MFT Overhaul Press Release

The screenshots look nice, but i noticed some differences between the Autoblog screen shots and video. I guess they are still working on usability when this was released.

I didn't see a button for the MKX's heated steering wheel, nor did I see room for one. i know they were showing off the Escape, but I'm nervous because I use that thing 4-5 months out of the year and it's currently on the main screen.

Do you think us Americans will finally get software-enabled DRL's with this patch? (I can dream, can't I?)

The screenshots look nice, but i noticed some differences between the Autoblog screen shots and video. I guess they are still working on usability when this was released.

I didn't see a button for the MKX's heated steering wheel, nor did I see room for one. i know they were showing off the Escape, but I'm nervous because I use that thing 4-5 months out of the year and it's currently on the main screen.

Do you think us Americans will finally get software-enabled DRL's with this patch? (I can dream, can't I?)

John, I thought the same thing when I looked at the climate screen. I just assume it will be different for the MKX as it is not even an available option on the other vehicle. I sure as Hell hope they finally can make the seat heaters turn on and off via voice!!

I'll tell you another thing: if they wanted honest feedback from some real enthusiasts, all they had to do was to come here and ask away!!

Edited by richy

As a new owner who is just getting used to the existing GUI, this looks like a cleaner design, and the response speed improvement will be welcomed. One gripe... It looks like they're taking away the outside temperature readout. I'm not seeing it on any of the screen shots. IMO, it would me greatly missed.

It's available on the little screen to the right of the speedo.

I'm glad they removed it. I dislike seeing the redundancy laugh.gif

It's available on the little screen to the right of the speedo.

I'm glad they removed it. I dislike seeing the redundancy laugh.gif

I'm not sure if it was just me, or due to the conversion to Celsius, but my "redundant" options didn't always match. Depending on the temp, they were 1 degree off. It always irritated me, perhaps this is one of the reasons they removed one. Who needs to sort out that bug, if you can only see one, then its as good as fixed ;-)

I'm not sure if it was just me, or due to the conversion to Celsius, but my "redundant" options didn't always match. Depending on the temp, they were 1 degree off. It always irritated me, perhaps this is one of the reasons they removed one. Who needs to sort out that bug, if you can only see one, then its as good as fixed ;-)

That's one way of thinking. I hope Ford went farther than patching a few problems. My guess is they kept the general concept of the quadrants and did a total rewrite while keeping the 4 areas.

I hope!

I read it will have "further map detail" like better 3D and better routing. Does this also mean it will update the maps from 2010? Will roads that were built since 2010 be shown?

I too would like more clarity on the Nav, map data, & Gracenotes. Is it just "enhanced"map data or a true enhancement PLUS a 2012 map data update showing new streets & new POI ( Like newly added starbucks, restaurantes, etc)

Also- I gues no mention of an enhanced experience with a combo of gracenotes & the mp3 metadata? Meaning we currently have to choose- 3D art work & the limited gracenote databace or no 3D art but full mp3 meta data support.

No mention of heated seat as a voice command. but we have 10,000 to change the temp from 71 to 72....etc

tenstepn - Thanks for the Autoblog article. The video is intriguing.

I read it will have "further map detail" like better 3D and better routing. Does this also mean it will update the maps from 2010? Will roads that were built since 2010 be shown?

Ok, these press releases are stating that the update will come via USB. Wouldn't we need a new SD Card to experience the promises that are being made of the upgrades to the nav system?

The Engaget article makes an interesting reference to the multimedia capabilities from a tablet via USB. I am curious if that means my iPod Classic will be able to display video out via USB. As was stated with the DRL's, I can dream can't I?

:P

I am cautiously excited. A simpler interface, less lag & bigger touch buttons would address my biggest disappointments with MFT. This is good news.

Peace,

DM

Wow...great idea. I backed my card up when we bought the Edge; I'll have to dig up a sutiable card and see if it makes a difference. For us this would be huge since our unit lags so badly we have missed several streets/exits. When moving really slow the unit is off by at least 50 feet and at highway speeds it is more like 100-150 feet. Around here the interchanges can be very busy and it is easy with a lag such as this to pick the wrong street. This has never been an issue with the portables we have owned in the past or other OEM offerings.