22' wheels

zebs sport

Thank you Bender and Ford Guru, here is when I stand. One of the tires were replaced. Not because the the dealership was nice to me, but because I bought extra warranty to cover any road hazard. So when this was presented to them the replaced the tire. That was last Wednesday 22nd. So my son drove it home that night, after spending almost all day with these guys. That nigh after coming from work , I discovered that the tread pattern on the replaced 22 is not the same as my original. What is wrong with this dealership in Brampton. Mean while the tires still continues to leak . My son took it back on Wednesday and Final on Thursday the took the wheels out and real seal the tire. What a wonderful job the did on my nice aluminum rims. It looks like the used crowbars to take my tires out. There are gouge marks and scrapes and dings on my rims. It looks like the drag it on the concrete floor. This morning I had to pump it up again. As for ford , the rep I spoke to last week is backing up the dealer and refuse to look or even talk about he TBS for leaking tire. I am not Finished with this dealership (CO#0Ny Ford). This is just pure rip off. My next approach is to seek legal advice with a lawyer.

Edited by Jagie

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I recently discovered a clicking noise coming from my driver's side front tire during slow turns. I took it to the dealership on Saturday to have them look at it. They pulled the wheel off my Edge and proceeded to tell me that the wheel hub, caliper, and rotor are corroding preventing the tire from mounting flush and that they will not replace the wheel. Instead, I was told to have the corrosion cleaned off the wheels every time they rotate the tires. Sounds like a band-aid if I've ever heard of one. They didn't bother to check the other three, so I have no idea if it's going on with them as well. I have had this air leaking problem from this tire as well on three separate occasions where it's got 10 lbs. less air in it vs. the other 3 wheels when checked, so I asked him if it could be related. He told me that it wasn't. It sure sounds like it would be. Has anyone had any other corrosion problems with their 22s? Is there a TSB out for this separate issue? We didn't even have a winter this year, so I'm worried about what will happen when they DO put salt and other corrosives on the street to treat for ice. If I had known this was going to happen, I wouldn't have bought a $42,000 vehicle with $1100 wheels! Love my car but don't love this problem!

Edited by virvin

• 2 months later...

I recently had a problem with my wheel/tire. I really only knew about it because I found that my tire had a nail in it and PSI had been low off and on for weeks. I took it to a tire shop for a simple patch and three weeks later I was still losing tire pressure, about 5-10 PSI overnight. When I took it back to the tire place (thinking perhaps the patch was not holding), they noticed that there was corrosion at the bead seat area, but they did not tell me before deciding to take a wire brush to the wheel and seal it. I then proceeded to take it to Ford, since my car is barely a year old, who informed me that the tire place had voided the warranty on the wheel. The man at the tire place did not believe me when I told them that they were factory wheels and just told me "well I don't want to argue with you honey, but those are not factory wheels." Just because I'm a girl does not mean that I cannot understand or do not care what work you are doing to my car, nor does it mean that I do not know what comes factory on my car that I did months of research on before deciding to purchase. Anyways, I don't know if they really did void the warranty but I was able to get the tire place to replace my wheel with a new one, free of charge, as they did unauthroized work. In a previous post someone attached the TSB for this problem. Based on what I saw there, Ford is to determine whether there is corrosion at the bead seat area and then are supposed to supply you with a new wheel. Let me know what happens if you take it back with the TSB, as I am pretty sure my other wheels will one day have the same problem. I would suggest bringing the car in once the tire pressure light has been triggered (as long as the PSI isn't dangerously low, obviously), as that is the first step to the TSB. Hopefully Ford will honor this TSB and not try to do a quick fix again for you. Good luck and I hope to hear that it worked out.

• 5 weeks later...

1. Glad I found this....have had tire pressure problems for a while in my 2010. After moving from Hawaii to the DC area, it has been worse. Took it to Firestone repeatedly, and I thought I was good when they mentioned cleaning corrosion off my wheel. Corrosion made sense to me coming from Hawaii, the salt air can cause havoc on metal. Last week the light came on again and thye finally recommended a trip to the dealer. Light came on again this morning and I found the TSB on this sight. I'll let you how things turn out after a trip to Ford when I'm done at work.

* site.

Ā 

Back from the dealer. They said the TSB wasn't for my specific wheels, which seemed odd. However they mentioned someone with a similar problem on an Edge. Service center guy claims it was the bead. Remounted both tires, paying more attention to the bead, so we'll see how they hold. At least they washed and vacuumed my Edge!

wow ... reading this thread was killing me. I'm like Arnold Horshack in the back of the class "OH OH OH OH .. pick me, pick me" ... back when I worked as a grease monkey, aluminum rim leaking was a common occurrence. To fix this we'd dismount the tire from the rim. Used a rubber cleaner which basically amounted to acetone and cleaned the tire bead area off. Vigorously wiping it off. Some times this would take a fair amount of elbow grease to get it "virgin". Then we'd use a fine wire wheel on a air die grinder and clean the bead seat on the rim. Then clean with the solvent again when done. The key here is to get the two surfaces as clean and free of debris as possible. (so far not telling any one anything they didn't already know) But now for the secrete sauce. And I'm sorry I don't have the product name but it was black, shinny, liquid, rubber, adhesive and the applicator looked like a large cotton ball on the end of a wire stick attached to the button of the lid. We'd mount the tire but not seat it yet. Apply a liberal amount of this black liquid to the rim's bead seat area and then to the tires bead itself. Let it set up about 5 minutes and then seat the tire. Never had one come back prior to the next tire replacement.

Ā 

The problem is that aluminum if its not coated (protected) properly this will oxidize. (aluminum's version of rust). Once this happens the aluminum gets porous at the point of oxidation and you're fighting a uphill battle. I've also head other techs treat it like it a aluminum surface to be painted which mean a acid etching primer and then a good heavy coat of paint on the rim's seat area. Any one see a problem with this . that is right.. cost. Go out and get a set of rims with a good track record coatings and no tire seating issues.

Ā 

.. and that is all I'm going to say about it .... (in my best Forest Gump voice)

My 2011 Sport 22's have continued to leak all summer. Almost weekly Ive been in my driveway checking and adding air. One neighbor told my wife how great it is that "I'm on top of things like that" I'm now very embarrassed that the neighbors have noticed me in the driveway all the time. I'm sure they've also noticed all the Ford "Rental Car" as my dealer calls their loaners, in my driveway every other week. I love the look and ride of my Sport, its just so discouraging to have this happen over and over and over....

• 1 year later...

I pulled one of my wheels off, pressurized and soaped, and what I found was that the interior rim edge had four or five areas with 2" to 3" segments of an even leak between the tire seal edge and the rim. I suspect the rubber is less pliable in the cold of the winter verses less in the Summer.