2011 Edge/MKX My Touch and Sync Problems

I'm new to the forum and glad to have found it as a new Edge owner. I was interested in a couple of the comments regarding the apparent ability to turn Gracenote on and off. Can someone reference where the instructions are for doing that so I can see my Ipod's Cover Art?

Hit the red corner, then USB (or the name of your USB device when plugged in). From there, I think there is an "Options" button in the lower right. From there you will find (I think after a scroll-down) the "use grace note cover art" with an on-off button. Make sure it is off.

Good luck! I still find with my iPhone 4 that some cover art won't come through. My suspicion is the graphic size. I don't think the system auto-scales pictures to fit and I think some cover art is not "normal size" (just a theory..never followed it up).

Enjoy your Edge! I love mine. :shades:

(PS: Cool feature that is not well publicized: You can send a destination from google maps (in a PC Web Browser) to your Car's nav system via Sync. Very handy.)

How do you do the destination from google maps on your PC web browser to your Cars nav system via Sync? Thanks in advance!

Hit the red corner, then USB (or the name of your USB device when plugged in). From there, I think there is an "Options" button in the lower right. From there you will find (I think after a scroll-down) the "use grace note cover art" with an on-off button. Make sure it is off.

Good luck! I still find with my iPhone 4 that some cover art won't come through. My suspicion is the graphic size. I don't think the system auto-scales pictures to fit and I think some cover art is not "normal size" (just a theory..never followed it up).

Enjoy your Edge! I love mine. :shades:

(PS: Cool feature that is not well publicized: You can send a destination from google maps (in a PC Web Browser) to your Car's nav system via Sync. Very handy.)

How do you do the destination from google maps on your PC web browser to your Cars nav system via Sync? Thanks in advance!

Find destination in Google maps.

Click "Send" in upper right, select Car, select make of car (Ford/Lincoln), input your cell phone number, then send.

Go to car.

Click voice button, say "Services". Phone call will connect. The first option it will offer you is to download directions from Google maps. Respond "Yes" to the prompt of "Do you want to download these directions?".

Make sure you press "Set as destination" or my experience says it will loose what was downloaded if you go to another screen. I have also been unable to do "Save as Favorite" at this point. It acts like it is saving it, but when I go to "My Favorites" folder what I downloaded is not there. Not sure what I'm doing wrong on this point, but it will download it for use as a destination on the spot.

Good luck!

• 1 month later...

I have the 2011 Ford Edge Limited and the Synch system has been a big problem since day 1. It is extremely frustrating!!! I've been to the dealership several times for updates and nothing seems to help. I was told they would have a final solution on April 20th. This morning I had it updated again and in the afternoon the system reset itself while I was driving. Does anyone know if there is a class action lawsuit in progress? If not, does anyone know how to start one? I want to be reimbursed for this. They should test their vehicles before putting them on the market. I am paying a lot of money to drive this vehicle and it is not meeting my expectations.

• Like 1

I have the 2011 Ford Edge Limited and the Synch system has been a big problem since day 1. It is extremely frustrating!!! I've been to the dealership several times for updates and nothing seems to help. I was told they would have a final solution on April 20th. This morning I had it updated again and in the afternoon the system reset itself while I was driving. Does anyone know if there is a class action lawsuit in progress? If not, does anyone know how to start one? I want to be reimbursed for this. They should test their vehicles before putting them on the market. I am paying a lot of money to drive this vehicle and it is not meeting my expectations.

I have been meaning to come back (have not checked here for a while) to update folks on what I am finding. I have not heard there is a new update, so I will have to get that and see if it helps.

Here is my main list of issues I still encounter which are unacceptable :rant2: :

- Inconsistent BT streaming from my iphone 4. Works most of the time, but then does not others. I use the BT audio more the than the cable.

- No contact photos from the iphone 4 (just annoying because it is touted in EVERY brochure and web photo for the car).

- Lots of glitchy lockups and hangups...resulting in the need for force a re-boot by pulling the wonderful fuse #29.

- Generally laggy touch-screen touch response. Real hit and miss...especially if you are used to other devices like an iPad or Android phone.

- My biggest complaint, and it seems to have gotten worse recently, is the slow response time during the first 2-3 minutes after start up (I assume due to background boot up time). Voice commands don't become available and most functions you may want the second you get in the car (navigation, phone and voice commands) are of no use. It is very frustrating at times when I need to set a destination while zipping away right after startup and you need to know directions quickly. :shift: The radio always works...but the seek button on the steering wheel does not if you want to change the channel in the first few minutes after starting the car.

- Oh, and this may not be sync related, it drives me crazy that if my liftgate is closing but has not latched when I start the car, it makes the liftgate go back up. I always have to remember to hear the click before I push the start button. Only an issues if you have the automatic lift gate.

To be clear, I do love this car :happy feet: . I keep finding little wonderful engineering and design touches and enjoy driving it every day (I drove the Lexus 350 when shopping and still feel the 2011 Edge trumps it in a ton of ways). The overall design of the mytouch is great, especially the left/right LCD's flanking the speedometer...which often are faster and easier than voice command and you don't really need to take your eyes of the road to change/use them. Ford got out ahead of the competition on this type of dashboard tech, but at the cost of too many bugs. We are used to bugs in our phones and PC's, but we are not tolerant of them in our cars. If anyone from Ford reads this: Please be sure that besides software improvements you consider upgrading all of us 2011 Edge owners with updated hardware to improve the system performance.

I have been meaning to come back (have not checked here for a while) to update folks on what I am finding. I have not heard there is a new update, so I will have to get that and see if it helps.

Here is my main list of issues I still encounter which are unacceptable :rant2: :

- Inconsistent BT streaming from my iphone 4. Works most of the time, but then does not others. I use the BT audio more the than the cable.

- No contact photos from the iphone 4 (just annoying because it is touted in EVERY brochure and web photo for the car).

- Lots of glitchy lockups and hangups...resulting in the need for force a re-boot by pulling the wonderful fuse #29.

- Generally laggy touch-screen touch response. Real hit and miss...especially if you are used to other devices like an iPad or Android phone.

- My biggest complaint, and it seems to have gotten worse recently, is the slow response time during the first 2-3 minutes after start up (I assume due to background boot up time). Voice commands don't become available and most functions you may want the second you get in the car (navigation, phone and voice commands) are of no use. It is very frustrating at times when I need to set a destination while zipping away right after startup and you need to know directions quickly. :shift: The radio always works...but the seek button on the steering wheel does not if you want to change the channel in the first few minutes after starting the car.

- Oh, and this may not be sync related, it drives me crazy that if my liftgate is closing but has not latched when I start the car, it makes the liftgate go back up. I always have to remember to hear the click before I push the start button. Only an issues if you have the automatic lift gate.

To be clear, I do love this car :happy feet: . I keep finding little wonderful engineering and design touches and enjoy driving it every day (I drove the Lexus 350 when shopping and still feel the 2011 Edge trumps it in a ton of ways). The overall design of the mytouch is great, especially the left/right LCD's flanking the speedometer...which often are faster and easier than voice command and you don't really need to take your eyes of the road to change/use them. Ford got out ahead of the competition on this type of dashboard tech, but at the cost of too many bugs. We are used to bugs in our phones and PC's, but we are not tolerant of them in our cars. If anyone from Ford reads this: Please be sure that besides software improvements you consider upgrading all of us 2011 Edge owners with updated hardware to improve the system performance.

Hopefully an update to V2.8 will smooth things out SYNC-wise. What are you on now?

As for the liftgate, that's part of the operation. Starting the car requires much of the amperage available from the system and overrides the power liftgate. I hate to say it, but it's in the manual.

I thought it strange too, but that's how it is, not a glitch.

Hopefully an update to V2.8 will smooth things out SYNC-wise. What are you on now?

As for the liftgate, that's part of the operation. Starting the car requires much of the amperage available from the system and overrides the power liftgate. I hate to say it, but it's in the manual.

I thought it strange too, but that's how it is, not a glitch.

My 2011 limited does not do that with the tail gate. I am always throwing things in the back

and then jumping in the car and hitting the start button. The tailgate has always contnued to close.

Are you sure you are not doing something else like putting it in gear?

V2.4, so indeed another update awaits my next trip to the dealer!

Manual? Kidding....never thought to look at that. It makes sense though, but you think it would just "hold and resume" once the engine was running. Interesting someone else says they don't have that issue. Oh well, very minor inconvenience. I have just learned to dawdle a few seconds (like buckling my seat belt before I start the car) and all is well.

Still a ton of pluses and just a few minuses after 6 months of operation...would recommend a 2011 Edge over many other crossovers I have driven!

Amusing Story: Had someone in the car today and the cross-traffic went off as I backed up and had to explain it. Then I said "Now that I think about it, this car really tries hard to make sure NOTHING hits it" (as I realized the back up camera/beeps, Cross Traffic, Blind Spot indicator, Collision Alert and adaptive cruise means this car really works pretty hard at keeping anything from hitting it).

Manual? Kidding....never thought to look at that. It makes sense though, but you think it would just "hold and resume" once the engine was running. Interesting someone else says they don't have that issue. Oh well, very minor inconvenience. I have just learned to dawdle a few seconds (like buckling my seat belt before I start the car) and all is well.

Still a ton of pluses and just a few minuses after 6 months of operation...would recommend a 2011 Edge over many other crossovers I have driven!

Amusing Story: Had someone in the car today and the cross-traffic went off as I backed up and had to explain it. Then I said "Now that I think about it, this car really tries hard to make sure NOTHING hits it" (as I realized the back up camera/beeps, Cross Traffic, Blind Spot indicator, Collision Alert and adaptive cruise means this car really works pretty hard at keeping anything from hitting it).

Sorry i do have that issue. I guess im just slow getting in the car and starting it.

Mine did do the same thing this morning when i tested it. I feel stupid and

i stand corrected.

I have had my 2011 Edge since 11/1/10 I think the Sync system worked for maybe 12 days. Here I am after these months and unbelievable amount of trips to the dealer(13), conducting 17 software upgrades (latest 2.8v.), still with a broken Sync and the consolation of the dealer staff telling me that I'm not the only one with the problem and I have to be patient until a solution is found. Meanwhile I keep on receiving a bill from Ford Credit for $450 every month on a lease. Great Job Ford for allowing Microsoft to ruin the reputation you worked so hard to achieve. (Sorry, Just Venting)

I have had my 2011 Edge since 11/1/10 I think the Sync system worked for maybe 12 days. Here I am after these months and unbelievable amount of trips to the dealer(13), conducting 17 software upgrades (latest 2.8v.), still with a broken Sync and the consolation of the dealer staff telling me that I'm not the only one with the problem and I have to be patient until a solution is found. Meanwhile I keep on receiving a bill from Ford Credit for $450 every month on a lease. Great Job Ford for allowing Microsoft to ruin the reputation you worked so hard to achieve. (Sorry, Just Venting)

Ford only has themselves to blame.

It's not Microsoft that that wrote the Touch system.

I would agree with this as well. The Windows CE platform is used in thousands of ATMs, medical devices, scanners, etc, and is in itself very stable and reliable. You have 3 things in SYNC (hardware platform, operating system (Microsoft), and the SYNC application itself). The first 2 appears to be solid, it's the app which is currently problematic.

I had my updated to 2.8 a couple of weeks ago. The service dept. did a good job and know what they are doing. The service manager told me that Ford brought in an entire team from Microsoft and is helping Ford with the MFT issues. So, no its not Microsoft.

Only issue I have is playing MP3's via Blutooth, sometime it works perfect and sometimes not at all.

13 TIMES?!? After 5 visits I would have gotten a Lawyer. Try going to Royal Oak Ford they know what they doing.

Turns out I am on the most current version and Syncmyride is not up to date. I called my dealer to inquire about the update and said that I am on the most current version which was the one that went out for the recall. He said they are working on a new one that should continue to improve and address the issues in a few months (just in time for the next oil change). :shift: Hopefully this is the one someone above mentions they brought Microsoft experts in for.

All of a sudden, I am unable to call up Sirrius stations with Sync, has

this happened to anyone else?

This happened to me over the weekend as well on a trip. My understanding is that the channel lineups have just changed and our radios had to download the new information. Mine seemed to be stuck on the down part of our trip (about 2 hours), but by the next morning everything was working fine. I still have an occational problem where my "Browse" feature in Sirius will just seem to hang or will come up with a blank screen, but I have seen that before this latest update.

This happened to me over the weekend as well on a trip. My understanding is that the channel lineups have just changed and our radios had to download the new information. Mine seemed to be stuck on the down part of our trip (about 2 hours), but by the next morning everything was working fine. I still have an occational problem where my "Browse" feature in Sirius will just seem to hang or will come up with a blank screen, but I have seen that before this latest update.

I did the Sirius update and it worked for a week. Now I can't say the name of the channel. I can say the number or touch the preset and it is OK. Here is the resolution, which is to say there is no resolution yet:

OASIS SPECIAL SERVICE MESSAGE NUMBER: 21871

MESSAGE TITLE: 2011 EDGE/MKX, EXPLORER, AND 2012 FOCUS MYTOUCH EQUIPPED VEHICLES - USING VOICE COMMANDS FOR SIRIUS CHANNELS ON OR AFTER 5/5/2011

APPLICABLE VEHICLES :

2011 TRUCK : 00176 EDGE

2011 TRUCK : 00134 EXPLORER 4DR

2011 TRUCK : 00177 MKX

2012 CAR : 00122 FOCUS

OASIS MESSAGE :

SOME 2011 EDGE/MKX, EXPLORER AND 2012 FOCUS VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH MYFORD TOUCH

OR MYLINCOLN TOUCH MAY EXHIBIT INCORRECT SIRIUS CHANNEL SELECTIONS USING VOICE

COMMANDS AFTER SIRIUS CHANNEL UPDATES ON OR AFTER 5/5/2011. A FUTURE SOFTWARE

UPDATE WILL BE RELEASED TO ADDRESS THIS CONCERN. MONITOR OASIS FOR UPDATES

I did the Sirius update and it worked for a week. Now I can't say the name of the channel. I can say the number or touch the preset and it is OK. Here is the resolution, which is to say there is no resolution yet:

OASIS SPECIAL SERVICE MESSAGE NUMBER: 21871

MESSAGE TITLE: 2011 EDGE/MKX, EXPLORER, AND 2012 FOCUS MYTOUCH EQUIPPED VEHICLES - USING VOICE COMMANDS FOR SIRIUS CHANNELS ON OR AFTER 5/5/2011

APPLICABLE VEHICLES :

2011 TRUCK : 00176 EDGE

2011 TRUCK : 00134 EXPLORER 4DR

2011 TRUCK : 00177 MKX

2012 CAR : 00122 FOCUS

OASIS MESSAGE :

SOME 2011 EDGE/MKX, EXPLORER AND 2012 FOCUS VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH MYFORD TOUCH

OR MYLINCOLN TOUCH MAY EXHIBIT INCORRECT SIRIUS CHANNEL SELECTIONS USING VOICE

COMMANDS AFTER SIRIUS CHANNEL UPDATES ON OR AFTER 5/5/2011. A FUTURE SOFTWARE

UPDATE WILL BE RELEASED TO ADDRESS THIS CONCERN. MONITOR OASIS FOR UPDATES

Thanks for the info, please let us know when the patch is available, since Ford does not mail updates

I am not sure if i would count the first couple as unacceptable, but i can say i am having the same lag time on startup. Having come from 1.8 it is quite noticable and this is really bad if you jump in the car, nav to a favourite destination then drive off. Regarding the liftgate closing i can only say that i broke the back molding (above the licence plate) off when it popped back up when i started the car and i reversed out of my garage without noticing. THIS WAS MY FAULT, but not happy.

Regarding your software bugs - software is software, regardless on the device etc. I guess since we spend soo much more on a car we expect better. But the only way to sort out bugs is to give it to the hands of users for them to do crazy and illogical stuff, that developers would never contemplate doing.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2011 Ford Edge, 2200 miles on it (2 months old). I have been delighted overall with the car until this week, when the Sync system failed completely. It continuously tries to reboot itself ("Performing scheduled system maintenance"). I took it to the dealer today, who identified a failed "APIM Module". They said it will take one week for the part to get in. I am a first time Ford owner. My ownership experience just turned from awesome to awful in a span of just a couple days.

What is the fix for the channel problem? Is it a software update? If so, what release do we need to ask for?

Thanks!

It is a software update that you have to go to the dealer for. I don't know what it is called and honestly I don't care, I just want it fixed. Service guy at dealer emailed me and told me it was available

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought a Edge last friday, and agree with a previous posts in regards to the value of the car. But, I have a questions. My Sync/Mytouch sometimes does not read my touch when I try to search for things or try to cancel a route and so forth. I get frustrated and have to use the voice command.

My assumption is that maybe the heat that the screen produces, does not allow my touch to register with the screen. Also, the screen lags horribly sometimes.

Does anyone else have this problem?