2011 sport 3.7L engine noise

pro 5.0

We just took delivery of our 2011 edge with a 3.7L V6 engine. Got the vehicle home and noticed a slight ticking noise coming from the engine at idle, shut off vehicle and checked the oil

level it was full. There is a ticking noise that is coming from the injectors which is normal. The noise I heard sounded like a lifter noise. Has anyone else come across this issue. You

know that ford is probably going to say that this is a design characteristic. Has anyone else experienced this issue. Thanks for your input.

• 2 weeks later...

Pro 5.0

Ford has issued a "Special Service Message" about this kind of concern. You might want to enquire at your dealer.

Thanks for the response B_Bob.

Ford claims that this noise will not cause any engine damage, Which just tells me that they don't know what is causing it.

It would be a shame to crack into a brand new engine. We will just have to wait and see what TSB comes out for this. These

engines are just put into production without being properly tested. Just what everyone wants a $ 50,000.00 vehicle that has

all the bells and whistles, but an engine that sounds like it has 200,000 plus kms. Quality is job 1 YEAH RIGHT!

Thanks for the response B_Bob.

Ford claims that this noise will not cause any engine damage, Which just tells me that they don't know what is causing it.

It would be a shame to crack into a brand new engine. We will just have to wait and see what TSB comes out for this. These

engines are just put into production without being properly tested. Just what everyone wants a $ 50,000.00 vehicle that has

all the bells and whistles, but an engine that sounds like it has 200,000 plus kms. Quality is job 1 YEAH RIGHT!

These engine have solid bucket type followers They are adjustable, some slight ticking may be heard under hood, but I wouldn't expect to hear it with the hood shut.

The cams have to come out to complete adjustment, as all clearances are measured, then the buckets removed, shims measured and the proper sized shim to set clearance is installed.

These engine have solid bucket type followers They are adjustable, some slight ticking may be heard under hood, but I wouldn't expect to hear it with the hood shut.

The cams have to come out to complete adjustment, as all clearances are measured, then the buckets removed, shims measured and the proper sized shim to set clearance is installed.

The noise is not related to an adjustment issue as the noise is variable and not a constant.

I beleive that it may be related to some issue with the design characteristics of the variable valve timing.

Even with the hood closed the noise is very audible from inside the vehicle. Ford says that the noise will happen

at start up and go away. This is not the case there is a design issue somewhere. It may be related to the cam phasers

or some part in the valvetrain, it may possibly have something to do with the oil passages in the cylinder heads. Who knows

at this point. It is 100% related to the 3.7L engine as I have heard this same noise in 5 other brand new edges and lincoln mkx models.

This condition may not be heard by the average driver as their ears may not be tuned in to such noises from the engine.

The noise is not related to an adjustment issue as the noise is variable and not a constant.

I beleive that it may be related to some issue with the design characteristics of the variable valve timing.

Even with the hood closed the noise is very audible from inside the vehicle. Ford says that the noise will happen

at start up and go away. This is not the case there is a design issue somewhere. It may be related to the cam phasers

or some part in the valvetrain, it may possibly have something to do with the oil passages in the cylinder heads. Who knows

at this point. It is 100% related to the 3.7L engine as I have heard this same noise in 5 other brand new edges and lincoln mkx models.

This condition may not be heard by the average driver as their ears may not be tuned in to such noises from the engine.

Ah, ok. A different sound than a "lifter" type noise. Yes, it could be the cam phasers.

I've gone through the SI on the 3.7, and the way the timing chains are set up, there is 1 primary chain and 2 secondary chains that are driven off the intake cams behind the actual phaser itself.

I did not notice any odd sounds coming from the motor, when I was looking at a sport several months ago, but I wasn't really listening.

No bulletins or messages about it that I can find.

• 4 months later...

We just took delivery of our 2011 edge with a 3.7L V6 engine. Got the vehicle home and noticed a slight ticking noise coming from the engine at idle, shut off vehicle and checked the oil

level it was full. There is a ticking noise that is coming from the injectors which is normal. The noise I heard sounded like a lifter noise. Has anyone else come across this issue. You

know that ford is probably going to say that this is a design characteristic. Has anyone else experienced this issue. Thanks for your input.

This may be related to your experience:

My 2011 edge with 5300 miles on it has metal tapping noise on start up, I took it to the dealer a month ago and they said that they could not hear it. Over the next few weeks the noise increased in volume and the duration of time before it subsided, so i took it back to the dealer and left it there so I could return when the engine would be cold and have the tech be there with me and listen for the noise together. This time he heard it and then he stated that it did not sound normal for a new engine but he thought Ford would decline to do anything about it. When I picked it up the next day (it was also there for a defective interior trim issue) the service writer produced a "497000-engine noise concern" bulletin. This stated that some 2011 edges may have a tick or metal tapping noise upon start up and warm up but it would not damage engine or cause long term durability concerns and engineering is investigating this concern and recommends no repairs be attempted.

It seems to me that if Ford is investigating it, then they don't know what it is, and therefore how could they know how this might affect the engine over time.

• 7 months later...

I am working for a international automotive supplier in the engine system division (we develop engine control units). Today my colleague asked me if I drive a diesel engine. The knocking sounds like typical diesel engine. He assumes misfire. I did not hear it from inside. (side note: outside temp.: 19F; gas: 95ROZ/85MOZ)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone gotten anywhere with the noise? I believe mine is getting louder and I am getting more concerned and of course the dealers tell me it is normal!

Thanks

Scott

There is a fix for this it is a oasis tsb 11 11 15. It involves putting oil restrictors into the camshaft on the cylinder head closest to the front of the vehicle.

It raises the oil pressure to eliminate the ticking.

Repair kit # AT4Z - 6A296 - A . Just had it done and it fixed the problem, I can't beleive that so many people have viewed this post and no one had any answers it has been over a year.

Well I started this post and I just ended it. Good luck to all. :rolleyes:

I have 2 potential solutions to this problem:

1) Crank the radio

2) Have extended warranty.

Seriously, I haven't heard it on mine, am I pretty tuned in to what's going on in my vehicles. Not saying it isn't there, but if it is on mine, I don't hear it. Thanks for providing a solution!!

Edited by richy

There is a fix for this it is a oasis tsb 11 11 15. It involves putting oil restrictors into the camshaft on the cylinder head closest to the front of the vehicle.

It raises the oil pressure to eliminate the ticking.

Repair kit # AT4Z - 6A296 - A . Just had it done and it fixed the problem, I can't beleive that so many people have viewed this post and no one had any answers it has been over a year.

Well I started this post and I just ended it. Good luck to all. :rolleyes:

How can I get this TSB? I just had a quick look at motorcraftservice.com and www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/tsbs/ but I did not find it. :-(

Thx for any hint.

I only said that because I looked it up in oasis.

No worries

My goal was to inform anyone having this problem that there is a fix for it.

It is very frustrating when you spend your hard earned money on something BRAND NEW and you are faced with this type of problem.

We buy new so that we don't have to deal with such issues.

I hope everyone can benefit from this post. :shift:

No worries

My goal was to inform anyone having this problem that there is a fix for it.

It is very frustrating when you spend your hard earned money on something BRAND NEW and you are faced with this type of problem.

We buy new so that we don't have to deal with such issues.

I hope everyone can benefit from this post. :shift:

Can someone tell me where to pull up this tsb??????????

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I recently took delivery of a factory ordered 2013 with the 3.5 litre engine. Same described noise that goes away after the motor warms up. The service writer at my dealer says that he recognizes this as an abnormal sound, but the tech refused to comment on it. This tells met that this is not a normal sound, and that he is reluctant to implicate Ford or the dealership on something that they cannot fix. BTW - this is in Canada, and they say that any US TSB does not apply in Canada, even though all Edge's are built in Canada. I know that the TSB refers to older(2011) vehicles, but the described problem sounds like the same thing on my vehicle. I have built enough engines in my time to know what a single bad lifter sounds like, so this is not a cam phaser.

Does anybody else have this problem with a 2012 or 2013 Edge? My first Ford experience. :hyper:

Cheers,

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

I'll just add that this issue probably hasn't been fixed at the factory. I have a 2013 Sport and the engine ticking is VERY loud. Not just at start up but after a 30 minute drive as well. The noise has gotten louder as my motor is breaking in. I'm currently a little over 5,000 miles.