2011 SEL/LMTD - Painted front/back lips/side rocker panels?

spocket

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
I ordered up the sport front and rear bumpers on my 2011 Limited edge and as someone posted before the side mouldings out of the 3D Carbon kit bolted right up. It's roughly $500 just for the side skirts then you have to buy the door mouldings as well. You will be look at roughly $900 just for the sides. The entire 3D Carbon kit will only cost you $750 then you can just sell the bumpers on ebay, because they will not work. The front and rear will only cost you roughly $600 plus shipping including all the hardware. For the entire kit to be installed on my edge and painted I am looking at $3000 CDN when it's all painted and installed. Maybe a little more. Depending how bad it looks with just the door mouldings painted with only the bottom 3D Carbon side skirts. But your price of $8500 for the entire kit is high.

The 'Sport' kit lists out for approx $8500 (employee cost) last I checked - and it would still require painting.

I've ordered a new 2011 Ltd. and it should arrive next week. My plan is to smooth and paint the textured lower cladding to match as I too dislike the look on a lighter colored vehicle (I ordered Platinum White).

I'll be sure and post pictures when I'm done.

I ordered up the sport front and rear bumpers on my 2011 Limited edge and as someone posted before the side mouldings out of the 3D Carbon kit bolted right up. It's roughly $500 just for the side skirts then you have to buy the door mouldings as well. You will be looking at roughly $900 just for the sides. The entire 3D Carbon kit will only cost you $750 then you can just sell the bumpers on ebay, because they will not work. The front and rear will only cost you roughly $600 plus shipping including all the hardware. For the entire kit to be installed on my edge and painted I am looking at $3000 CDN when it's all painted and installed. Maybe a little more. Depending how bad it looks with just the door moldings painted with only the bottom 3D Carbon side skirts. But your price of $8500 for the entire kit is high.

Edited by Rockballer

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

I myself am not a fan of Black Plastic. I would also like to refinish or replace the lower black plastic. It just isn't cost effective at this point for me to do so.

I have had some experience refinishing smaller items though.

On my Pontiac I painted the engine cover, the mirrors and the grill to color match the body.

The engine cover and the mirrors were textured. I used aggressive sand paper, 300 grit I think, to knock down the texture. Then I went progressively finer. until it was smooth. Finishing it off with 3000-4000 grit. I used primmer that was specific to plastic. I never had an issue, even with the heat in the engine bay.

photo1.jpg

photo.jpg

photo3-1.jpg

photo1-5.jpg

The Edge lowers are much bigger sections, and I probably would not tackle the paint myself. Anyone know how much a body shop would charge, if I removed them from the car, and prepped them myself? seems like that's where most of the time is.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...