22' wheels

zebs sport

Has anyone had any problems with thw 22' wheels not holding pressure. wife's edge has been back to the dealership every month for the past four months. Dealer states that ford knows they have a problem but won't do anything about it. Tire does not seal around bead, We are taking ours back tomorrow for tire pressure again lasted only two days this time. I am wondering if anyone else is having the same problem.

I haven't had an issue either. Any loss of pressure I had would be considered normal. Is it all 4 wheels that have this problem or just one or two?

The right front tire/wheel is the only one having issues right now. My Edge made it's 5th trip to the Ford dealership today for this same issue. Wonder how long it will be before I see the "low tire pressure" light again?

darn it, I checked my tires again and the same rear tire was low. Now I'm more concerned. I checked every square inch of that tire with no nails showing. Sprayed soapy water everywhere with no results... so now I'm puzzled, where's the leak?

You may be having this same wheel issue!

• 4 weeks later...

Funny i just now find this post...

Ā 

Here in Minnesota during the winter i would have to fill mine on a regular basis (about once every week or every other). It always seemed to be the fronts. Finally now that its nicer weather here i have only about once a month.

Ā 

Back in jan, my wife decided to hit the edge of a snowbank and it broke the bead, i brought it to a NTB tire shop they used some sort of sealant and its worked great (besides for the little residue they left on the rim that i had to get off). That is the only tire i have not had to fill in 3 months.

Ā 

I have a friend who works a the stealership where i bought my sport and he came up to me one day and asked out of the blue if my tires leak. i said yes. he told me its not just a 22" thing its all of fords larger stock rims.

Ā 

Im just trying to get another 10k miles out of my tires, then off to a new set (maybe i will hit an enourmous pot hole and make a claim...)

• 4 months later...

i am having the same issue right front tireand left rear tire. the bigger issue is i scratched my rims, really want to get them fixed.........any ideas

Ā 

Hi Bigwheel.

Ā 

I have a 2010 Ford Edge Sport with (now) 65,000 miles. I was constantly having tire pressure problems on my 22" wheels. Especially during the winter. There was even one time where I filled one up and it was almost flat in 48 hours. I took it to the ford dealer and complained, and like "ZEBS SPORT" stated, Ford acknowledged that they have a problem with those wheels and again like "ZEBS SPORT" stated, Ford will do nothing about the problem. My solution (which was right for me, but guessing by your forum name, would not be right for you) was to dump those stupid 22" wheels and get some of the 18" chrome clad Edge wheels. My mileage increase almost 2 MPG and I have not had to put air in ONE tire in over 6 months...nice!

Also, the ride is smoother, quiter and just better. (For me)

Ā 

I've scratched my 22's as well. He is what I did that worked....mmm OK...well...pretty good I'd say actually. Assuming you have aluminum all silver wheels like I do, and not black painted or some other color painted wheels:

Get a dremel moto tool with the 'polishing' attachements kit. Find some McGuires or comparable aluminum polish and start with the Dremel moto tool 'pre-treated polishing wheel" (#427 I think) and that will gently grind down the heavy scratches and gouges from the curb strike. Follow that up with the polishing wheel or the polishing tapered tip using the Mcquires polish. They will look pretty good. If you take the time and be very diligent, the only difference you might notice is that the area where you ground down and polished will have a little different shine or finish to it versus the un-polished area. Drive through a water puddle or two and it will all look the same!

I think Ford may have put some type of protective coating or something on the wheel and after you grind down and polish, you get below that coating? I don't know?? But that can work. Assuming that you have all aluminum wheels, and not painted.

Ā 

Hope this helps.

Edited by Duckman

• 3 weeks later...

Just a follow up:

I went tot the dealer with a right pull problem on my Sport (2011) and then had this addresses at the same time. It had gotten to the point where each of the four tires was always a different pressure. Ford said that they're having problems with the 22" wheel assemblies from the factory having dirt or an otherwise contaminated seal from the factory. My tires were dismounted, the rims wiped clean, the tire beads wiped clean and then remounted and rebalanced. All seems good now.

• 3 weeks later...

Edgieguy, has the fix remained longer term now? I filled up and a week later it's low pressure again and I've gone over the whole tire and see no punctures or foreign objects :(

Ā 

I've been lucky. So far so good with tire pressures. Of course I'm constantly monitoring them with the dropping ambient temperatures of the fall. Of course the cooler air is also leading to better mpgs so its all give and take.

Has anyone had any problems with thw 22' wheels not holding pressure. wife's edge has been back to the dealership every month for the past four months. Dealer states that ford knows they have a problem but won't do anything about it. Tire does not seal around bead, We are taking ours back tomorrow for tire pressure again lasted only two days this time. I am wondering if anyone else is having the same problem.

Ā 

Ā 

I used to have that problem - 22" wheels Pirelli Tires (The worst ever made!) - Dealer put Nitrogen in my tires - lasted for a while - but bam - Low Pressure Light came on again. The Pirelli's they put on the Sports SUCK! The are rated 1 star out of 5 and the vibration is horrible!!!! I did some extensive research and was gonna get new rims (18" and thicker tires to match) - but then I did just tire research. Yokohama Aztec tires - look at them on their website - they are rated 4 1/2 stars and they are for everything! Got them put on at 26K - Pirelli can have their tires back - and WOW what a difference that made. I have yet to put on the Traction control even when it rains. And I was always having to use it cus I felt like I was floating all the time. Now I actually feel like my tires are hugging the road - and guess what - the tires are the same exact price!

Ā 

Pirelli tires are used for racing and only racing - this is why the won the bid when Ford called for tires for their Sport models. Take my advice to heart - I drive my Sport everyday and put my family in it everyday - It had gotten to the point that I wanted to get rid of it - but now I don't - now I feel safe. Ford should recall all of those tires on the Sport model and put Yokohama Aztec's on all of them!

Ā 

Hope this helps

The right front tire/wheel is the only one having issues right now. My Edge made it's 5th trip to the Ford dealership today for this same issue. Wonder how long it will be before I see the "low tire pressure" light again?

Ā 

Ā 

Please see my post - go with Yokohama Aztec - you will no longer have this problem - it is the Pirelli Tires.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I used to have that problem - 22" wheels Pirelli Tires (The worst ever made!) - Dealer put Nitrogen in my tires - lasted for a while - but bam - Low Pressure Light came on again. The Pirelli's they put on the Sports SUCK! The are rated 1 star out of 5 and the vibration is horrible!!!! I did some extensive research and was gonna get new rims (18" and thicker tires to match) - but then I did just tire research. Yokohama Aztec tires - look at them on their website - they are rated 4 1/2 stars and they are for everything! Got them put on at 26K - Pirelli can have their tires back - and WOW what a difference that made. I have yet to put on the Traction control even when it rains. And I was always having to use it cus I felt like I was floating all the time. Now I actually feel like my tires are hugging the road - and guess what - the tires are the same exact price!

Ā 

Pirelli tires are used for racing and only racing - this is why the won the bid when Ford called for tires for their Sport models. Take my advice to heart - I drive my Sport everyday and put my family in it everyday - It had gotten to the point that I wanted to get rid of it - but now I don't - now I feel safe. Ford should recall all of those tires on the Sport model and put Yokohama Aztec's on all of them!

Ā 

Hope this helps

Ā 

Wow, you have no idea what your talking about. Pirelli's are not bad tires nor do they "suck".

Ā 

Ford CANADA has a tsb out on these wheels if they leak, I have had all 4 of my wheels replaced due to corrosion of the finish. I would imagine US Ford would have the same bulletin out.

• 1 month later...

Wow, you have no idea what your talking about. Pirelli's are not bad tires nor do they "suck".

Ā 

Ford CANADA has a tsb out on these wheels if they leak, I have had all 4 of my wheels replaced due to corrosion of the finish. I would imagine US Ford would have the same bulletin out.

Ā 

I have to concur here, it's the rim, and the seal between tire and wheel. I've had this a zillion times on several show cars, low profile tires against a bad wheel, is a problem. Pirelli been around too long to think it's the tire, could be, but if Canada says rim, then why would it not be the rim?

Can anyone check on this TSB stateside? We had ours remounted but I noticed some defect at the edge of the rim. The dealer of course said it was curb rash (which is almost impossible with the way the tire sticks out over the rim lip unless you really bash a curb). I thought it looked like corrosion but now I really wonder.

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone check on this TSB stateside? We had ours remounted but I noticed some defect at the edge of the rim. The dealer of course said it was curb rash (which is almost impossible with the way the tire sticks out over the rim lip unless you really bash a curb). I thought it looked like corrosion but now I really wonder.

Ā 

Ā 

Rashing the wheel is very easy. I pulled into KFC and touched the curb putting a little rash on the wheel, I joked that it was a 2000 dollar bucket of chicken. Fortunately my wheels were replaced under the service bulletin.

Ā 

With the tire removed you'll easily see the corrosion on the wheel, I suppose it's the only reason why I would want to use nitrogen in my wheels. It might prevent such corrosion, hopefully Ford has rectified the problem. I know it won't happen to me again, I've traded in the Edge in for a 2012 Ford Taurus Sho.

Edited by bender

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Bender, I am having the same problem with my 2010 sports . My dealer refuse to replace the tires. To My surprise Ford also refuse to help me out. I have been pumping these tire every three days for the past year. I got scared on the 401 when my front tire went flat. No leaks were found on the tires and when I mention the TBS to the ford manager that handles my dealer, her reply was that she does not want to hear anything about it. When I asked here what should I do. her reply was that it is up to me if I want to take it to someone who can fix it. HELP anyone............The vehicle is still under ford warranty .

Edited by Jagie

Hi Bender, I am having the same problem with my 2010 sports . My dealer refuse to replace the tires. To My surprise Ford also refuse to help me out. I have been pumping these tire every three days for the past year. I got scared on the 401 when my front tire went flat. No leaks were found on the tires and when I mention the TBS to the ford manager that handles my dealer, her reply was that she does not want to hear anything about it. When I asked here what should I do. her reply was that it is up to me if I want to take it to someone who can fix it. HELP anyone............The vehicle is still under ford warranty .

Ā 

You should get ahold of Ford Customer Service and tell them of your dealerships resistance to assist you. The leak will be between the rim and bead of the tire. Remove the tire and put soapy water on the wheel where the tire meets the rim, it will bubble. Do each side. When I have trouble with a service manager I take the problem to thier boss and give them a chance to correct the problem. It usually works.