Phantom Power Liftgate - Opens By Itself

I'm sure it's not by itself, but this has happened three times in six weeks and I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced it.

I've come out of a store and found my liftgate open. I keep the transmitter in my pocket with my cell and just find it hard to believe that the cell is hitting the liftgate button twice within three seconds and I'm close enough to the car.

I'm going to isoltae the transmitter with nothing else in my pocket, but it just seems strange.

I'm sure it's not by itself, but this has happened three times in six weeks and I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced it.

I've come out of a store and found my liftgate open. I keep the transmitter in my pocket with my cell and just find it hard to believe that the cell is hitting the liftgate button twice within three seconds and I'm close enough to the car.

I'm going to isoltae the transmitter with nothing else in my pocket, but it just seems strange.

Believe it! You aren't the first one - keep the fob by itself.

I've found the two tie-down hooks on the rear trim panel need to be laying completely flat. I've had a few instances where I've caught them when removing stuff from the hatch area and flipped them outward and they've interfered with the closing of the hatch and it's re-opened phantomly by itself. Thankfully I watch to ensure the hatch always closes %100 before walking away.

I've found the two tie-down hooks on the rear trim panel need to be laying completely flat. I've had a few instances where I've caught them when removing stuff from the hatch area and flipped them outward and they've interfered with the closing of the hatch and it's re-opened phantomly by itself. Thankfully I watch to ensure the hatch always closes %100 before walking away.

Also, don't start the car while the gate is closing. It will open again or close depending on its mood :lol:

Edited by cal3thousand

Hi Everyone. This is my first post and I only registered because of this post. I have had my new Edge for all of two days and coming home from work last night my Lift gate opened by itself. I had put something in it and closed and then got in started it and drove away. Only to get home wondering how long I had driven with it open. I had the radio up and truly did not notice it. Short drive at 30 mph tops. So later on last night I got in my car and drove down the street. If you hit the key fab to open the lift gate while in Drive it will NOT work. It beeps loud to remind us that we are driving. So, I would not think that is the problem. I also hit the close button on the lift gate and then started the car in the middle of it closing and when the car started it paused then resumed and closed. I just wonder what else I may have done to make this happen. I am not even wondering if the car is broken at this point. I am wondering more if I caused it. Maybe it was not even closed all the way when I started the car, Maybe it is more sensitive if it is almost shut and you start the car. I am not sure. I could have sworn it closed though before I left the parking lot at work.

Anyway, did you all figure anything else?

thanks

Hi Everyone. This is my first post and I only registered because of this post. I have had my new Edge for all of two days and coming home from work last night my Lift gate opened by itself. I had put something in it and closed and then got in started it and drove away. Only to get home wondering how long I had driven with it open. I had the radio up and truly did not notice it. Short drive at 30 mph tops. So later on last night I got in my car and drove down the street. If you hit the key fab to open the lift gate while in Drive it will NOT work. It beeps loud to remind us that we are driving. So, I would not think that is the problem. I also hit the close button on the lift gate and then started the car in the middle of it closing and when the car started it paused then resumed and closed. I just wonder what else I may have done to make this happen. I am not even wondering if the car is broken at this point. I am wondering more if I caused it. Maybe it was not even closed all the way when I started the car, Maybe it is more sensitive if it is almost shut and you start the car. I am not sure. I could have sworn it closed though before I left the parking lot at work.

thanks

It needs to be fully closed or it *might* open back up when you start the car. I say *might* because I've had times that it would stop moving downward during 'start up' but then continue afterwards. And other times, it will stop closing and open back up.

It needs to be fully closed or it *might* open back up when you start the car. I say *might* because I've had times that it would stop moving downward during 'start up' but then continue afterwards. And other times, it will stop closing and open back up.

So mine was probably opened all thru town going home and I had NO idea. I was tired and had the stereo on and the moon roof open... OMG.. I must of looked like a tool..... :)

So I don't get why the folks above in this thread say it is the key fab. I have tried and it will not let you open the liftgate while in drive. Mine BEEPS LOUD to tell me NO! :)

It isn't opening while driving - it is that it didn't fully close before they started the car and he drove off with it open.

We are saying it is easy to open the gate with the fob in your pocket when you are just in range of your car.

It isn't opening while driving - it is that it didn't fully close before they started the car and he drove off with it open.

We are saying it is easy to open the gate with the fob in your pocket when you are just in range of your car.

Ok Got it. Mine obviously was not closed when I drove off that day. I was afraid to put my dog back there ever again.. Thanks

• 1 month later...

Hi Everyone, we have experienced the same thing on three seperate occasions. The first time it happened to my wife while she was backing out of our garage. She didn't realize that the hatch was open and damaged the it when it contacted the garage door frame to the tune of 1700.00 dollars. Of course we couldn't dupilcate the condition so we drove on. A few weeks later as I was sitting in traffic at a signal light I noticed that the hatch was open. I tried closing it from the button on the dashboard and it wouldn't close. I had to put it in park and exit the vehicle to close it manually. A few weeks after that it happened to my wife again as she was backing out of the garage again and the hatch was damaged again. Can you believe it?

I took it in to our local dealer and they contacted the Ford hotline to see if anyone was having this problem and they told me that Ford said that they weren't getting any complaints about unintended hatch openings. They kept the vehicle for a week and tried to duplicate the problem but were not able to. Ford said that there is nothing more they can do. So we have decided to disable the auto hatch opening and just do it manually.

Hi Everyone, we have experienced the same thing on three seperate occasions. The first time it happened to my wife while she was backing out of our garage. She didn't realize that the hatch was open and damaged the it when it contacted the garage door frame to the tune of 1700.00 dollars. Of course we couldn't dupilcate the condition so we drove on. A few weeks later as I was sitting in traffic at a signal light I noticed that the hatch was open. I tried closing it from the button on the dashboard and it wouldn't close. I had to put it in park and exit the vehicle to close it manually. A few weeks after that it happened to my wife again as she was backing out of the garage again and the hatch was damaged again. Can you believe it?

I took it in to our local dealer and they contacted the Ford hotline to see if anyone was having this problem and they told me that Ford said that they weren't getting any complaints about unintended hatch openings. They kept the vehicle for a week and tried to duplicate the problem but were not able to. Ford said that there is nothing more they can do. So we have decided to disable the auto hatch opening and just do it manually.

Jeez that sucks. I don't mean to be rude, but was she looking at all when backing up?

If you had a BU camera, you would be seeing a screwy picture angle before the accident AND/OR if she looked back, she'd have see the gate wide open. There's no replacement for visual recognition.

Btw, the hatch won't pop or close when in drive , so it must have been opened BEFORE put in drive huh.gif)

I'm going suggest your wife pay more attention to her surroundings while driving.

And if you REALLY believe it's the keyfob's problem, make a cover like I did.

Edited by cal3thousand

Yes she was looking when she was backing up but with two vehicles in the garage there isn't much room and you have to watch the mirriors more than anything else to keep from ripping them off on the garage door frame. Backing out of a tight garage sounds easy enough until you try it. But we're really bummed about this and will probable look elsewhere, other than Ford for our next new vehicle. Thanks for your comment.

Jeez that sucks. I don't mean to be rude, but was she looking at all when backing up?

If you had a BU camera, you would be seeing a screwy picture angle before the accident AND/OR if she looked back, she'd have see the gate wide open. There's no replacement for visual recognition.

Btw, the hatch won't pop or close when in drive , so it must have been opened BEFORE put in drive huh.gif)

I'm going suggest your wife pay more attention to her surroundings while driving.

And if you REALLY believe it's the keyfob's problem, make a cover like I did.

thanks

I had the same thing happen to me one week after getting my 2011 Edge Limited AWD. I left work (parking garage) and drove all the way from the top floor and down the road about two miles when I thought something looked strange out the rear veiw mirror; I then realized that my liftgate was open. At the time I thought maybe I had pushed the key fob somehow as it was in my pocket. Well, one week later the same thing happened only this time the liftgate went up in the parking garage when I was leaving work. The liftgate hit the concrete support and basically exploded glass and parts all over. I called my ford dealership and thier reply was that they have never heard of such a thing happening.

The car is still in the shop for repair, at this time requires whole new lift gate at a cost of $3500-$4000! Note: I read the owners manuel after it happened the second time and learned that the liftgate is not supposed to open when the car was in drive. I could not replicate what happened but do truly believe that this occurred on it own. In neither instance did I open the liftgate prior to leaving or arriving at work. Would appreciate any thoughts or other experiences people may have had to help resolve this issue.

I'm with Cal3thousand on this one! I've had my hatch "magically" open on a few occasions and in every case, I could verify it was something in the way when I closed it. It's a safety mechanism on the hatch, so you can't cut your hands or head off. It's very sensitive and doesn't take much to keep it from latching. Its entirely possible that something else it going on, but in any case, the hatch is open when backing up, how do you not notice this. Even if you had .5" on either side and had to use the side mirrors to navigate, the first thing should be to check directly behind before moving. Backing up is dangerous at the best of times. My apologies if you feel I'm being harsh, but I felt bad for you until you mentioned thinking twice about getting another Ford, I think that is a bit extreme. Sh!t Happens! Just don't blame the car.

I've trained myself just to wait for it to close before walking away. This way I don't start while its closing, or don't leave it open because it didn't latch correctly. I've seen people do the same with a manual hatch. Push it closed and have it not latch, but didn't realize because they were in the middle of doing something else. Technology is making us lazy, just because its automatic doesn't mean you shouldn't verify its closed, just like you would if it was manual.

With regards to the FOB, I can see that issue as well, but it hasn't happened to me yet, again, I wouldn't blame Ford, in most cases a FOB with a remote hatch is...a FOB with a remote hatch, they all have buttons that can be pressed in error. My issue is with the panic button, I've hit hat a few times, its lest costly then not noticing you hatch open and hitting it on something, but it still makes me wish there was a way around it. But hey, its a panic button, if it wasn't immediately available, it wouldn't be a panic button would it. B)

2 minutes of searching found everyone else has the same issue, 2 even mention the hatch as the problem...you want a FOB and auto hatch, deal with it!

Toyota

Cadillac

Nissan

• Like 2

I have wondered for two years now if that safety feature is foolproof. I got caught in it once and it would not open back up. I was loading up stuff in the back and one of my gloves got lost in the mess, so I leaned in to get it and at the same time my moron boyfriend (no longer) closed the hatch. I did not get out fast enough. Instead of opening when it hit me it kept trying to close.

I have wondered for two years now if that safety feature is foolproof. I got caught in it once and it would not open back up. I was loading up stuff in the back and one of my gloves got lost in the mess, so I leaned in to get it and at the same time my moron boyfriend (no longer) closed the hatch. I did not get out fast enough. Instead of opening when it hit me it kept trying to close.

That's scary.

They must have done something since, because my hatch seems to stop at the slightest obstruction.

Are you sure he wasn't holding the button? :)