So this is the new, improved Sync Gen2 V2?

Ctrl-z

Just completed a 700km trip after having the dealership update the Sync system on my MKX to the current version. I got to experience a whole new assortment of issues that help make this vehicle highly entertaining as far as never knowing what's next on the list. Essentially what I have now is Climate and Navigation faults joining the traditional Phone and Entertainment ones.

Zooming in/out on my Navigation screen frequently causes the Entertainment screen to appear instead. Nothing new there, these "click-throughs" have existed since day one. However this time, the whole Navigation screen refuses to reappear. The right hand mini-LCD displays "Navigation fault - see Touchscreen". The Touchscreen displays "Navigation not available". How useful. Remove/insert SD card, nope. Stop/restart engine, yup it's back working. 1/2 hour later, the exact same issue.

Next I notice that it's getting awfully warm. -15C outside and my temperature is set to 15.5C inside. That is as cool as it can get without going to air-conditioning.Place my hand on the heat vents and it is indeed blowing an impressive amount of very warm air. One more press of the climate control to LO and it's blowing cold air, way too cold. Several more presses up to get a comfortable temperature at about 19C and a few minutes later it's way too hot, reduce temperature to the minimum 15.5C and, yup, it's still pushing a lot of heat at that setting. AUTO setting does seem to still work but I never had any problem with the temperature control prior to the Sync update.

Plugged my phone into the USB port to charge it, and a new "USB Hard..." option appears. Selecting it actually plays the music on my phone (this is indeed an improvement over the pre-update where the system usually crashed, err, "scheduled it's maintenance". For some reason I decide to use Voice control to ask "what's playing". The usual monotone "this command is only available with USB devices" results. Well, OK, just because my phone is plugged into USB doesn't make it a USB device I guess. But then the fun starts: a loud navigation tone sounds telling me to turn left in 300 meters onto a particular street. Interesting as I am driving on a highway at high speed and it's telling me to turn immediately onto a street that is 200 kms away. And it's doing this while there is NO navigation route enabled and I am not even viewing navigation. How's that for bug-induced driver distraction?

Not Sync related (presumably) but I received another false "sensor blocked" message that disables collision avoidance and adaptive cruise. Those come more rarely now that my dealer did some kind of software flash related to a TSB on that issue. But it happened for the 3rd time within about one/half a kilometer of the exact same piece of highway driving in the same direction (I've also driven this highway about a dozen times without it happening). What are the odds of that happening 3X in one place while driving 2500 kms without it happening anywhere else? I suspect there is some type of interference from certain locations that cause this problem. (I'm sure not telling me dealer about this issue because last time they took it out on 50 km test tip to reproduce it. Grr!)

I feel for you, I've had my 2011 MKX since November 2010. It's been back to the dealer 4 times, first time a week after taking delivery to load the "latest" Sync software at my selling dealer, which didn't fix anything at all. The next time, first week of December to a different dealer (who by the way has been great) to re-load the software because the selling dealer "didn't download the software from Ford H.O. properly", worked properly for about 3 to 4 hours then the system didn't understand my voice commands. Went on a long trip with the car and I was away for a month, good thing I brought my Garmin along. Back to the second dealer in January on my return, car at dealer for 3 days for a complete new download of "new updated" software and to replace a module. Worked great for about 2 weeks, then back to the dealer again. The dealer's tech person spent about an hour in the car with me and we both gave the system voice commands which worked some of the time, however there really was no improvement in the performance of the system. I just heard from the dealer that Ford will release a fix in about 3 to 4 weeks that will correct the problem (I doubt it but I'll keep my fingers crossed). I.M.P.O. Ford should have installed the first generation system and not "upgraded" to the second generation system before thoroughly testing it and then releasing it to the public. This is typical, let the consumer be the guinea pigs. This whole experience has taught me NOT to buy another Ford product, I can't want for my lease to end and so that I can return the car to Ford.

I'm in the same boat guys - just know there will be a lot more of us now the new Explorer is out. God help Ford when they release the 2012 Focus which is supposed to also include MFT. They will be in big trouble once there are even more people with it - its a complete disaster. I'd love the boys from Top Gear in the UK to try it out, they would humiliate Ford after having it for a week.

No way should we each spend 40k or more and have these issues - frankly its a joke but its being played on us.

Its strange though I have a 2011 MKX and I did the upgrade and the system is way better.

I agree its slow to touch and slightly buggy but for the most part its been working for me

since I got the car. The upgrade greatly improved things for sure.

The main thing I seem to have taken notice of is that if you jump in the car, start it up

and immediately put it in gear and take off, you are likely to see something go wrong.

I tend to wait a few seconds for the system to boot up and I rarely have anything go wrong.

for what its worth!

I took my 3 month old 2011 Edge in today. I've been putting up with rear camera, sync performing maintenance, Nav block outs and main screen blackout issues.

I said I would leave it for the day and by the time I got home, there was a message saying the car is ready, we drove it around the lot and couldn't duplicate anything, so it's fixed. They said TSB 10-24-9 was not for my vehicle even though there were many similar problems. I left it with them as they said they would not do anything if it is not broken when brought in and only the service manager would talk with me tomorrow. They also say that they have had no problems with the my touch!!!!

ARRRRGGGHHHHH! I have version 2.3 and they say(and my sync site) that there is no update.

What number can I call to get these dorks straightened out?

• 2 weeks later...

The main thing I seem to have taken notice of is that if you jump in the car, start it up

and immediately put it in gear and take off, you are likely to see something go wrong.

I tend to wait a few seconds for the system to boot up and I rarely have anything go wrong.

for what its worth!

HAHAHA thats so funny - I found the same but never said anything.... I wondered if it was just coincidence but I'm glad there is someone else that thinks the same. Especially things go wrong if you try and play with USB after doing the above. Can't say I have the "rarely" part but I have had less problems by doing the above.

Edited by l33

HAHAHA thats so funny - I found the same but never said anything.... I wondered if it was just coincidence but I'm glad there is someone else that thinks the same. Especially things go wrong if you try and play with USB after doing the above. Can't say I have the "rarely" part but I have had less problems by doing the above.

I too baby mine. I cringe when I throw my '11 Edge Sport into reverse bringing up the camera without letting the home screen fully load. Doing so seems to be a recipe for trouble.

I've also learned not to ask the nav to find a location based on the name. It didn't want to understand "Kinko's", and after asking it 3 or 4 times (each time changing the tone or infliction in my voice) the Nav got as frustrated as I did, and crashed the system. Hello Sync maintenance re-boot screen!

Just had the sync upgrade yesterday. At least some of the sync problems seem to be fixed. I did notice that the vehicle seemed more sluggish when driving. It was almost like it's upshifting sooner. Has this anything to do with the sync recall? I also had the electrical fire recall done. Could that be the issue? Any help appreciated