LED back up light comparo + general LED discussion

Hey folks,

In the name of saving time and effort for those interested in LED conversions, I have bought a few examples of REVERSE BULBS #921 to try out and give you my opinions. I tried few different options from 2 vendors: v-leds.com (not affiliated) AND reported spam link (they were nice enough to include a return label for the ones I didn't want)

The "bulbs":

1) Retro-Solutions 5W Cree - http://www.retrosolu...-REVERSE/Detail - $39.99 for the PAIR

Retrosolutions%205W%20packaging.jpgretrosolution%205W%20-%20connector.jpg

2) Retro-Solutions - multi directional - http://www.retrosolu...-T13-LED/Detail - $10.99 for the PAIR

Retrosolutions%20weak%20-%20packaging.jpgretrosolutions%20weak%20-%20side%20fire.jpg

3) V-leds - 6K WHITE 4 M-SMT 2W HIGH POWER BULBS - http://www.v-leds.co...187987-1-2.html - $19.99 for the PAIR

vled%20packaging.jpgvled%20-%20connector.jpg

Findings:

In trying to find a good affordable solution to matching LEDs, I bought a few options, but honestly wish I had more choices. After doing the work, I feel as I am not 100% satisfied of ANY of these emitters and will likely be updating this thread with more pictures as I continue the search for what pleases me. I only ordered one set from v-leds because they were out of stock for the 6,000 Kelvin in the other multi-directional style .

First, lets start with WEBSITES:

V-LEDS.com is obviously the higher volume website and it shows in their presentation. They have color temperatures clearly posted along with output ratings on a 5-star scale as well as numerous reviews on each item. What's also good about this site is their color consistency; they understand that there's a HUGE difference in so-called "white" colors. They also offer each bulb in various colors and variations. They offer warm whites (3500 K), white whites (5000K), and cool whites (6000K) in addition to amber, red, and a few other colors. They've been doing this for a while and it shows. If you want consistency, go here. Be warned they are not the cheapest supplier available, but you get the quality you expect.

Retro-Solutions.com being a smaller volume site has some advantages to our forum especially in the Customer Service arena. We benefit from having a real person that is on the website and listening. For the average person looking to replace a couple LEDs, this site can provide a good resource. Unfortunately, I would not be able to recommend them to a person that is into detail or "picky" about things matching across your entire vehicle.

PACKAGING:

The packaging for both orders were adequate for shipping, but retro-solutions actually put theirs in a box. +1 to them. Not sure if this is standard for them or if my special request received a special box. I received both packages on the same day from USPS even though V-LEDs is quite closer to me than Retro-Solutions distance-wise (WA to CA versus CT to CA) (another +1?). V-LEDs has their own Electrostatic Discharge bags which is great as most of their products are bare boards without extra plastic bodies. You can tell by the soldering on the boards that they are very robust.

Onto the bulbs:

Set #1 from retro-solutions is a 5W emitter that has some optics on the front to control light spread. Unfortunately, I feel that the optics focus the light too much and that none of it comes off the reflectors. It is hard to tell in the photos as my cellphone can't show the detail due to the focused intensity. But you will be able to notice this in the Back Up Camera photo (V-LEDs #3 on the DS and Retro-Solutions #1 on the PS):

Rear%20View%20-%20vled%20and%20retro.jpgBU%20Cam%20view%20-%20retro%20and%20vled.jpg

As you can see in the BU cam photo, the retro-solutions #1 doesn't illuminate the ground until 3+ feet away from the car and puts out a fairly straight and narrow beam while the V-LEDs #3 acts more like the stock incandescent as seen here:

BU%20Cam%20View%20-%20%20vled%20and%20stock.jpg

I didn't even include a shot of the retro-solutions #2 emitter as I was running short on time (wife and kid hollering) and it was clearly not as strong as stock. They made a nice glitter in the housing, but it was just not bright enough for back up duty.

In the end, the V-LEDs #3 (IMO) outperforms the 2 options from retro-solutions at a much better price. I would say that the $19.99 pair is actually good enough to use, and actually an improvement to the stock incandescent, but not "ideal" in my mind. I will send ALL the emitters back to their respective vendors. After some more driving at night, I am actually quite happy with these V-LEDs #3 units. Reason being, I cannot see the point in spending an extra $30 on these lights. That would be more than double the price of these lights and the difference might not be worth it. Looks like I'll be making up my mind in the next week or so.

What is on my car now for the time being:

Rear%20View%20-%20Vled%20only.jpg

(I know the license plate bulbs don't match, I'm working with the eBay vendor to send me a new set. I bought 2 pairs and none of them really match each other in color temp. DON'T buy from eBay unless you are ready to do some waiting and emailing and swearing etc)

I also plan on ordering 2 options from V-LEDs :

http://www.v-leds.co...478377-1-2.html for $19.99 - reasonable

http://www.v-leds.co...526829-1-2.html for $49.99 - OMG! really? 50 bucks? censored.gif

Edited by cal3thousand

By the way.. here is the new vleds discount code : OMT15... expires this week however

Latest deals on any sites that WE know:

v-leds: For Halloween Only!!!

20% OFF with coupon code SPOOKY20

Posted by SELAWD2011:

By the way.. here is the new vleds discount code : OMT15... expires this week however (posting 7.26.2011)

V-LEDs.com - 15% OFF - until 6/10/2011

Code: VLEDS15

Retro-Solutions.com - % unknown - valid until?

Code: EDGE

Edited by cal3thousand

I decided toss in another set of LEDs that I had purchased from V-LEDs.com into my license plate sockets. The other ones that I had in there didn't match and it was driving me nuts being the only LEDs that I actually get to see often. (so far)

First LED set from a random eBay merchant (probably a drop shipper) can be seen in the first post. Here is a quick pic that I snapped after installing these bad boys in (NOTE: I also took 5 minutes to flip the left license bulb housing around; I cut a matching relief on the left side with a pair of tin snips; the light is much more evenly spread now):

V-LEDs - 194 5K 6LED Flank - http://www.v-leds.co...764848-1-2.html - $8.99 a PAIR

vled%205k%20flank%20194.jpg

Here is the output:

IMG_20110605_221603.jpg

For side-by-side comparison of the eBay light:

IMG_20110602_211410.jpg

Here are the eBay LEDs for construction reference:

Cheap%20eBay%20License%20plate%20194.jpg

Here's a new shot of the ground and wall spill:

IMG_20110605_221618.jpg

OVERALL IMPRESSION:

These lights are really nice; not too bright and not too expensive. After looking at my overall color temperature scheme, I am going to move these lights to the interior and order 6K Kelvin lights for all external lights, leaving the 5K Kelvin lights for interior. I will take some pics of these particular bulbs in the front maps light sections and share soon.

Keep checking back!

Edited by cal3thousand

Currently there are no replacement LED bulbs for automobiles that are suitable for road use; none. On the marine side of the story there are a number of quality venders offering name brand replacement bulbs that work as suitable replacements for filiment bulbs. On a sail boat the proper selection of the LED bulb results in equal light output at the needed angles, appropriate color temperature, great resistance to water. Since they draw far less current they are a boon when on battery power, and don't burn out like a filiment bulbs when a wave sweaps over the boat they have attracted a strong market.

The current LED replacements for cars are not capable of meeting minimum lighting standards, are often of the wrong color temperature, and lack basic circuit protection offered in some of the better marine products. Good marine LED's are expensive and come from reliable venders with specs that show that they meet Coast Guard standards for marine lighting.

All the technical information you would like to know about 12 volt LED lighting technology is posted on http://www.bebi-electronics.com/regulator.html. A web site and LED light builder located on the Figi Islands by former NASA scientists that are into Blue Water Sailing. The site is a good read.

I'm interested in this thread. Seems like retrosolutions would be the last choice @ $50.00 a pair !!!

Thanks Hanks!

I updated the thread with some license plate bulbs that I had. I will also update this thread later this week with some LED strip lights that I have. I'm still debating on where to put them... maybe I'll snap a couple options while I play around this next weekend.

For next week: 6,000 K Puddle lights, 6,000 K license plate lights, & moving the 5,000 K flank lights from the license plate to the interior maps spots.

Current deals on any sites that I know:

V-LEDs.com - 15% OFF - until 6/10/2011

Code: VLEDS15

Retro-Solutions.com - % unknown - valid until?

Code: EDGE

Retro's EDGE code is good for 10% off. I belive only good for 1 order. You can always call Todd before an order and get a new code.

• 1 month later...

I just ordered the V-LEDS - wondering if these cause a resistor sensor error code?

I can verify that no code is thrown.

Also, to follow up on my review, I have been very happy with the v-leds lights. At first, I thought I wanted more light back there, but have noticed that they light is actually brighter than stock without being blinding.

The car looks very good from a distance when backing up.

I can verify that no code is thrown.

Also, to follow up on my review, I have been very happy with the v-leds lights. At first, I thought I wanted more light back there, but have noticed that they light is actually brighter than stock without being blinding.

The car looks very good from a distance when backing up.

Thanks cal3thousand. I ordered the plate lights... you mentioned having to switch the bed around and snip a portion tin off... any chance you can take a picture of that. i'd light to reproduce it and want to make sure Im snipping off the right part.

Thanks cal3thousand. I ordered the plate lights... you mentioned having to switch the bed around and snip a portion tin off... any chance you can take a picture of that. i'd light to reproduce it and want to make sure Im snipping off the right part.

By the way.. here is the ned vleds discount code : OMT15... expires this week however

Lemme check my photos to see if I have a shot ready....

If not I will post back today or tomorrow with instructions for all interested parties.

By the way.. here is the new vleds discount code : OMT15... expires this week however

Thanks for posting it... I will update my coupon post with this as well.

To Others: Seems like new ones (coupons) are out all the time so don't pay full price! If we don't have a good code on this thread, check http://www.retailmenot.com

Lemme check my photos to see if I have a shot ready....

If not I will post back today or tomorrow with instructions for all interested parties.

Here's photos of the cut you needed to make the license plate lights shine evenly. I cut the left (Drivers) side light hole with these cutters below. The plastic is relatively soft and easy to cut and in a pinch you could probably get the job done with a steak knife (obviously not recommended).

I did this hack job (you can see the roughness) in 5 minutes at night without any measuring. Just cut test and recut if necessary (start small!).

The cutter is a Pepboys cheapy for $10. I keep it in the car and it has come very handy in many ways.

LicenseLightCut.jpg

Snippers.jpg

The switchbacks are kind of a cool idea, but they got old to me after a while in the last truck.

Regardless, they wouldn't work with the Edge. I have no idea why, but you might take that into account when you decide.

For the Edge, I went with the 7w amber ones.

Edited by Dingo

post-17376-0-74163000-1312566828_thumb.jpgpost-17376-0-74163000-1312566828_thumb.jpg

Here's photos of the cut you needed to make the license plate lights shine evenly. I cut the left (Drivers) side light hole with these cutters below. The plastic is relatively soft and easy to cut and in a pinch you could probably get the job done with a steak knife (obviously not recommended).

I did this hack job (you can see the roughness) in 5 minutes at night without any measuring. Just cut test and recut if necessary (start small!).

The cutter is a Pepboys cheapy for $10. I keep it in the car and it has come very handy in many ways.

LicenseLightCut.jpg

Snippers.jpg

Hi. I did as directed.

I flipped the left side casing over (drivers side) and made the little wedge. however.. If I dont flip the leff side casing over then both lights point the same direction...When I flip the casing the left side LED points outwards (towards the street) and the right side LED points inwards (towards the plate). Im not sure how you placed the leds so that the light distribution is balanced.

I took some pics of my results

post-17376-0-11675400-1312566873_thumb.jpg

post-17376-0-74163000-1312566828_thumb.jpgpost-17376-0-74163000-1312566828_thumb.jpg

Hi. I did as directed.

I flipped the left side casing over (drivers side) and made the little wedge. however.. If I dont flip the leff side casing over then both lights point the same direction...When I flip the casing the left side LED points outwards (towards the street) and the right side LED points inwards (towards the plate). Im not sure how you placed the leds so that the light distribution is balanced.

I took some pics of my results

Mine do the same thing. You can't really tell the difference on mine versus before. In the OE configuration, light was skewed to one side more.

I can't really see the difference currently, so I don't mess with it any more. I'm sure there's a way to turn the bulbs... Just not sure it's quite worth the work.