2011 Edge/MKX My Touch and Sync Problems

I'm leaning towards a flaky APIM for those having severe problems. I think Ford should at least attempt to replace the APIM for these owners while waiting for the rewrite.

Already got one of those...no change. But I am wondering if Ford uses re-manufactured components for warranty work. So they pull mine bench test it, reload software and send it back out. So maybe those of us that had it replaced actually got one that was a problem before?? Not sure what to think.

Already got one of those...no change. But I am wondering if Ford uses re-manufactured components for warranty work. So they pull mine bench test it, reload software and send it back out. So maybe those of us that had it replaced actually got one that was a problem before?? Not sure what to think.

Possible but I think it's more likely that there is just a bad batch of them and they're not bad enough that it fails completely. Or as suggested earlier it could just be some combination of usage that hits more of the bugs for some people than others. It could be as simple as whether you use seat heaters or not that uses a different part of the code and that triggers more faults. I've seen some pretty strange things in my 25 years in IT.

The good news is that once the update is out then continued problems would point more towards hardware and should make it easier to resolve. Right now they just don't know whether it's hardware or software.

Had the wife's MKS in thisn past week for LOF & tire rotation, talking with the Service tech about problems people are having, he said until the update isn out, disconnect the Postive(red) battery cable for 5-10 minutes, not just a few seconds or 1 minute. He said that, like a computer, every app should shut down completely before reconnecting (reboot). This dealership ( Maplecrest ) is the same one that helped out another forum member out in 'Vegas, who's dealership had no idea about the program rewrite for the rear liftgate.

Joe, you and I have conflicting advice. One day when I was driving to work I got the black screen of death. I was not able to bring it in to the dealer so they sent a tech out to my work to look at it. He disconnected the negative lead and left it off for a minute or two (maybe longer, I don't remember). I wrote down what he did in case I needed to do it again on my own. After reading your post, I called the dealer and spoke to a employee who went and asked the same tech which lead it was. He confirmed it was negative. Can you double check with your dealer?

Joe, you and I have conflicting advice. One day when I was driving to work I got the black screen of death. I was not able to bring it in to the dealer so they sent a tech out to my work to look at it. He disconnected the negative lead and left it off for a minute or two (maybe longer, I don't remember). I wrote down what he did in case I needed to do it again on my own. After reading your post, I called the dealer and spoke to a employee who went and asked the same tech which lead it was. He confirmed it was negative. Can you double check with your dealer?

You're always supposed to disconnect the negative lead for safety reasons. If, while disconnecting the negative battery lead you accidentally touch a grounded part of the car - nothing happens. But if you're disconnecting the positive lead and accidentally touch a grounded part of the car you just completed the circuit. There is no difference which one you disconnect electrically speaking - both work, but using the neg. cable is much safer.

Possible but I think it's more likely that there is just a bad batch of them and they're not bad enough that it fails completely. Or as suggested earlier it could just be some combination of usage that hits more of the bugs for some people than others. It could be as simple as whether you use seat heaters or not that uses a different part of the code and that triggers more faults. I've seen some pretty strange things in my 25 years in IT.

The good news is that once the update is out then continued problems would point more towards hardware and should make it easier to resolve. Right now they just don't know whether it's hardware or software.

Doubtful it could be a bad batch. I thought most of the manufacturers were doing JIT/FIFO manufacturing so if my Edge was made a year ago that batch would be long gone by now.

I have designed/installed tons of automated industrial equipment over the years with far more complicated software than this, so I know what you mean by finding some strange bugs. But with that said our MFT is only controlling radio and HVAC at this point. No phones are paired and with the exception of this weekend I don't bother with the nav. But I can't believe there could be bugs in this portion of the code since it would mean everyone would have the problems. Besides, often we are greeted with a black or locked screen on start up before anything has been touched.

Doubtful it could be a bad batch. I thought most of the manufacturers were doing JIT/FIFO manufacturing so if my Edge was made a year ago that batch would be long gone by now.

I have designed/installed tons of automated industrial equipment over the years with far more complicated software than this, so I know what you mean by finding some strange bugs. But with that said our MFT is only controlling radio and HVAC at this point. No phones are paired and with the exception of this weekend I don't bother with the nav. But I can't believe there could be bugs in this portion of the code since it would mean everyone would have the problems. Besides, often we are greeted with a black or locked screen on start up before anything has been touched.

I understand and agree. Could also be wiring or connectors.........

• Like 1

Hey Richy,

I was right there when they disconnected/reconnedted the posative cable, when I thought I had a problem with the car, and it actually was a problem with my Ipod. I'll call them tomorrow to see what they say on this, will add a post asap.

Joe

Hey Richy,

I was right there when they disconnected/reconnedted the posative cable, when I thought I had a problem with the car, and it actually was a problem with my Ipod. I'll call them tomorrow to see what they say on this, will add a post asap.

Joe

Joe - it works fine but it's not the safest way to do it for the reasons I already described. It's much safer to use the negative cable. I'd steer clear from a mechanic who didn't know this.

Quick question..I bought my Edge two weeks ago, love it so far..When I registered my Sync online, it said that there was an update available for my vehicle..I went to the dealership and asked about getting the update and I was told that they don't do an update unless there is a problem with the system I currently have..

I don't have any issues, but if there is an update out there, shouldn't I be getting it??..It didn't make sense to me..Just thought I'd ask to see if the dealership gave me the right answer..

Quick question..I bought my Edge two weeks ago, love it so far..When I registered my Sync online, it said that there was an update available for my vehicle..I went to the dealership and asked about getting the update and I was told that they don't do an update unless there is a problem with the system I currently have..

I don't have any issues, but if there is an update out there, shouldn't I be getting it??..It didn't make sense to me..Just thought I'd ask to see if the dealership gave me the right answer..

What they told you was correct. Because ford makes you jump through hoops to get things done you have to be experiencing a

problem. Give it a day and you shoud experience one glitch and they will then do it for free. It's a Ford thing not a dealer thing.

You always have the option of downloading the update and doing it yourself. Remember if you ask it to place a call and it does

not understand you that is a problem. It's a shame you have to stretch the truth to get Ford to pay the dealer so they will do it

for you. My 2011 was shipped with 2.7 dealer has upgraded it to 2.8 and then to 2.11 i have very few problems with my system.

Enjoy your system.

What they told you was correct. Because ford makes you jump through hoops to get things done you have to be experiencing a

problem. Give it a day and you shoud experience one glitch and they will then do it for free. It's a Ford thing not a dealer thing.

You always have the option of downloading the update and doing it yourself. Remember if you ask it to place a call and it does

not understand you that is a problem. It's a shame you have to stretch the truth to get Ford to pay the dealer so they will do it

for you. My 2011 was shipped with 2.7 dealer has upgraded it to 2.8 and then to 2.11 i have very few problems with my system.

Enjoy your system.

Thanks for clarifying that..Wow, I thought Ford's customer service was top notch!!..I had an 05' Mazda RX-8 and I was totally impressed with their customer service..Hmmmm

Ut ohhhh, for some reason my Sync isn't recognizing my voice!!..Rats!!..(Wink Wink)

Thanks for clarifying that..Wow, I thought Ford's customer service was top notch!!..I had an 05' Mazda RX-8 and I was totally impressed with their customer service..Hmmmm

Ut ohhhh, for some reason my Sync isn't recognizing my voice!!..Rats!!..(Wink Wink)

If your system is working fine - you may not want to upgrade to the newer version. The re-write is coming "soon", but the old saying of if it isn't broke - don't fix it, is very true with this system. Good luck.

well my 2012 edge sport seems to have it's first symptoms of 2.11 buggy software today. started car up and I had no audio, i'd push the audio screen and it wouldn't go. so after I came back out from the store my audio started working again, but not the voice button on the steering wheel doesn't work. ughhh

The only issue I have had on my 2012 Edge is... EVERY time about 2-3 minutes into driving the car, the steering wheel controls for the up/down station select stops working for 20-30 seconds. It "stores" the command in memory (or somewhere) and will then execute it 2--30 seconds later. The touch screen station selector will work.

So... if I am on Station A, and use the Steering Control to move down to Station B, it will not move until 20-30 secs have elapsed. If, while waiting, I move the Station to B using the touch screen, the radio will tune to Station C eventually (since the "move down" command is buffering or something).

Everything else functions well. Have had the car since the end of September.

Just curious, YanksWinAgain, what dealership did you get your Edge at? I got mu MKX at Maplecrest, over in Union, have a servicde dept that I have been VERY satisfied with. Been with them for 3 1/2 years, since my wife's '09 MKS.

Joe

All American in Hackensack. Tried a few others around me (Mahwah Ford and Route 23), but Hackensack had the best price. Haven't tried service yet. Still very low miles.

You might try and disconnect the neg battery cable for 5 minutes, then reconnecting. This will force the system to reboot when you start back up, will take a minute or 2 to do this. Has solved many problems. You wil need a 10 mm wrench for this. If this doesn;t work, I would go back to the dealer, and get paperwork after your visit, for backup, in case of any problems (hopefully not) down the road. I remember a saying from years ago (being in I.T. for a living) -

"To error is human, to really foul things up, requires a computer". (MFT)

Our has done that twice... I'm guessing within a day or two it'll crash and reboot which resolves the issue (for a while). Can always do a manual reset yourself and it'll come back too. It did "fix itself" once just by stopping, powering off and restarting the car.