2011 Edge/MKX My Touch and Sync Problems

It is a software update that you have to go to the dealer for. I don't know what it is called and honestly I don't care, I just want it fixed. Service guy at dealer emailed me and told me it was available

The update is available on the sync sight at the top of the page click on community and

scroll down and it is availabe and works.

I just bought a Edge last friday, and agree with a previous posts in regards to the value of the car. But, I have a questions. My Sync/Mytouch sometimes does not read my touch when I try to search for things or try to cancel a route and so forth. I get frustrated and have to use the voice command.

My assumption is that maybe the heat that the screen produces, does not allow my touch to register with the screen. Also, the screen lags horribly sometimes.

Does anyone else have this problem?

The over all responsiveness of the touch screen I think is an issue that has been noted in various places. There is a slight "touch delay" when you compare to other touch screen devices you use (iPad, iPhone, Droid, Xoom, etc.). I find you just have to get used to leaving your finger on the screen an extra 10th of a second or so to ensure it registers. After a while you just get used to that rhythm of touching the screen. This is I think "the way it works" (was designed) and is just awkward if you are used to instant touch reaction from other devices. :banghead:

I note it is way worse in the first two minutes of operation as the system boots up. I almost don't notice it any more as I have trained myself to press and hold that fraction longer (without pushing "harder").

On the bright side the included cloth really does a great job cleaning the prints off of the screen. :baby:

The over all responsiveness of the touch screen I think is an issue that has been noted in various places. There is a slight "touch delay" when you compare to other touch screen devices you use (iPad, iPhone, Droid, Xoom, etc.). I find you just have to get used to leaving your finger on the screen an extra 10th of a second or so to ensure it registers. After a while you just get used to that rhythm of touching the screen. This is I think "the way it works" (was designed) and is just awkward if you are used to instant touch reaction from other devices. :banghead:

I note it is way worse in the first two minutes of operation as the system boots up. I almost don't notice it any more as I have trained myself to press and hold that fraction longer (without pushing "harder").

On the bright side the included cloth really does a great job cleaning the prints off of the screen. :baby:

The "touch delay" you are noticing is mostly due to the resistive screen technology that is used versus capacitive touch screens on the other devices you named.

I too have noticed that during start up, you don't want to give the system too many inputs, whether touch or voice. To be honest, I don't use Sync in the first 1 minute in order to avoid frustration.

Hopefully, they find a way to optimize the startup.

Is this the Sirius Patch you are talking about?

...because Sync Updates are not in this area.

here is a link to the Topic http://boards.synccommunity.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?tsn=1&nav=messages&webtag=fordsyncmb&tid=3904 The link to the file is on this page.

The discussion is under Sync Announcements on the Owner to Owner Page

Edited by curlysir

OK, here is a new one that happened to me this morning. I don't think I have seen anyone else report this one so I may be charting new territory for bugs with this one. When I started up my car this morning there was no radio playing at all, and then I heard "Call ended". Then I heard it again. This kept on going for about 5 minutes until I went in and manually disconnected my phone from the system. Still had to fidget a bit to get the radio to play, eventually when I switched it over to Sirius and back that seemed to get it unstuck. When I arrived at work I re-connected my phone and it still seemed to be stuck in this "Call ended" loop. I am running 2.8 and have been for a while now. The only changes to my system is I did install that Sirius channel patch 2 days ago which worked and did solve that problem. I guess if it's still doing it tonight I will call my dealer. :-(

• 3 weeks later...

Just joined the forum and happy to be here! Unfortunate that my first post falls under a "problem" category. That being said, my issues are as follows:

I have had a few problems with Sync since I purchased the car in April. (2011 Edge SEL) The problems were getting progressively worse and now the system doesn't work at all after only two months of ownership!

The first issue I attribute to the phone and not the car, but I would attach my bluetooth phone (old nokia) and I could receive calls through the Sync system, but not dial out. Attempting to dial out would cause the system to just hang until I canceled the call.

The second issue is with my USB. I had my ipod attached via USB and everything was working great. Then one day it stopped working and now I can't get the USB to work at all.

Now yesterday, I started the car and the touchscreen was blank except for a message stating "No Program". Restarting the vehicle cleared the error. This morning I started it and it was the same problem. This time restarting the vehicle does nothing to rectify this problem.

Any suggestions on dealing with these issues? Will pulling "a" fuse bring back the screen and USB?

It might. It certainly won't hurt anything and it's free!

You could also disconnect the negative battery cable for 10 minutes. This will reset the system and is just about as easy as pulling the fuse. And you don't have to stand on your head to disconnect the battery cable :D

• Like 1

Any suggestions on dealing with these issues? Will pulling "a" fuse bring back the screen and USB?

Welcome to the joy of Edge ownership! It is a great car and I love mine. Though the MyTouch/Sync is still uber-unstable. I often have problems with the BT myself, as well as lock ups, problems with the Nav system, etc. It just seems as weeks go by the system gets unstable (does remind me of Windows). In fact, every 2-3 weeks I end up re-booting my sync system by pulling fuse 29 to get it back to stable. In fact, just today it totally locked up and it had to re-boot.

As the engineers did not design a way for us to reboot our systems, we are forced to pull fuse 29. Pulling and reinserting this fuse will force a reboot of the system Sync system. This is evidenced by a Sync screen with a boot-up like progression bar. It says it is doing "planned system maintenance" or some such thing but it is just a reboot screen. No data is lost with this fuse pull reboot. This gets my system back to normal...for a few weeks. You can find many references to Fuse 29 throughout these forums (that's how I learned!)

The service department said a month or so back a big patch was coming...so hopefully that will bring more stability to the Sync/MyTouch System.

well, there's one thing good I can say about my experience since I got my Edge Sport updated to 2.8 a few months back. I no longer need to pull fuse 29. On the other hand, this past week or so the system reboots on its own almost once a day. It typically happens in the middle of the day, not first thing in the morning. It takes a good 10 minutes for MyFordTouch to be usable. Other than that, the system has behaved quite well. Responsive after starting the engine is still sluggish for the first few minutes, but then all is well until that next reboot. It was rebooting every week or so after the upgrade, but it suddenly increased in frequency.

I need to find the time to schedule it for service as I expect that it means a new PIM is needed. This doesn't seem to be just software...

-steve

Purchased a 2011 Edge SEL last Friday but since there was an issue with something getting onto the chrome wheels they put me in a Limited model until they can get 4 new rims from Ford. Everything worked fine from the dealership until I got home. Went to start her up for a weekend trip to SA and guess what? Black screen of death, tried fuse 29 a few times withought any luck. What a crappy drive with no radio etc. I do not know what version of sync was intalled but it was a brand new limited with 13 miles on the odometer. I am bringing it back to the dealership tomorrow to pick up my SEL and check what version is has currently. Very frustrating first experience for sure!

Purchased a 2011 Edge SEL last Friday but since there was an issue with something getting onto the chrome wheels they put me in a Limited model until they can get 4 new rims from Ford. Everything worked fine from the dealership until I got home. Went to start her up for a weekend trip to SA and guess what? Black screen of death, tried fuse 29 a few times withought any luck. What a crappy drive with no radio etc. I do not know what version of sync was intalled but it was a brand new limited with 13 miles on the odometer. I am bringing it back to the dealership tomorrow to pick up my SEL and check what version is has currently. Very frustrating first experience for sure!

To update this, I returned the loaner limited for an identical loaner and everything is working fine currently. I need to figure out how to determine what version of Sync this has.

Welcome to the joy of Edge ownership! It is a great car and I love mine. Though the MyTouch/Sync is still uber-unstable. I often have problems with the BT myself, as well as lock ups, problems with the Nav system, etc. It just seems as weeks go by the system gets unstable (does remind me of Windows). In fact, every 2-3 weeks I end up re-booting my sync system by pulling fuse 29 to get it back to stable. In fact, just today it totally locked up and it had to re-boot.

As the engineers did not design a way for us to reboot our systems, we are forced to pull fuse 29. Pulling and reinserting this fuse will force a reboot of the system Sync system. This is evidenced by a Sync screen with a boot-up like progression bar. It says it is doing "planned system maintenance" or some such thing but it is just a reboot screen. No data is lost with this fuse pull reboot. This gets my system back to normal...for a few weeks. You can find many references to Fuse 29 throughout these forums (that's how I learned!)

The service department said a month or so back a big patch was coming...so hopefully that will bring more stability to the Sync/MyTouch System.

Thanks! I do hope there is a update soon. Having bought the car only a short time ago and already having to pull a fuse for correct operation is poor business practice. In any case, pulling fuse 29 solved the lock-up issue as I suspected it would. The side-effect is that I lost all my presets and settings. It didn't take long to put them in, but I am really not looking forward to doing this every couple weeks/months. That's unacceptable. The only issue not rectified by cycling the fuse was my USB failure. My USB port still does not work. It used to, but no longer. :(

Thanks! I do hope there is a update soon. Having bought the car only a short time ago and already having to pull a fuse for correct operation is poor business practice. In any case, pulling fuse 29 solved the lock-up issue as I suspected it would. The side-effect is that I lost all my presets and settings. It didn't take long to put them in, but I am really not looking forward to doing this every couple weeks/months. That's unacceptable. The only issue not rectified by cycling the fuse was my USB failure. My USB port still does not work. It used to, but no longer. :(

Strange you lost all your presets with a fuse pull, I've pulled mine a couple of times and never lost anything. I do know if you do a master reset it does delete the phone pairing and nav setup options and door lock settings etc,, but even that I didn't lose my radio presets..

M.

Strange you lost all your presets with a fuse pull, I've pulled mine a couple of times and never lost anything. I do know if you do a master reset it does delete the phone pairing and nav setup options and door lock settings etc,, but even that I didn't lose my radio presets..

M.

I thought it was odd too based on what others were saying on the forum. That being said, it crashed again this morning. So the next step is the dealer. I am not looking forward to this at all... I could rant for hours about how this is a massive amount of BS and what-not, but I really just want the darned thing fixed.

Sadly, I have to wonder why we all accept the fact that our new computer doesn't work. What if you bought a US$1000 computer at say...Best Buy, and after you got it home the USB port stopped working, then the DVD drive stopped opening, then the video stopped working, then the sound, then something else, and each time you were required to unplug it from the wall to fix the problem? After a few times back to the repair shop you'd have a new computer or your money back. Now why doesn't that happen when I spend US$40,000 with Ford? My legal advice was that I wouldn't stand a chance against Ford alone, but a class action would be different. Until that time, I am happy to share my documented failures of this system with anyone who will listen. Hopefully, this will save some new sucker the grief that we are all experiencing. I wish that I had a better message to spread. Oh, my heirloom tomatoes are rockin this year, but that's a topic for another forum.

Edited by netizenX

I've given up on Sync. Been to the dealer several times for updates since September. Finally got Bluetooth to pair and now can't receive calls even though it says 'connected'. My phone rings but the car doesn't. Voice inputs don't work anymore when I press the steering wheel button. The Sync lag is ridiculous when I'm trying to adjust the climate or radio. Its unacceptable for a $40000 Ford to be having Bluetooth issues. It seems like everyone's having issues there should be some kind of mass recall to get this fixed. Ford's reliability has been sinking fast this past year after making great strides the years prior.

Took my six month old Lincoln MKX to the dealer to have the latest SYNC updates (three Notices of updates) installed, in conjunction with a 10K kilometer

(6K Mile) service.

They had the car for the full day i.e. from 7.30 am until 5.00 p.m because, according to the Service Manager, "the mechanic worked for 4½ hours to do the

Sync upgrade before getting to the rest of the service". That's another hassle story .. No functioning Air Conditioning .. Technician says " a system check

(costing me $120.00 + Tax ) indicates the AC meets specs. therefore it must be /is working fine.." So much for Under WARRANTY maintenance.

What a joke. And here is the real hook, If I go to a maintenance facility other that Ford to have it fixed I could "Void the Vehicle Warranty".

Well! The upgraded SYNC isn't so upgraded. I have lost all my Navigation 'Favourite' destinations' and 'settings'. Not a big deal but no one mentioned this would

happen and not exactly a 'confidence in the system' builder. I think I'll be sticking with my trusty "Tom-Tom" for navigation. I can rely on it.

More irritating is the fact that I have lost my phone 'bluetooth' function. There again it's not really a big loss as the "Voice Recognition" never worked me anyway.

And the word "Intuitive" which Ford uses to describe it is a joke.

I don't have that many contacts on my phone and it was always a hassle to try and get 'her majesty' to dial the correct one. Forget about a request to find a

business establishment or the like. The system never ever comes close to working in the way it is shown in the commercials..

Oh and as an aside, If you are a Canadian owner driving in the USA and think you will be covered by "Roadside Assistance" .. FORGET IT. At least if you are driving

a LINCOLN and suffer a breakdown. After calling and going through a routine to provide your VIN Number, License Plate (TAG) Number etc you will be redirected

to the USA provider where you will be told that.. "they only service automobiles built and REGISTERED in the USA".. and if you insist on speaking to a Supervisor you

may be told, as I was, that.. "LINCOLN is a Chevvy product and we only deal with Ford customers.." No Kidding Folks.. truth is stranger than fiction.

Oh Yes.. Then try using your "Bluetooth" with "Intuitive Voice Recognition Technology" to connect you with a Ford Dealer / Any Dealer/ OK a Gypsy tow-truck operator.

Good luck if your car is disabled / switched off, and eighteen wheelers are whizzing by as you sit helpless / terrified at the side of the freeway looking for "Connectivity".

Or as a wise man said "I can't speak highly enough of this product".

Took my six month old Lincoln MKX to the dealer to have the latest SYNC updates (three Notices of updates) installed, in conjunction with a 10K kilometer

(6K Mile) service.

They had the car for the full day i.e. from 7.30 am until 5.00 p.m because, according to the Service Manager, "the mechanic worked for 4½ hours to do the

Sync upgrade before getting to the rest of the service". That's another hassle story .. No functioning Air Conditioning .. Technician says " a system check

(costing me $120.00 + Tax ) indicates the AC meets specs. therefore it must be /is working fine.." So much for Under WARRANTY maintenance.

What a joke. And here is the real hook, If I go to a maintenance facility other that Ford to have it fixed I could "Void the Vehicle Warranty".

Well! The upgraded SYNC isn't so upgraded. I have lost all my Navigation 'Favourite' destinations' and 'settings'. Not a big deal but no one mentioned this would

happen and not exactly a 'confidence in the system' builder. I think I'll be sticking with my trusty "Tom-Tom" for navigation. I can rely on it.

More irritating is the fact that I have lost my phone 'bluetooth' function. There again it's not really a big loss as the "Voice Recognition" never worked me anyway.

And the word "Intuitive" which Ford uses to describe it is a joke.

I don't have that many contacts on my phone and it was always a hassle to try and get 'her majesty' to dial the correct one. Forget about a request to find a

business establishment or the like. The system never ever comes close to working in the way it is shown in the commercials..

Oh and as an aside, If you are a Canadian owner driving in the USA and think you will be covered by "Roadside Assistance" .. FORGET IT. At least if you are driving

a LINCOLN and suffer a breakdown. After calling and going through a routine to provide your VIN Number, License Plate (TAG) Number etc you will be redirected

to the USA provider where you will be told that.. "they only service automobiles built and REGISTERED in the USA".. and if you insist on speaking to a Supervisor you

may be told, as I was, that.. "LINCOLN is a Chevvy product and we only deal with Ford customers.." No Kidding Folks.. truth is stranger than fiction.

Oh Yes.. Then try using your "Bluetooth" with "Intuitive Voice Recognition Technology" to connect you with a Ford Dealer / Any Dealer/ OK a Gypsy tow-truck operator.

Good luck if your car is disabled / switched off, and eighteen wheelers are whizzing by as you sit helpless / terrified at the side of the freeway looking for "Connectivity".

Or as a wise man said "I can't speak highly enough of this product".

I think you should find another dealership. Sounds like these guys are idiots and dishonest.

Well, I just completed the second of two major road trips in my 2011 Edge, as well as rolling over past 10k miles on the odometer so i thought I would give an update on the problems I have seen. My car is running 2.8 version of code which I believe to be the latest/greatest.

On the first road trip 3 months ago my navigation locked up after about 5 hours of driving. Would not move, would not respond to input. Luckily we were close enough to home we could find our way that time. After being locked up for about 90 minutes it rebooted itself and was fine after that.

On this bigger trip we came out after stopping for lunch to find the center 8" screen blank and non-responsive after starting the car. Both of the smaller screens were running though. No radio, nav, voice recognition, etc, but at least the climate system was still working. Pulled fuse 29 for the first time which got it going. Too bad that fusebox isn't a little easier to get to, and being behind 2 separate doors is a nice touch. :-)

I have also noted other problems such as a non-responsive audio system pretty regularly now. I found a workaround for that is to switch between Sirius and AM/FM and back and it seems to clear it up.

I still have the problem at least weekly where the voice will come on and say "call ended" when I wasn't on a call to begin with. Sometimes this will only happen once, sometimes it will continue for several minutes.

My Sirius channel presets seem to come at go at will. I thought it was related to the channel changes but I applied the fix for that, and when they decide to come back they are all correct so not sure what is up there.

Given that I am a good way through my 36,000 mile BTB warranty I have decided I need to start creating a better paper trail of problems so I have scheduled a service appointment for later this week to address the latest fuse pulling incident. I know until later software is available the dealer probably can't really do anything but I figured, again, I need to start creating a record of these problems. I will say, when i called my dealer to make the appointment he asked me a series of questions over the phone which clearly demonstrated they have a much better understanding of what is going on with the Touch system over when I bought my car 7 months ago and they didn't even seem to know they sold something called the Touch system. That said, my dealer has always been fabulous and I would recommend them to anyone, I don't blame my problems on anyone locally.

Does anyone know if there are any plans for Ford to offer an extended warranty on this Touch system? I have a pretty high level of fear for the time when I hit 36k and I'm literally on my own dollar for keeping this thing running.

All this whining aside, I still like the system, and am still impressed by it's capabilities when it's working well. But if all of us are going to basically beta test this new software for Ford I think we deserve more for our problems than a warranty that expires right about the time they get the bugs ironed out of it...

Rumor on the Ford Explorer facebook page from Rebecca at Ford says the new update will be out by August 12. There were no details on what the update will contain/fix/change...

The explorer page is more active then the edge page on facebook if you are going there for any information. Might finally be time for an update on my car. Maybe. I will let Wilson go first. :)