ignition coil malfunction

hill392

Has anybody with the COP error codes experienced the problem to be bad wiring? I replaced the suspect COP and all plugs but the same cylinder is misfiring. Also the AC has quit working. I thought it may be the PCM but a mechanic told me it could be a bad wire or ground. Just looking for confirmation and others experiencing the same. Thanks,

• 5 months later...

Bring this back up from the dead, My wife's 07 edge with 71000 miles is having the same issues, I went ahead and replaced the spark plugs and 2 cops but I am now having a bad cop code. It is currently at the local ford garage and I imagine I am going to have to eat this bill, the build date for the car is 9-13-07 so I should be under emissions warranty but everyone I have talked to at the dealer didn't seem to think it will cover it.

That's a pretty late build! You might qualify for a PCM/ignition coil replacement under the emissions warranty, I'd definitely push for it. PM Tricia/Meagan (FordService on this site) to see what they can do for you. Going to another dealership may be another option, as they may be more responsive to your needs, but work with FordService first.

Ā 

You do need 5 posts on this forum to PM, so you can use the Test Forum to generate the addn'l posts.

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/11866-test/page-5

Bring this back up from the dead, My wife's 07 edge with 71000 miles is having the same issues, I went ahead and replaced the spark plugs and 2 cops but I am now having a bad cop code. It is currently at the local ford garage and I imagine I am going to have to eat this bill, the build date for the car is 9-13-07 so I should be under emissions warranty but everyone I have talked to at the dealer didn't seem to think it will cover it.

That's a pretty late build! You might qualify for a PCM/ignition coil replacement under the emissions warranty, I'd definitely push for it. PM Tricia/Meagan (FordService on this site) to see what they can do for you. Going to another dealership may be another option, as they may be more responsive to your needs, but work with FordService first...

Welcome to the community, chrissnow! :)

Ā 

As WWWPerfA_ZN0W stated, my name is Tricia, and Iā€™m the U.S. Ford Customer Service Representative. Thanks for reaching out to me, and I replied to your PM.

Ā 

Youā€™re on the right track by contacting your Ford Dealer and having it diagnosed. Since your vehicle is out of the new-vehicle limited warranty, be sure to speak with your service manager, as he is in the best position to ensure a proper diagnosis, and will be able to provide available options and/or coverage for any work needed.

Ā 

You can check in the Warranty Guide, on page 19. It's available online here, and it will list what is covered under the ā€œEmission Warranties for Cars." The service manager at the dealer can also confirm coverage as well.

Ā 

Tricia

• Like 1

Good news just got the call a couple hours ago, Ford is covering everything. Thanks everbody for your help and insight.

Great to hear! Thank you Ford & FordService!!!

Hey chrissnow,

Ā 

Iā€™m glad to learn of the great news, just like WWWPerfA_ZN0W.

Ā 

Thanks for coming back and sharing with us, and enjoy the rest of your week! :)

Ā 

Tricia

Edited by FordService

• 2 weeks later...

Ok thanks, I haven't called the dealer yet, I am kind of worried of the situation, there is no proof that it was or wasn't on before. I was going to switch the 2 o2 sensors from bank 1 and 2 to see if maybe the code would follow the sensor, but from your article it sounds like the o2 sensor is fine. I may call them tomorrow and see what they have to say, I mean this thing was running fine until the PCM issue. I imagine there scan tool should be able to check for injector flaws. The plugs, PCM and timing should be ok. that just leaves the converter or an intake leak (which would fall back on them). I'll keep the forum posted. thanks again