Major Upgrade (Rewrite) Details

I was driving a Durango with a HDD and touchscreen and NAV and voice when the Edge was in the shop.

I have to say that I appreciate the "ideas" and concepts in the MFT in relation, but the responsiveness and reliability were worlds apart. Granted it was a much less visually intensive workout for the hardware in the Dodge, but that's how it should be in the MFT.

If they get rid of the lag on startup and the glitches, I'll be happy again. I really want to be able to show the system off to someone that is getting a ride in my car for the first time without worrying if it will "show up" to the game.

I was only referring to comparing MFT to smart phones and tablets and those who think an in-car OEM system should work exactly the same. It's simply not practical considering the average car's lifespan and operating environment.

And no, I wasn't saying it was ok for it to be slow because of that.

Based on the demos I've seen and using my own touch screen navigation systems in 2 different vehicles PLUS my daughter's MFT equipped 2012 Focus - I don't consider the system too slow for an OEM system.

I believe the performance shown in the video would satisfy 99% of the owners if it worked like that all the time without glitches. And the other 1% are not going to ever be happy with it no matter what.

It's like saying the Edge is too slow because it takes 6.5 seconds to reach 60 mph while Corvettes and GT500 mustangs can do it in less than 4.5 seconds.

That reminds me of another argument I've seen here. The screen has to be an unresponsive resistive touchscreen so people can use it with gloves. And yet the permanent climate controls are touch that don't work with gloves. Maybe that should be the other way around. A good quality touchscreen that people in cold weather can't use a few months a year until their car warms up enough to take their gloves off (or heaven forbid they could take one glove off) and climate controls that you can use with gloves and actually feel when you press it. There is no way anyone at Ford thought about those controls at all because they were an obviously terrible idea.

I can work any of the buttons and the screen with gloves on - some pretty heavy ones too. What buttons are you saying don't work with gloves?

I can work any of the buttons and the screen with gloves on - some pretty heavy ones too. What buttons are you saying don't work with gloves?

The controls below the touch screen (down by the big volume control) are capacitive switches so you need to have direct contact with them to make them work.

I think it goes back to lack of unified design focus by the engineering teams. Why have three different technologies present for your controls - resistive on the touch screen, capacitive on the lower controls, mechanical switches on the volume and audio control.

The controls below the touch screen (down by the big volume control) are capacitive switches so you need to have direct contact with them to make them work.

I think it goes back to lack of unified design focus by the engineering teams. Why have three different technologies present for your controls - resistive on the touch screen, capacitive on the lower controls, mechanical switches on the volume and audio control.

Think of those as redundancies

edit: grammar

Edited by cal3thousand

But I can still make them work with gloves on.

I'll be going to the Pittsburgh Auto Show this weekend. Maybe I can ask some Ford people about it, or just ask my Uncle since he works for Ford.

I just got my 2011 Edge Sport back from its 10,000 mile checkup, and my service guy told me that Ford would start sending out the upgrade sticks in mid-March. The way he was talking it sounded like they would be sent out in phases. Possibly based on vehicle type.

When I bought my Edge last January, I had a lot of the problems others have had. Mine was so bad that when the system booted, my splash screen was the Lincoln logo! So after about two months, I took it in and told them I wanted them to completely wipe the system and install from scratch. About six hours after I dropped it off, I got a call and they said that once they wiped the system, that they couldn't get any of the software to install. My service guy mentioned that there was a bad lot of sync modules that got deployed. So they ordered me a new one, got my Edge back two days later... Viola!!! I have not had one crash, reboot or lockup. My Droid 3 sync's up immediately and downloads my text messages.

Not sure if those of you having issues have had your Sync module replaced yet, but if you haven't... I would recommend insisting on getting a new one.

Bryce

Oh man this rewrite can't come soon enough. Had another complete lock up today and again the USB reboot app they gave me isn't functional. I know it would be bad PR if they released it to everyone if it were buggy but right now I would take it in a heart beat. Anything has to be better than what we have. Just can't figure out for the life of me how some of us can have systems that are so unstable yet other seem OK.

so now when they say it includes map updates, does that mean they write to the sd card that comes with the navigation when you do the update or they are giving a new sd card?

From what I have read they will send out a USB flash drive to update the MFT and an new SD nav card to replace the old one.

I had an oppertunity to see the new system on a ford reps 2013 taurus sho today. The system was very snappy and the screens were clean looking. In talking

to him he has been using it for 2 monthsand has not had any sytem freezes , hangs or any reboots. according to him the system is very stable. From what i saw

and what he said all looks very promosing. He did not have the new navigation card and this was on the car when he picked it up so he does not know how

long it will take to do the self install. He also did not have a firm date as to when it would be available to us.

Edited by ladybird4
  • Like 1

Question I have the turn by turn navigation through services on my MFT. I didn't get a SD card when I got my car. With the USB stick and SD card with a new map that will be available whenever, do you think i'll be able to see an actual map on my screen now or will it be the same way but just the new user interface?

Question I have the turn by turn navigation through services on my MFT. I didn't get a SD card when I got my car. With the USB stick and SD card with a new map that will be available whenever, do you think i'll be able to see an actual map on my screen now or will it be the same way but just the new user interface?

Same. If you don't have nav now then you won't have it later.