4 wheel down towing

So just to be clear, you have towed your Edge over 11,000 and have NOT accrued any mileage on the odometer, correct?

To be clear, my wife's 2007 Ford Edge I tow behind our motorhome does NOT accrue any mileage while being towed. The key is off. The odometer is off. Everything is off. The wheels still turn because it is in neutral. The only time the odometer shows increasing numbers is when the engine running, the transmission is in gear and there is forward speed.

My wife's edge shows 35, 000 driven miles on the odometer but it has rolled about 60,000 miles because it has been towed about 25,000.

For what its worth, this is common on vehicles with electronic odometers.

My wife's

• 4 months later...

I just purchased a new 2011 Edge limited AWD with the push button start and want to tow it with all 4 wheels down. Per the manual, this is OK, just put it in neutral and place the ignition in accessory position. However, the manual also says not to turn the vehicle off without shifting to park. Otherwise you may drain your battery.

Does anybody have experience with this?

I just purchased a new 2011 Edge limited AWD with the push button start and want to tow it with all 4 wheels down. Per the manual, this is OK, just put it in neutral and place the ignition in accessory position. However, the manual also says not to turn the vehicle off without shifting to park. Otherwise you may drain your battery.

Does anybody have experience with this?

I am also interested in the 2011 Edge Limited FWD, and plan to flat tow it behind our motorhome. The manual states that all you have to do is place the key in the accessory mode and shft into neutral. Please keep us advised as to issues you experience.

Bob

I am also interested in the 2011 Edge Limited FWD, and plan to flat tow it behind our motorhome. The manual states that all you have to do is place the key in the accessory mode and shft into neutral. Please keep us advised as to issues you experience.

Bob

Bob,

Mine has no key. The owners manual addresses not turning the engine off off while in neutral, and subsequent possible drained battery, under the push button start section so I don't know if this is a problem with a keyed system. I am thinking I will need to pull a fuse or have a trickle charger that works while I am hooked up to the motor home.

I'll post what i learn. I am having the car rigged for towing tomorrow.

My Ford dealer says to add a trickle charger, something like the "Toad Charge. I'm still thinking about pulling the right fuse. I'm going to do a short tow to see if this power drain to the display causes mileage to run up. If it does, then I need to find the fuse. If not, then the Toad Charge should be fine.

My Ford dealer says to add a trickle charger, something like the "Toad Charge. I'm still thinking about pulling the right fuse. I'm going to do a short tow to see if this power drain to the display causes mileage to run up. If it does, then I need to find the fuse. If not, then the Toad Charge should be fine.

Thanks for the reply. Any info in the future will be most helpful.

My Ford dealer says they have researched my concern and are adamant that I tow doing exactly what the manual says. They are OK with adding a Toad Charge but say pulling a fuse may require a trip to the shop to reset things that can't be reset by the owner. Their only comment about disconnecting the battery is that I may have to reset the clock and resync cell phones.

So, I'll do what they say but may add the Toad Charge for peace of mind.

My Ford dealer says they have researched my concern and are adamant that I tow doing exactly what the manual says. They are OK with adding a Toad Charge but say pulling a fuse may require a trip to the shop to reset things that can't be reset by the owner. Their only comment about disconnecting the battery is that I may have to reset the clock and resync cell phones.

So, I'll do what they say but may add the Toad Charge for peace of mind.

I too will continue to research all options and keep all informed.

I too will continue to research all options and keep all informed.

Did you use a Blue Ox BX2628 Base Plate? I have had 2 base plates installed on my 2011 Edge SEL and they both have caused fender, hood, grill alignment issues. I would hold off on the purchase if I were you until Blue Ox gets their engineering straight!

Did you use a Blue Ox BX2628 Base Plate? I have had 2 base plates installed on my 2011 Edge SEL and they both have caused fender, hood, grill alignment issues. I would hold off on the purchase if I were you until Blue Ox gets their engineering straight!

I have not purchased the Edge at this time...I'll wait until these issues are resolved.

Stubby,

Sorry for the late response, I was gone for a few days.

Camping World did the installation for me about 3 weeks ago using Roadmaster equipment. I'm not sure of the Roadmaster part number but my invoice shows an SKU of 56184 at a cost of $459.99 plus install of $267. It looks really good. Roadmaster actually makes two for the Edge. One for cars with adaptive cruise control and one without.

I am still waiting on Blue Ox to finalize the design of the BX2628 Base Plate. I have not heard from them in a week. They were supposed tobe getting a new Edge from a dealer to test the fit. If the install had not already cut holes in the grill I would be getting my money back and going with the roadmaster baseplate and hitch based on sandpiper's experience. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am just beginning a search for a vehicle to tow behind our motorhome. I've always liked the looks of the Edge.

I understand that when following proper procedures, towing an Edge is approved by Ford but I am curious to know... is there any wear to the transmission on the Edge while it is being towed? Does putting the Edge in neutral essentially disconnect the transmission? I know that with some vehicles, the engine needs to be run to provide lubrication to the transmission - the assumption being that the transmission is turning while being towed? I'm a bit confused by all of this and if someone can clear it up, I would be very thankful. I'd like to get an Edge to tow, but I don't think I would want towing it to cause wear to the transmission.

Lastly... we would probably be looking for a 2008 or 2009 Edge... any recommendations on preferred model year? Better to go with AWD or FWD?

Edited by DHart

• 2 months later...

I recently purchased a 2011 Lincoln MKX with the idea of towing it behind our motorhome. The owners manual describes what must be done for RV towing but the description is obviously for a vehicle with a key. There is a description in the owners manual of how to remove a panel in the usb compartment to put the vehicle in neutral without starting it however it again does not apply to a vehicle with the push button start. If you remove the access panel described you can take a small mirror and look back toward the shift assembly under the center console. Put your foot on the brake and push the button to start the vehicle while watching in the mirror. You will see a little plastic plunger pop out that unlocks the shift lever. After you find where this is at you can pull the plastic plunger out with your finger with the car off and shift the lever into neutral without turning anything on. The steering wheel does not lock on the push button start MKX so no need to worry about that. This may apply to other Ford vehicles like the Edge.

Purchased our 2011 Ford Edge SEL-FWD on June 18, 2011. LOVE, LOVE this car. Comfort level is great. When we purchased our 2005 SportsCoach Encore, had to give up my Expedition for a 2009 Jeep Wrangler. Pulled the Jeep for two years, 1st long trip was to the Badlands, Yellowstone, thru Utah and Arizona. Due to back surgery had to give up the Jeep. We chose the Edge because it gives us some of the extra roominess we had with the Expedition. Great for grocery shopping, picking up the grands.

Just had the new baseplate installed. Blue Ox 2628 was our choice. Capital Hitch in Tallahassee, Fl did the install. They were exceptional and this was the first 2011 Edge. When Jim realized this was a "no cut" wiring with the Edge he contacted "someone in the know" and ordered additional "T" harness. Total cost for baseplate, installation and additional wiring was under $900. We are planning on having the "Air Force One" installed in the next couple of months.

Towing home, all we had to do was connect the tow-bars from the MH to the front of the Edge, shift the Edge from Park to Neutral, release the parking brake, then turn the key back as far as it would go. ( Since it takes about 5 minutes to get the vehicle behind the MH and everything connected - we counted this as the run time requirement before towing.) The key cannot be removed since it does not turn to the OFF position because the gear is in Neutral. Turn off all systems, ie air, radio and lights from auto to off. The system will automatically shut down after 15-20 seconds, so there will be no power drain on the battery. When the brakes are applied, the power comes from the MH, via the wiring harness.

Hope this helps any considering the EDGE as a toad.

• 2 months later...

We also just bought the 2011 Edge Limited FWD to flat tow. I have read forums on IRV2 and others, including here, to see if anyone knows the basis for the 65 mph speed limit while towing. I assume it has something to do with limiting heat buildup in the transmission, but being an engineer, if that is the case it would appear you could exceed 65 for short amounts of time, etc. Also, does anyone know if the recommended 6 hr run interval is just to charge the battery ( since you have to leave the ignition on accessory position, or is there another reason. Seems like no one knows the basis. By the way, we have the keyless start so we dont have but one accessory position option that I am aware of. Thanks

• 2 months later...

Dear Edge Dead Battery: Welcome to the club of 2011 Ford Edge dead battery owners. You are NOT alone.

I too have experience this problem with flat towing my new Edge and finding the battery dead about noontime. I'll pass on what I have learned from Ford and others on the Forum.

No one at Ford can explain why the battery goes dead when flat towed even when you follow the instructions in the owner's manual (page 234) to the letter. The manual is obviously in error and needs to be re-written. Running the Edge for 5 minutes at the start and periodically throughout the day does NOT keep it up! The manual also shows and mentions only 1 Accessory posiition (page 235). If there are 2 accessory positions on the ignition as some have stated then Ford needs to admit that and correct the manual. According to some, the first accessory position can only be located if you first turn the ignition on and then put the transmission in NEUTRAL. Then you turn the key counter-clockwise back until it stops. You are now in the first accessory position and according to some, in this position you will NOT experience any battery drain. If you do as the manual states and put the key in Ford accessory (Second) position you will experience as some have reported up to 12 amps of battery drain. I have tried to replicate this with a VOM and have had no luck. In the 1st. accessory position you will not be able to remove the key from the ignition. To do that, you must put your foot on the brake, move the shift lever to PARK and then you can turn the ignition to OFF and remove the key.

For over 3 months now I have asked Ford three questions: 1. Why is it necessary to have the key in accessory when flat towing? 2. What is the phantom 1st. accessory position and how does it differ from the one on page 235? 3. If battery is so important to the flat towing of the Edge, what happens to it when it is towed with a dead battery? My service advisor is working on the answers but nothing has come back from Ford. One Ford service advisor told me to disconnect the negative battery terminal. This did save the battery but it also killed the backup (Roadmaster/BrakeMaster 9100) breaking system. Without battery the red light in the MH which monitors the braking system and the Break Away system will NOT function. So, I must have battery. Another issue has to do with installing a battery charger system (Toad Charger) in the Edge. If Ford says this is THE solution to the problem are they also saying that they approve it and that installing it will not void the Edge warranty? It would be nice if Ford put this in writing to cover the owners.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you find a solution to the dead battery problem.

Bob

Dear Edge Dead Battery: Welcome to the club of 2011 Ford Edge dead battery owners. You are NOT alone.

I too have experience this problem with flat towing my new Edge and finding the battery dead about noontime. I'll pass on what I have learned from Ford and others on the Forum.

No one at Ford can explain why the battery goes dead when flat towed even when you follow the instructions in the owner's manual (page 234) to the letter. The manual is obviously in error and needs to be re-written. Running the Edge for 5 minutes at the start and periodically throughout the day does NOT keep it up! The manual also shows and mentions only 1 Accessory posiition (page 235). If there are 2 accessory positions on the ignition as some have stated then Ford needs to admit that and correct the manual. According to some, the first accessory position can only be located if you first turn the ignition on and then put the transmission in NEUTRAL. Then you turn the key counter-clockwise back until it stops. You are now in the first accessory position and according to some, in this position you will NOT experience any battery drain. If you do as the manual states and put the key in Ford accessory (Second) position you will experience as some have reported up to 12 amps of battery drain. I have tried to replicate this with a VOM and have had no luck. In the 1st. accessory position you will not be able to remove the key from the ignition. To do that, you must put your foot on the brake, move the shift lever to PARK and then you can turn the ignition to OFF and remove the key.

For over 3 months now I have asked Ford three questions: 1. Why is it necessary to have the key in accessory when flat towing? 2. What is the phantom 1st. accessory position and how does it differ from the one on page 235? 3. If battery is so important to the flat towing of the Edge, what happens to it when it is towed with a dead battery? My service advisor is working on the answers but nothing has come back from Ford. One Ford service advisor told me to disconnect the negative battery terminal. This did save the battery but it also killed the backup (Roadmaster/BrakeMaster 9100) breaking system. Without battery the red light in the MH which monitors the braking system and the Break Away system will NOT function. So, I must have battery. Another issue has to do with installing a battery charger system (Toad Charger) in the Edge. If Ford says this is THE solution to the problem are they also saying that they approve it and that installing it will not void the Edge warranty? It would be nice if Ford put this in writing to cover the owners.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you find a solution to the dead battery problem.

• 4 months later...

I know the owners manual says that this vehicle is capable of being towed four wheels down, but i was wondering if anyone had tried it yet behind an RV or such?

We bought the car not thinking we'd need this feature, but have more recently started thinking about going the RV route in the future. Just so happens the Edge AWD can do that (not sure about the FWD, but cant see why not). I havent read the owners manual in a while, so dont recall if it suggests taking any steps or how you carry this out.

So has anyone done it or have any tips on doing it?

I have been towing my 2010 sel for going on 3 years now with no problem except for not turning off some accesories that killed the battery after towing all day. So make sure all electrical drawing items are shut off.!!!!