the system. It started working normally for a few then the bluetooth quits starting up right away like it's supposed to and then just stops connecting. It's weird it breaks in phases. Phase 1 it works, Phase 2 the bluetooth doesn't startup when I turn on the car, but you can manually connect, Phase 3 total failure to recognize my iPhone.

FORD HURRY UP ALREADY, if not your getting this heap back and I'm buying something else!

I'm not big on FaceBook but I stopped by the Edge site. Tech there is telling people to pull the SD card or hit the voice button in hopes of fixing the MFT. Add that to the list of ways to temporarily fix MFT.

This reminds me of when I pulled my SD card for a week. I was testing to see if that would help my system. Nope. It didn't help a thing.

Funny we were told to remove our phones from the system. I know they aren't causing the problem but we did it anyway just to prove a point. But I couldn't believe it when that was their suggestion. One of the primary reasons we bought this car was the fact it was supposed to integrate the phone so well that we would never have to take our hands or eyes off the road. Funny several free headsets, headphones, BT speakerphones, laptops etc all connect via BT to these phones with no problems. But according to Ford this system can't seem to handle them.

Oh and removing the SD card did nothing the one time I tried. I think I got a Nav Fault message and then a reboot. Pulled the card but the system continued rebooting for 10+ minutes.

My salesman suggested that if I encounter a problem, to disconnect the Posative battery cable for a minute or 2, then reconnect and start the car. The system will then reboot, takes a few minutes. He said this is better than pulling fuse 29.

Edited by JOEHIO

My salesman suggested that if I encounter a problem, to disconnect the Posative battery cable for a minute or 2, then reconnect and start the car. The system will then reboot, takes a few minutes. He said this is better than pulling fuse 29.

There's a reason he's called a "salesman."

Ok. We've had our 2012 ecoboost edge for 3 weeks now and love the driving experience and sportiness. But MFT has already crashed once. The dealer did some sort of update and works ok now. I've gotten used to the use of it now and like it more and more every day, but the slow response of controls really sucks. I can't believe Ford released such a terd of a system. I can't wait for updated 2013 software. If the new version fixes the MFT issues, then this car will be near perfect. Just my take on it.

I just purchased a new 2012. I have been reading about the Touch issues for years here on the Edge Forums. I did not hesitate on the new Edge mainly because, I know a fix is looming. Sure it may not be perfect... but if a fix is pending.... I will risk it.

I tried the 2012 Audi with MMI and the Wife has a 2010 Honda CRV with Nav... in my opinion Sync still BLOWS away at least those two options... buggy or not.

Rayo