Cold air intake or just K&N for better fuel economy?

rltrbill

Has anyone installed a cold air intake on a 2010 Edge and had any gas milage improvements? Was thinking about getting one but am wondering if just the filter will be just as good. I am mostly concrned with improving the fuel milage than performance....

Thanks!

Has anyone installed a cold air intake on a 2010 Edge and had any gas milage improvements? Was thinking about getting one but am wondering if just the filter will be just as good. I am mostly concrned with improving the fuel milage than performance....

Thanks!

This subject was beat to death a month ago--- No one can prove any gas mileage improvement.

Don't waste your money.

I agree with everything in this thread. more air in does not mean less gas used... dont change any air filer from stock if you are looking for better mileage.

More air in actually means MORE gas used because it has to maintain the A/F ratio. However, the notion that a freer flowing air filter provides more air to the engine is ONLY true at WOT.

At anything less than WOT the only difference is the amount of throttle applied. Let's say it flows 10% better - that means that 50% throttle with a K&N looks the same to the engine as 60% throttle with a paper filter.

So for normal driving all you've done is change the amount of throttle you apply - the amount of air is the same therefore the fuel is the same.

• 5 months later...

Freddy1021 I talked to a tech from www.ststurbo.com and he says he can tune your ride safely with no resulting long term engine damage and yield you 3-5 mpg and about 30 more hp. He does this all day long and dyno tests them all so he has documented test results. That website lists all their dealers and contact info. You could make an appointment but the fees for a good tune can run to over $500

Thanks!

Freddy1021 I talked to a tech from www.ststurbo.com and he says he can tune your ride safely with no resulting long term engine damage and yield you 3-5 mpg and about 30 more hp. He does this all day long and dyno tests them all so he has documented test results. That website lists all their dealers and contact info. You could make an appointment but the fees for a good tune can run to over $500

You can't dyno fuel economy and there is NO way a tune will yield a 3-5 mpg gain. No way.

You can't dyno fuel economy and there is NO way a tune will yield a 3-5 mpg gain. No way.

With all the flap about fuel mileage, why do some folks believe they are smarter then the factory engineers? Don't they think that the manufacturer of the vehicle would love to get a few more tenths of a MPG to beat the competition?

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

I have been using K & N filters, installing Cold Air Intakes, CAT back exhausts for over 30 years now. We each have our own opinions and preferences. My favorite is CAT back exhaust and K & N filter (not intake, just filter). This combo seems to yield best fuel mileage and performance gain. I have not had as good results with Cold Air Intakes- on their own or with CAT back exhausts. When I replace the factory filter, I always use K & N. It provides better breath-ability in my opinion. In some cars it yields 1 MPG increase, others none. I have one installed in my 2010 Edge Sport- and I also removed the silencer on top of the intake tube and replaced it with round rubber pucks, which I machined. The combo yielded no difference in performance, sound or MPG. I intend to install CAT back exhaust in about 3-6 months. I will report back the results of the K & N filter and CAT back.

I have been using K & N filters, installing Cold Air Intakes, CAT back exhausts for over 30 years now. We each have our own opinions and preferences. My favorite is CAT back exhaust and K & N filter (not intake, just filter). This combo seems to yield best fuel mileage and performance gain. I have not had as good results with Cold Air Intakes- on their own or with CAT back exhausts. When I replace the factory filter, I always use K & N. It provides better breath-ability in my opinion. In some cars it yields 1 MPG increase, others none. I have one installed in my 2010 Edge Sport- and I also removed the silencer on top of the intake tube and replaced it with round rubber pucks, which I machined. The combo yielded no difference in performance, sound or MPG. I intend to install CAT back exhaust in about 3-6 months. I will report back the results of the K & N filter and CAT back.

With the computer controlling the fuel mixture, I fail to understand how an air filter could possible do anything more than allow slightly more air at full throttle. Perhaps you would be kind to all of us who understand how the system operates and tell us where we are wrong---- Same with an exhaust system--- I only see full throttle improvements--same as it has been for the 65 years I've been driving and the 30+ I spent in the business---

Flame if you must, but I received a K&N air filter as a Christmas gift after purchasing my 3.7L Sport. I carefully kept track of every fill-up and saw a gain of 1-3mpg. I removed it, I lost the same mpg, I re-installed and saw my gain again. My friend who owns a performance shop told me he uses them all the time and to not listen to all the non believers. I'm a believer and its worked for me. Try it yourself and see how you make out.

Flame if you must, but I received a K&N air filter as a Christmas gift after purchasing my 3.7L Sport. I carefully kept track of every fill-up and saw a gain of 1-3mpg. I removed it, I lost the same mpg, I re-installed and saw my gain again. My friend who owns a performance shop told me he uses them all the time and to not listen to all the non believers. I'm a believer and its worked for me. Try it yourself and see how you make out.

Even K&N makes no "increased mileage claim" You still haven't explained how that works-- The mixture is controlled by the computer. Tests have been run with air filters stopped up against brand new ones and there was no change in gas mileage. Don't you think that if the gas mileage could be increased by changing the air filter that the automobile mfgr. would do it just to help their CAFE and sell cars? I've used K&N filters and all I found was an increase in intake noise in most cases, and a PITA to wash and clean. They are not cost efective till you drive one over 150,ooo miles. I don't know anyone who drives at full throttle all the time, so occasional performance use doesn't cut it either, but--- if it makes you happy to pour bucks into your ride, go for it, but unless you have something that technically proves your claim of gas mileage increase, you need to get a booth at the state fair and sell it along with the snake oil----

• 1 month later...

Well I finally installed a K & N filter in my 2010 Sport. And even though I have always used and supported the use of K & N filters, I expected only about .5 MPG increase. My increase is actually a whopping 1.9 MPG- same exact driver (me) and driving style as before the K & N. So, I am up to 21.9 MPG around town. I also did one other mod- the same one that Mike M. did. I removed the plastic sound chamber from the intake and manufactured two plugs to go into the vacant large holes. I first unbolted the entire intake tube, then proceeded to cut the clamps that hold the sound chamber on. The sound chamber pulled right out and there were 2 large, different size holes in the intake. I used some left over black rubber type sheeting I obtained from work- 1/2 inch thick and about 60 durometer I am guessing and cut 2 round pieces to match the openings in the intake. Then I bought 2 SST large round hose clamps at Lowe's, dropped the plugs in place and clamped them on with the SST clamps. The result is that the plugs are flush with the outside and since they are black, look great- and it looks factory. I did not notice any increase in intake sound. The total cost was just the clamps which were about $2.50 each, since the material was a freebie. i am not sure if this helped the MPG although it simplifies the intake and to me looks better without that large sound chamber on.

• 3 months later...

I did just this, but alas it made no difference because if you're not willing to try it out first hand, you're bound to bash it with no experience.