2011 sport 3.7L engine noise

pro 5.0

• 9 months later...

Very curious what the long term outlook is for this particular TSB. We are currently looking at a new (used) 2011 Edge with less than 23,000 Km (Canada), the vehicle, the ride, is beautiful, my wife loves the car, but when just doing a cursory walk around with the hood up and engine running, I heard the tick. Not a real gear head, but I remembered a tick like that being associated with lifters/valve train. I searched and landed in this forum and read the TSB. I discussed this noise with the sale person, and had a brief meeting with the lead mechanice at the dealership. My concern was after discussing the TSB, the mechanic doubted that this service would actually address the tick. This was very disconcerning to me. I thought they had not done the TSB service to any covered vehicle yet , or they have done it with out any success. I am going to ask if they have actually done this service. Reading through the posting it and reading the TSB, it does just appear to be an attempt to manipulate the oil pressure. We are very leary at this point with this Edge. The dealership is offering to do the service

if why buy the vehicle, however, I would prefer they do the service and let me listen to it before I get any money tied up in this. Actually I thought it would be in the dealerships best interest to do the service before trying to sell the car. It only came in on a trade days ago. Right now I am not interested in purchasing a possible long term problem. The power train warranty will cover this up to 100,000KM which is some security, but there is a just a lingering doubt about the long term reliability of this particular engine situation. Any one have any thoughts on this? We are only a month or so into the process, and are not in any hurry to purchase and my as much as my wife liked this Edge and the dealership is offering a pretty good deal, I'm leary and think we can wait and do better.... Any thoughts , comments would be appreciated. Thanks in Advance.

Our 2013 with the 3.5 litre, was finally repaired. After 11 visits to the dealership, and many calls from their lead mechanic to the Tech Resource Centre in the U.S., it was finally diagnosed as a problem with the bottom end. At 7500kms, they replaced the short-block, and when disassembling the old one, discovered that there was a wrist pin for cylinder 3 that partially binding. This would make a ticking sound from 2 minutes after cold start up until 9 mins, like clockwork. Disappointing that it came to this, but now seems to be fine, although still only at 11,000kms, and 16 months old. Mine was different than what was described in the TSB, but still something to be aware of.

As I rarely drive this truck, I rely on my wife's feedback. When I heard her start it up in the garage the other day, and since then, I have heard a sound coming from the accessory drive at the front of the engine. Now what?

This is our first Ford ever, after about 15 different Chevy's and a handful of Nissan's. I remember hearing the slogan "at Ford, quality is job 1'. I don't think so, and don't think I am in a hurry to buy another one. Consumer Reports backs that statement.

• 1 year later...