MFT Overhaul Press Release

I think they believed they could stabilize it within a month or two at most and if they had then it wouldn't be an issue. But they didn't and I agree they should compensate folks who have had problems. I think they will but we'll have to wait and see.

A month or two would have been palatable if they had disclosed to me about the issues when I was purchasing the car. They sold me a car with a working MFT....at least that was what I was led to believe.

Trying to hide the issues is where Ford failed the most.

It's been 14+ months. Ford has had plenty of time to come forward and apologize to me for selling me a system that they knew was broken.

Lack of communication is the next area Ford failed.

Edited by wilsons66604

I shouldn't have to come crawling back to Ford asking for a comp.

Ford knew what they had. I should have been informed when I was making the purchase and then offered the comp.

You may still get an apology and a comp of some sort when you get the new update in the mail.

But until then - how is Ford supposed to know that you're an unhappy customer unless you tell them? Remember we have several Edge MFT owners who are either happy or at least not too upset about their MFT experiences so how is Ford supposed to know the difference?

• Like 1

You may still get an apology and a comp of some sort when you get the new update in the mail.

But until then - how is Ford supposed to know that you're an unhappy customer unless you tell them? Remember we have several Edge MFT owners who are either happy or at least not too upset about their MFT experiences so how is Ford supposed to know the difference?

Ford knew the MFT was screwed up when the first Edge rolled off the line. They went ahead and kept it quiet hoping no one would notice. Ford must have thought their customers were a bunch of idiots and they wouldn't notice. Would it have hurt if Ford admitted the issues up front to ALL (unhappy AND happy) owners?

Yes. It will still be nice to get an apology but it would have been better if they admitted this up front.

I'm one of those who really have had no problems to speak of . Well until recently. The voice directions stopped working on the navigation so I disconnected then reconnected the battery and everything works ok now. I didn't even have to pair my phone again. I have 24k miles on my edge that I bought 14 months ago. I use the MFT extensively because I drive so much. I have my blackberry paired, use the phone features, have an ipod connected via usb, and the navigation system. I use the navigation system almost every day for work because I go to many different locations. I send locations to my car from google maps and then call "services" and it downloads the location and sets it as my destination. I've searched for places to eat, car washes, starbucks and more.

I've had perhaps two instances of the system rebooting all on its own. I have not visited my dealer at all since I bought it. Only thing I've done to it is change the oil and rotate the tires. That being said, I am looking forward to the update to add additional functionality. I am glad that Ford is fixing the problem for the many of you who have had problems. I'm just curious of all the MFT cars sold so far, what percentage are having problems? It's obviously many, but 50%? 75%? 95%?

I consider myself lucky to have not had any major issues and am a very satisfied Edge owner. I love my car.

I'm running sync version 1.8.

Here is my info from the sync website:

2011 Ford Edge

VIN: 2FMD K4J C4BB A18669

Add

Sync VersionGen2 - V1.8

Update available

Confirmed installations

BT4T-14D545-BA

BT4T-14D546-AD

SYNC compatible software

SYNC compatible software

BT4T-14F603-AD

Waiting to download 0 items.

1.8 and hardly any issues? How is that even possible? I really wonder if there are uunderlying hardware issues. Why else would some have seemingly OK systems on the same software where others have units that can barely keep from rebooting daily?

As a side note...can you comment on your GPS position accuracy? Ours is regularly off byat least 50 feet most times it is 100-150' so in busy areas it can be difficult to be sure of the exit/road. I never had issues like this with TomTom's or Garmins. While I didn't expect this nav to be as customizable I did expect it to be accurate. Also have you seen that directions given vary based on direction of travel? Meaning that going to the destination it routes you differently than the return trip?

1.8 and hardly any issues? How is that even possible? I really wonder if there are uunderlying hardware issues. Why else would some have seemingly OK systems on the same software where others have units that can barely keep from rebooting daily?

As a side note...can you comment on your GPS position accuracy? Ours is regularly off byat least 50 feet most times it is 100-150' so in busy areas it can be difficult to be sure of the exit/road. I never had issues like this with TomTom's or Garmins. While I didn't expect this nav to be as customizable I did expect it to be accurate. Also have you seen that directions given vary based on direction of travel? Meaning that going to the destination it routes you differently than the return trip?

I don't know how it's possible, but it is. When I have had minor problems with it, I've either shut the car off or let the system reboot on its own. I didn't try to force anything. We're talking Microsoft here after all. While I use all Microsoft products (windows, office, etc.) I'm not exactly impressed with their reliability. Vista anyone?

Maybe because I have one of the earliest versions and haven't messed with it is the reason my system is ok. I don't know. I just know that I'm a real person who likes her edge and likes the MFT. It doesn't work perfectly, but I don't know of too many tech things that do.

You can see from my prior posts that I haven't been here for a while, mostly due to the fact that I've been happy with the performance (well the gas mileage could be better) of my Edge. I was going to take my Edge in to the dealer for a MFT update but they suggested that I wait until after the first of the year when the new version is released.

Personally, the fact that my car's control interface can be changed/updated is pretty cool. I like taking advantage of new technology. I'm curious, now that the NTSB has issued advice that NO cellphones (except for built in systems?) be used while driving will the MFT system be embraced or outlawed by lawmakers?

As for my navigation, it appears to be quite accurate. Tells me to turn exactly at the intersection. I don't notice it to be off at all. I have had two occasions where the GPS screwed up. But considering that I use it on average three days a week to take me different places (in Michigan and Ohio) I'm quite satisfied. I'd like to see an update to the navigation...will we receive new SD cards for it?

My return trips always seem to take me the way I originally went. I do have the breadcrumbs turned on.

It is suspicious that some people have never had an issue.

Is there a supply issue?

Do some units not meet specs?

Did Ford except them by mistake?

Wilson, I agree that just doesn't add up.

It is strange that many, many people have had problems while I have not. Where were the MFT hardware and software systems manufactured? All in the same location? Overseas? Perhaps their is a quality control issue? Bring the manufacturing back to Michigan:) and there won't be any problems. (Sorry, couldn't resist a plug for my home state)

Akirby, (at least I think that is your screen name) you should know where these systems are manufactured/assembled. Or could find out? Perhaps it is a supply issue. Maybe my system was one of the very first manufactured. I did purchase my Edge in October of 2010.

I don't have any inside knowledge on the components. As far as I know they're all the same, but we know there were some APIM failures that had to be replaced. It's possible there are others that are flaky.

It's also possible that the software is simply more sensitive to certain types of phones or combinations of features and/or usage patterns that make it worse for some than others.

I had one reboot on 2.8. It's about 4 times a week on 2.11.

That is basically our story too. Pretty much OK on 2.8 but 2.11 has been a nightmare.

Newedgeforme...wasn't trying to imply you were making up your claims just can't fathom how some units seem OK with known buggy software and others on newer software crash just about daily. I think there must be a hardware issue, I don't see any other way to explain it. The issue then becomes is it hardware connected to MFT or the MFT itself.

Akirby...I know some phones have issues staying paired but we had the same phoneon 2.8 and it worked pretty good, now 2.11 it is horrible. Phones have never been updated in this timeframe so the only change is the MFT software. Also while I could see certain phones causing problems I am not sure why they would also affect the audio, nav, etc.

Akirby...I know some phones have issues staying paired but we had the same phoneon 2.8 and it worked pretty good, now 2.11 it is horrible. Phones have never been updated in this timeframe so the only change is the MFT software. Also while I could see certain phones causing problems I am not sure why they would also affect the audio, nav, etc.

I'm not blaming the phones - I'm saying that the new software has bugs that are tripped with some phones more than others based on how the phone uses the bluetooth profiles, etc.

I'm not blaming the phones - I'm saying that the new software has bugs that are tripped with some phones more than others based on how the phone uses the bluetooth profiles, etc.

I think that's def a possibility, I got my edge in oct 2010 with 1.8 i've since upgraded to 2.8 and then 2.11 (self install) however I rarely had issues besides the system being sluggish. very rarely the phone will not pair but that clears up usually after a stop/shutdown. I originally had a Blackberry Curve 8320 and then replaced that with a blackberry curve 9300, and I currently have both phones paired (wife took the old phone) I do have a 16 GB USB key plugged in with music on it which works fine. When I was on version 1.8 the shuffle music didn't work (it would play the same songs each time it shuffled the shuffling wasn't random(That's been fixed since 2.8 for me) I did try the video playback once (worked fine for me)

I would consider myself techie (been in the biz for 20 years) I am looking forward to the update, hopefully us Canadians don't get stiffed.

M.

My experience has been that 2.11 has been much more stable than 2.8 was, but neither has been great by any stretch of the imagination. I see my system spontaneously reboot about once a month or so, but it usually recovers OK after that. I have also noticed that if I am using the navigation and I arrive at my destination, if I leave that little pop-up window on the system (the one that tells you have arrived and what your travel time was), and then I shut the car off without pressing "OK" on that window that the system will not seemingly shutdown like it is supposed to. I don't know if the screen is staying on all night, but when I start the car up the next morning instead of getting the Ford splash screen and the normal boot-up it will instantly come back on with the previously described screen from the day before.

I have also noticed that the more I push the system the more I can get it to crash and burn. Which means unfortunately the times that it fails are the times that you are depending on it the most. The only time I've had a completely black screen that required the fuse pull was in the middle of our family vacation while stopped at a New York rest area. Luckily I knew the fuse trick or we would have been a little screwed as we were depending on the navigation at that point.

I received a phone call from Ford the other day but I missed the lady both times she called me. I called her back but never got a return call. I wonder if that was my opportunity to be offered a comp and I missed out?

In any event I am content at this point to wait a couple of more months and see what the update looks like. To have taken this much time to get it to us would imply that it would be thoroughly tested, but I guess we will have to see that for ourselves.

I liked 2.8 more than 2.11.

Mostly mine was fine, an occasional not pairing with my iphone with 2.8 and a stop and restart always fixed it. That was really the only issues I experienced on 2.8.

With 2.11 it's just been strange. For a while if I selected Sirius (no subscription) the cancel window that opens would just flash and not allow me to cancel out of it or select another audio source. I was able to duplicate this one easily but then it rebooted itself a few days later and now I can't duplicate it. Then I had a window pop up saying it couldn't find my ipod. While the ipod would play fine, the window wouldn't go away. If I chose the radio the window blocked me from being able to input a station number directly. If I switched to another function, the window remained. Stopping and restarting cleared that one up.

2.11 so far has just been random odd things. On 2.8 it seemed to recognize my voice better. On 2.8 when I press the voice button and say, "call so and so", it would call them fine. Now with 2.11 it puts up 2 or 3 different names on the screen and asks me to select the proper one. This doesn't happen every time but it never happened before.

To me, all of this seems like bad programming and not bad hardware.

I also have had virtually no problem with my MFT Gen2 v2.4. Bought my Edge SEL in August. Three incidents since then.

1) (Sept) On I-95 just outside Boston the nav would ocasionally say " No nav" (or off route or something like that) and then it would come back on.

2) (Sept) One time my iPhone wouldn't connect. I was just going to work and I didn't bother trying to fix it. When I started it up to go home, the phone connected.

3) (Nov) One other time my phone wouldn't connect for 2 days in a row. I used the USB reboot and after the maintebnance screen, my phone connected.

No "appreciable"problems since then. I have seen lag sometimes but that seems to be when the system is indexing a USB device or the Nav is booting.

PS - I just got an email from Ford Canada outlining the new MFT rewrite and that it would be available in early 2012. Seems they won't be mailing us Canadians a USB key. We have to go to the dealer.

Edited by seabee78

I also have had virtually no problem with my MFT Gen2 v2.4. Bought my Edge SEL in August. Three incidents since then.

1) (Sept) On I-95 just outside Boston the nav would ocasionally say " No nav" (or off route or something like that) and then it would come back on.

2) (Sept) One time my iPhone wouldn't connect. I was just going to work and I didn't bother trying to fix it. When I started it up to go home, the phone connected.

3) (Nov) One other time my phone wouldn't connect for 2 days in a row. I used the USB reboot and after the maintebnance screen, my phone connected.

No "appreciable"problems since then. I have seen lag sometimes but that seems to be when the system is indexing a USB device or the Nav is booting.

PS - I just got an email from Ford Canada outlining the new MFT rewrite and that it would be available in early 2012. Seems they won't be mailing us Canadians a USB key. We have to go to the dealer.

Good to hear a Canadian got some sort info regarding the rewrite. I haven't received anything, If they are not sending us USB keys, i'm guessing we are also out of luck for updated Maps? not sure if there was any mention of updated maps for Canadians, however I think the SD card must be the same as the U.S. as it covers North America if I'm not mistaken. if would be nice if they could make the download available for us to install it ourselves... Taking it to the dealer is a hassle.

M.

Did they actually say that, or just not mention the USB? What about the SD for the NAV update? If they told you that, its another dump on us in the North. I still find it hard to believe the Edge and MKX are built 100km from me and I can't use all of its features in my Country. I think this pisses me off more then the MFT issues. It's just the principle of it all.

When did you get your Edge? If similar to your join date, then I've had mine for close to a year longer (Sept 2010) and I still haven't received any notification on the updates.

I'm with the bunch that liked 2.8 better. I've had more issues with 2.11 then any other release. Sure its faster and has a few visual issues sorted out, but it reboots and locks up, more then even my 1.8 did. Once a week, my radio locks up that I can't turn it off with the button, only with voice commands. This gets fixed on the next reboot, again that seems to be at least once a week. I've also had to pull 29 more since 2.11 then the rest of the time I had the MFT.