Private Cash - Go get it...

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my experience (and thanks to the other posts in this forum for helping me ask the right questions/make the right decisions).

Yesterday I saw that my local dealer had a 2013 Edge in stock that met my preferences (Limited,AWD, 302A, Towing package) and so I stopped in on my way home from work to get a price. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the dealer could offer me an X-plan price (a deal through my employer that I did not know about). With the $500+$500 rebates (including the incentive for Ford credit) the price looked good, but not quite a slam dunk. The seller asked me if I had received any customer cash offers in the mail. I think I have had some offers in the past year, but I know they ended up in the recycling bin. The seller told me that "they could look up online to see if I qualified". I left the dealership and went home and took a closer look at the offer. It was pretty good and I knew I would be happy--if I could get the additional $750 discount.

So I went back into the dealership today and told the seller that I wanted him to check online to see if I qualified for the $750 "private cash" *and* I told him that I would buy immediately if I did qualify. He took my driver's license, went back into the back to check and came back in about 10 minutes with the good news--tonight I am a happy owner of a brand new Edge. What a nice ride!

The only hitch in the deal was there was a $399 charge added in for VIN Etching. I asked the seller why and he said it was an option and I could tell the finance guy that I wanted it removed. I did have to ask specifically to have this removed--the folks at the dealership seemed almost sheepish about the charge and I got no push back.

Overall a good experience--I have been reading the Ford Edge forums for the last couple of months and everything I learned paid-off today.

Thanks!

For reference (I am in Oregon, west of Portland):

Base Price: $38,890

302A: $ 5,575

Class II towing $ 395

White Tri-coat $ 495

Dest/Delivery $ 825

Equip Group Svgs $ (485)

Total MSRP $43,695

My price after x-plan

and discounts $39,509

Oregon license and registration added another $394

I know I have seen better deals on this site but I am happy--I really like keeping it simple.

Congrats. The VIN etching is just something the sales manager decided to include by default in the buyer's order hoping to force more customers to buy it. I despise those practices but it's good your salesman was up front about it and didn't try to sell you on it.

It is true that your private cash offer is in VINcent - you don't actually need the physical coupon. In fact even if you have the coupon if it's not in the system you can't get it.

• 5 months later...

My private cash showed up a week after I bought my edge. I had called into cus svc and they said its up to the dealership to honor it after the fact. Also they said I missed it in the system by one lousy day. After all the trouble Ive had in the first two weeks of ownership, I hope they do me the favor and get this for me. I also had vin etching on the final sales slip, even though they made it sound like it was included at no extra cost. I think the benefits outweigh the original cost and at 225 it really does nothing to really affect my payment anyway

• 1 month later...

Is it? A friend of mine is a car saleman and he told me that the last week of their sales cycle they're always scrambling to close deals to meet and beat incentives based on units sold that cycle.

It must vary by dealership because I've heard most salespeople say the opposite - it doesn't matter. I guess it depends on how their incentives are set up.

Received an e-mail today from Ford, with $750 private cash certificate included :hyper:

2011/2012/2013 vehicles: $500 on Fiesta and Focus. $750 on a Ford or Lincoln vehicle. Not available on hybrids, Fiesta S, Focus S, Focus ST, Focus Electric, C-MAX, C-MAX Energi, Taurus SE, Edge SE AWD, SVT Raptor, Shelby
®
GT500
®
, Mustang Boss
®
302. May not combine with other private or commercial offers, owner loyalty and lease renewal programs. A/Z/D Plan ineligible. Nontransferable out of household. Limit one per household. U.S. residents. Must redeem using original offer; no duplicates accepted. Prior purchases not eligible. Take new retail delivery from dealer stock by 12/23/2012. See dealer for details. Note to dealer: Claim in VINCENT using #33938 and customer ID.

Narrowed down to 13 Jeep GC Laredo X and 13 Ford Edge SEL. Jeep also increased incentive from 500 to 1000 today.

Any rational to go with one not the other?

Received my $750 Private Cash today after reading this thread! This place rocks! Any one used it with the X-plan? How about ordering one vs. taking out of dealer stock? Assuming the current twin $1,500 factory rebates on a new Edge would still be good...

You can use it with X plan. Everything you buy is "dealer stock" - that phrase used to mean that you only get the incentives when the vehicle is delivered regardless of whether you order or buy off the lot. But now Ford offers incentive protection so you can usually get either the incentives at time of order or when it arrives.

Received an e-mail today from Ford, with $750 private cash certificate included :hyper:

2011/2012/2013 vehicles: $500 on Fiesta and Focus. $750 on a Ford or Lincoln vehicle. Not available on hybrids, Fiesta S, Focus S, Focus ST, Focus Electric, C-MAX, C-MAX Energi, Taurus SE, Edge SE AWD, SVT Raptor, Shelby
®
GT500
®
, Mustang Boss
®
302. May not combine with other private or commercial offers, owner loyalty and lease renewal programs. A/Z/D Plan ineligible. Nontransferable out of household. Limit one per household. U.S. residents. Must redeem using original offer; no duplicates accepted. Prior purchases not eligible. Take new retail delivery from dealer stock by 12/23/2012. See dealer for details. Note to dealer: Claim in VINCENT using #33938 and customer ID.

Narrowed down to 13 Jeep GC Laredo X and 13 Ford Edge SEL. Jeep also increased incentive from 500 to 1000 today.

Any rational to go with one not the other?

I too looked at both, and after taking a test drive in the Jeep, I decided to go with the Edge, smoother ride, more leg room, more stylish not like riding in a box....

• 2 weeks later...

I called Ford to make sure my information is in the system, but my dealer cannot find it. I called Ford again to check, but they told me the $750 is selectively given by the system -- it's radomly, and they cannot control anything about it. I am going to purchase the Ford 2013 Edge tomorrow... Can anyone tell me what should I do to get the $750? Thanks, Jessey

I called Ford to make sure my information is in the system, but my dealer cannot find it. I called Ford again to check, but they told me the $750 is selectively given by the system -- it's radomly, and they cannot control anything about it. I am going to purchase the Ford 2013 Edge tomorrow... Can anyone tell me what should I do to get the $750? Thanks, Jessey

I would order more brochures and wait it out. I ordered ones for 4 serperate vehciles about 3 weeks ago and got the offer for 3 of them plus another via email. They started coming as soon as 1 week (Escape) and as slow as the Edge brochure I got just yesterday.

• 4 weeks later...

Have an Edge on order and would like to know if I request a brochure now to get the private cash, typically how long do you have until it expires?

Ordered our Edge at the end of November and just trying to figure out if I should wait a couple more weeks until I request this because I don't want the PC to expire before the Edge arrives.

Thanks for the help!

Mark