Major Upgrade (Rewrite) Details

But what other owners have that opportunity?

In the official press release on the update: http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=35502 They have the following quote "While owners reported that they love the system, there were distinct areas where they wanted improvements. Earlier this year, Ford started delivering on their requests, beginning with more instructions and information on how to best utilize the capabilities of the system. Ford launched two programs modeled after what consumers experience when purchasing a new electronic device. First, the company added a new MyFord Touch owner support website featuring how-to videos at www.syncmyride.com. Second, free “SYNC My Ride” personalized training sessions for new owners are now offered through Ford dealers – scheduled at customers’ convenience. "

To me that reads that the owners are idiots and don't know how to use the system. While I am sure there are plenty of those out there, that isn't the reason they rewrote this software.

As a side note, I had no idea until now that Ford was offering personalized training sessions. Just another thing I have to find out on my own. I understand they can't send out letters each time they find/do something but being that I have contacted SMR several times you would think they would at least mention this as an option.

Again, that IS YOU READING INTO WHAT THEY ARE SAYING, not what they are actually in any way shape or form saying. Stop putting that on them.

• Like 2

Of course it is a business decision, everything in a for-profit company is a business (money) decision. No one ever said it wasn't. But when you think about it, they didn't HAVE to give it to prior customers. They could have cut their losses and put it in new cars only, which is what every car maker in the history of cars has done. Ford didn't, regardless of whether the dollars made sense to them or not.

I think you're contradicting yourself in the same post. One minute you say that everything is a business or monetary decision, and the next you say they did it regardless of whether or not it made sense. Which is it?

They certainly could have cut their losses by not sending it out to existing customers but my point is that they made a conscious decision not to do that based on the negative financial impact that would have ensued, not because they "love their customers"

And since when has any other car maker in history had a tightly integrated software implementation like this that failed so badly? What possible historical parallel could you be drawing?

• Like 1

I don't understand why you feel Ford is trying to blame someone else. I've personally sat in front of Ford's Vice President of Product Development and heard him admit it was his mistake.

That's nice anecdotal evidence, too bad he wouldn't put it in writing and communicate that to his customers. Seems like a missed PR opportunity.

• Like 2

Again, that IS YOU READING INTO WHAT THEY ARE SAYING, not what they are actually in any way shape or form saying. Stop putting that on them.

Dude, take it down a notch.

I actually interpret it the same way and I'll keep "putting" it on them whenever they come out with anything similar again.

I think you're contradicting yourself in the same post. One minute you say that everything is a business or monetary decision, and the next you say they did it regardless of whether or not it made sense. Which is it?

They certainly could have cut their losses by not sending it out to existing customers but my point is that they made a conscious decision not to do that based on the negative financial impact that would have ensued, not because they "love their customers"

And since when has any other car maker in history had a tightly integrated software implementation like this that failed so badly? What possible historical parallel could you be drawing?

I don't see it as a contradiction. They made the business decision to not ignore their current customers which would have caused serious discontent among them, and they probably would have lost them as customers forever. The cost associated with going forward with upgrading previous customers obviously outweighed losing them as customers.

You answered your own question. Since when in history has a car maker TRIED to so tightly integrate software into their cars? Ford is treading new water all around, from introducing it (notice Chevy, Kia, and others are following Ford's lead in an implementing a tightly integrated infotainment system), to supporting it to figuring out who to get to code for them. I do not think people realize truly how revolutionary Sync and later MFT were in the auto industry. It had never been tried before to such a degree.

• Like 1

Dude, take it down a notch.

I actually interpret it the same way and I'll keep "putting" it on them whenever they come out with anything similar again.

Ok sorry for my notch level, but were the words "it is the customers fault" or " we see it as the customers fault" anywhere in the releases? If not, you are reading into something that clearly isn't there.

• Like 1

I don't see it as a contradiction. They made the business decision to not ignore their current customers which would have caused serious discontent among them, and they probably would have lost them as customers forever. The cost associated with going forward with upgrading previous customers obviously outweighed losing them as customers.

I think what you mean that the cost of losing them as customers is more than the cost of the upgrade, and that we agree on. This would seem to put to rest all the assertions that "they didn't have to do this".

That's your inference, not Ford's misdoing, do not blame them for something they haven't actually said or done. Implying is very different that admitting. This is my point. People are complaining like Ford owes it to them just because THEY happened to CHOOSE to buy a Ford product. If you think that is the way the world works I feel sorry for you.

Geez. I can't believe you said that.

FORD does owe it to me. They got my $40,000 for a car that was supposed to work.

• Like 3

You answered your own question. Since when in history has a car maker TRIED to so tightly integrate software into their cars? Ford is treading new water all around, from introducing it (notice Chevy, Kia, and others are following Ford's lead in an implementing a tightly integrated infotainment system), to supporting it to figuring out who to get to code for them. I do not think people realize truly how revolutionary Sync and later MFT were in the auto industry. It had never been tried before to such a degree.

my opinion, please take it as such:

I agree that it is revolutionary. With that said, maybe they should have waited on a better implementation before jumping to market. They made the business decision to move to market with a product that did not exactly meet their intended design in functionality and user experience.

I also agree that they admitted their mistakes in certain places (good for Ford). But I also see that in other places, they did the usual PR jukes to reduce the perception of fault on their own part.

• Like 3

I agree that it is revolutionary. With that said, maybe they should have waited on a better implementation before jumping to market. They made the business decision to move to market with a product that did not exactly meet their intended design in functionality and user experience.

I also agree that they admitted their mistakes in certain places (good for Ford). But I also see that in other places, they did the usual PR jukes to reduce the perception of fault on their own part.

Very well said.

I think that is a very fair assesment

I have a 2012 Edge with MFT and my wife has a 2010 Fusion with Nav/SYNC... I'd take her system over mine ANY DAY!!! Performance, visually, SYNC, everything seems to work better on her system... Plus, her home page looks 100x better than the 8-bit looking worthless crap on my MFT...

My opinion: Ford took steps BACKWARDS going from 2010 to 2012...

- Cougster

• Like 1

Well I just found these two articles; the first one specifically mentions that the Ford employees beta testing is starting this week and is expected to run a month. With that said I don't think the chances of people seeing this upgrade by late January are likely. So I guess we'll all be waiting a bit longer. In this second article they also mention that people receiving the update will also receive an 1 year warranty extension.

Well I just found these two articles; the first one specifically mentions that the Ford employees beta testing is starting this week and is expected to run a month. With that said I don't think the chances of people seeing this upgrade by late January are likely. So I guess we'll all be waiting a bit longer. In this second article they also mention that people receiving the update will also receive an 1 year warranty extension.

The warranty extension sounds good!