Major Upgrade (Rewrite) Details

Ford hasn't done anything for me.

How do I get the free oil changes and rotations?

Yeah, same here. The only thing I've received is the pleasure of wasting half a dozen trips to the dealership and having to deal with service writers who treat me like I'm an idiot because they don't have a clue on how software works, how it's updated, and how it could possibly not work after I received an update. "What do you mean you are still having the same problems? You received the latest update!" :censored:

Its great to hear that Ford has stepped up with free oil changes/rotations. It may be that this was a result of the squeaky wheel getting the grease. I frankly haven't had time to chase down Ford corporate types to rail at them. I know others have done so. I am certain from talking to other Edge owners in my area that their experiences mirror mine and have not received any "goodies" from Ford in the form of free stuff.

akirby: I acknowledge Ford is scrambling to fix things. As they should. I and many others have simply expressed their disbelief that this software was released in the first place when it was so patently bugged. They have released many updates and have not done a good job in communicating with their owners about them. I'm not the only person who found most of the information here, not on syncmyride.com and certainly not at my dealership. I'm having the same bugs with 2.11 as I had with 1.8 and before.

I do think you are making an assumption that the underlying software is being rewritten. I'm not certain that is true but hope it turns out to be the case. The focus of the releases deals with reskins of the interface. They don't really address the underlying problems - again likely due to PR/lawsuit concerns.

And I continue to point out - not everyone who uses MFT is unhappy and yet, people continue to try to lump everyone in the unhappy category.

I'm sure there are some happy users, no doubt, but according to an industry wide study they are few and far between!

Factory sat-navs continue to frustrate motorists: study

http://www.caradvice.com.au/148308/factory-sat-navs-continue-to-frustrate-motorists-study/

BTW: You need to click on the graphic and scroll to the bottom of the barrel to find how the Edge's Nav system rated.

Edited by JeffIsHereToo

Hope this isn't old news.

So I got an e-mail from Ford (maybe everyone will get it, I dunno) detailing what I assume has been the rumored "rewrite."

It implies that we (2011-2012) owners will get a USB drive in the mail with the update in the spring. Along with the speed and ease-of-use improvements, it looks like the much requested map update will occur as well!

Details are attached

MyFord_Touch_Performance_Upgrade_2011-11-071.pdf

BTW: Even though I am the first owner, and have registered on the web site, had it in the shop 4 times for a total of 3 weeks, for MFT issues, etc., I have yet to get this email.

:angry:

Edited by JeffIsHereToo

I do think you are making an assumption that the underlying software is being rewritten.

It's not an assumption - it's been reported by multiple inside sources including one to me personally that Microsoft was being brought in to rewrite the software.

It's all moot speculation until we see the new product.

Well despite what Akirby would like to say I don't think there are many people that have fully functional MFT's. Sure a couple can post here but if you think about it makes no sense for Ford to go through the expense of several revisions and a complete rewrite for just a few people. Also, nearly every car review you read with an MFT will mention some sort of malfunction. So this IS a widespread issue.

While I don't disagree that the MFT versions of nav should be rated that low I do think that list raises a few questions. Several of the models listed I thought used the same interface and data but were spread through the list. Makes me think that maybe other things are affecting the ratings. For instance Audi's with MMI range from 696 to 754 but I think the systems are identical now (except maybe the A8 which I think has Google Earth).

It's all moot speculation until we see the new product.

It may be moot to you since you don't own a vehicle with MFT, however I like to educate myself as much as possible about my vehicle and learn about how things actually work. To me, part of that means coming here and being able to read about other people's experiences and opinions in addition to posting mine. I find your constant pooh-poohing of every post that criticizes MFT to be quite annoying.

• Like 2

It may be moot to you since you don't own a vehicle with MFT, however I like to educate myself as much as possible about my vehicle and learn about how things actually work. To me, part of that means coming here and being able to read about other people's experiences and opinions in addition to posting mine. I find your constant pooh-poohing of every post that criticizes MFT to be quite annoying.

oh my! be careful what you say! you may get a "time out"!

:D

• Like 1

And everyone else finds all of the speculation and hand wringing about something that hasn't even been released yet to be annoying.

All I'm asking is to wait and see how the new version performs before complaining about it. Sharing information is fine but you don't have to make wild assumptions and complain constantly.

And everyone else finds all of the speculation and hand wringing about something that hasn't even been released yet to be annoying.

All I'm asking is to wait and see how the new version performs before complaining about it. Sharing information is fine but you don't have to make wild assumptions and complain constantly.

Actually, as far as I can tell from the responses on the forum, you're about the only one that finds it annoying.

The majority of us would like to discuss our opinions on Ford's response (or lack of) to this fiasco, and that's what we're doing.

• Like 2

First of all if someone isn't interested in what is being posted they don't have to comment. The fact that many people are posting and veiwing this thread seem to indicate people are interested in what Ford is releasing. Second I haven't seen anyone complaining about what Ford has done with the new release short of not telling customers about it. All of this could be put to bed if Ford would actually make a press release that addressed what they did to fix the software. Now all we have to go on is what we can find online from people that saw the system either at Ford or at the LA Auto Show. Unfortunately while the sources do agree that the system visually is less cluttered and seems to react much better some other details don't align. Again I don't see why you seem to have such an issue with people posting up articles they find and mentioning details that don't add up or discussing these articles.

• Like 1

FACEBOOK

I have a new appreciation for the Ford Edge site on Facebook.

No (next to none) Ads and a moderator that does not get personally involved

UPDATE:

Remind me why I am posting here?

Is it to read all the ads?

Is it to be censored?

This forum is a joke.

Thanks "Moderator"

Edited by wilsons66604
  • Like 1

Its cool and all you have an inside source at Microsoft that told you personally the entire system is being rewritten. I shouldn't have to hear fourth hand from an anonymous source on the internet about this re release to fix the Sync system.

We are on this forum complaining because there is no where else for folks in our predicament to exchange information and vent about the fact we spent anywhere from 30-45k on a car who's information/entertainment systems were built atop a defective platform. I'm sure our local dealerships appreciate us venting with each other rather on them.

What I find boggling is that you are a forum moderator who is upset folks are using this forum to communicate about a topic of common interest. That's really bizarre. What's downright insane is you own a 2008 Edge so didn't fork over 40k for this product nor are you living with this software daily so why are you jumping on all of us for being upset/pissed?

Edited by SonomaDriver
  • Like 1

I have to agree with all the posts above. The only one constantly complaining is akirby. I say do your moderating by making sure the members don't attack each other in stupid ways, watch the language if it gets strong, but geez don't forget were all adults here. And as for the rest of it? If it doesn't apply to you and your 2008 Edge, who cares? Let the thread go where it wants to go. Akirby, in some ways You remind me of the worst of apples fanboys. If you say something anti-apple they turn on you immediately, doesn't even matter if you're complaining about your own apple product even. Sorry I just think you need to back off a little, let the conversations go where they want to go and not take things so personally.

I hope that didn't come out sounding mean... It's not supposed to, but with posts and emails and txt messages I know sometimes written words don't translate well. Anyway, I didn't write this post in an angry tone, so I hope it doesn't come across that way.

Edited by Edgieguy
  • Like 4

Ok - you want a sandbox where you can bitch and gripe with each other? Do it here and I'll stay out of it.

I'll start another thread for the people who just want reliable information without having to listen to all of the crap.

LoL ok. Feel free to leave this thread to the rabble rousers....

Also bolded the ironic part...

• Like 1

I haven't deleted or edited any posts.

I won't let this turn into a personal bitchfest. If that's all you want to do then go to Facebook or start your own forum.

Feel free to share and discuss any factual information about the rewrite that all Edge owners might be interested in.

I would certainly hope that you wouldn't delete or edit any posts that are well within the standards of the forum. You are more than welcome to share your own opinion any particular subject, but I don't think it's right that you push your role as moderator in order to support your own point of view.

• Like 1

Ok - you want a sandbox where you can bitch and gripe with each other? Do it here and I'll stay out of it.

I don't get the feeling that anyone here is bitching and griping with each other. Nor do I get the feeling that anyone besides you is annoyed by our discussions of MFT. In fact, this is one of the most well behaved automotive forums I've ever been on. We're all just REALLY pissed that we spent a LOT of money on a vehicle and one of its main selling points turned out to be so poorly executed. If you can't understand that then nothing I say will help.

I'll start another thread for the people who just want reliable information without having to listen to all of the crap.

See... it's "crap" to you because you don't have to deal with MFT. To me it's absolutely not "crap" and I would like to be able to discuss it with other people who are in the same position that I'm in... hence the purpose of an internet forum. If you're not going to allow us to discuss whatever we want about our vehicles - assuming we stay within the forum rules - then please let me know and I will stop contributing here.

• Like 1

Feel free to share and discuss any factual information about the rewrite that all Edge owners might be interested in.

Per my post above...the only way we will have factual information is when Ford makes a real press release as to what was done. The problem is they haven't done this. Because of this we are left to find information (reliable or not) on the web and try to piece together what they may have done.

• Like 2

Per my post above...the only way we will have factual information is when Ford makes a real press release as to what was done. The problem is they haven't done this. Because of this we are left to find information (reliable or not) on the web and try to piece together what they may have done.

I understand your desire for knowledge but let's be serious - what company is going to release that type of information, especially before the product is even released? And I assume the reason you want to know is so you can make some determination of whether you think the problems are fixed or not. And what I've been trying to point out is that you can't make any determination of the performance of the new software based on those facts. The only way to know is to test it. So while the facts of what was done would be interesting to know, they're not relevant to the success of the rewrite.

But like I said above - feel free to vent, bitch, gripe, moan and groan about what Ford is or isn't doing and I'll stay out of it. Just keep it in this thread please.

• Like 1

I understand your desire for knowledge but let's be serious - what company is going to release that type of information, especially before the product is even released? And I assume the reason you want to know is so you can make some determination of whether you think the problems are fixed or not. And what I've been trying to point out is that you can't make any determination of the performance of the new software based on those facts. The only way to know is to test it. So while the facts of what was done would be interesting to know, they're not relevant to the success of the rewrite.

But like I said above - feel free to vent, bitch, gripe, moan and groan about what Ford is or isn't doing and I'll stay out of it. Just keep it in this thread please.

Akirby - Are you aware that there's an entire industry out there devoted to analyzing new tech products before they're released? They're called tech blogs and this is nothing more than that. Based on the little we do know, we're making educated assumptions about what may or may not be happening in the future. It's not bitching or griping about it, we're just having a (slightly more than usual) animated discussion about what might be coming down the line.

• Like 1

Akirby - Are you aware that there's an entire industry out there devoted to analyzing new tech products before they're released? They're called tech blogs and this is nothing more than that. Based on the little we do know, we're making educated assumptions about what may or may not be happening in the future. It's not bitching or griping about it, we're just having a (slightly more than usual) animated discussion about what might be coming down the line.

And the vast majority of Edge owners don't care about such things - they just want to know when and where this update will be available and what it will look like. That's why I started the other thread.

Perhaps I overreacted. There's no problem with saying it does or doesn't use Flash or who coded it or what might have changed. The problem I had was when certain individuals started drawing conclusions and griping about it which IMO was unwarranted until someone actually tried the update.

So discuss, vent, gripe - whatever makes you feel better.

• Like 1