Power Liftgate Issue

Richy

I opened the front passengeer window 1/2 way, and got good results. I stopped by the dealership today, spoke to the technician that nhas worked on my problem, and he agree's, that it's a vaccuum/pressure problem. He called Ford this past Thursday, and they told him they would get back next week, he said "lets see what they have to say". The tech, Vinny, said that this should have been resolved long ago, and if they can't give him an answer, he's going to have the service mgr at the dealership, call the "higher ups".

Joe

Joe, that's good. It doesn't sound like they're trying to blow any smoke up your ass anyway. Looking forward to seeing what the "fix" will be to this one!

Yeah, Richy, no smoke up my ass, they (Maplecrest, in Union, NJ) are really good, and the tech Vinny, is, I think, even more tired with this than I am. Will post when resolved - maybe I'll even make a new topic, like 'Liftgate problem resolved' , so others will know what was done.

Joe

Got a call today from John T at my dealer, Ford finally got back to them on the program update for the tailgate not closing on the 1st try. If I leave a door open, and close the gate, it WILL close the 1st time. Bringing it in next Tuesday, will post an update after that.

Keeping my fingers crossed on this one.

Joe

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...
Guest Riney

I’m having an issue with my wife’s 2013 Edge. When trying to open or close the power lift gate it’ll actuate the latch and attempt to raise or lower the hatch, but will only move slightly. In this case, could it be the motor’s just gone bad??

I’m having an issue with my wife’s 2013 Edge. When trying to open or close the power lift gate it’ll actuate the latch and attempt to raise or lower the hatch, but will only move slightly. In this case, could it be the motor’s just gone bad??

• 4 months later...
Guest OrangeYouGladToSeeMyEdge

Issue with my 2008 Edge Limited - lift gate (power enabled) will open and almost immediately (aggressively) close.

Power liftgate/disabled: I can manually push it to all the way open, pressing the close liftgate button inside hatch closes it fine.

What's going on? TIA

21 minutes ago, Guest OrangeYouGladToSeeMyEdge said:

Issue with my 2008 Edge Limited - lift gate (power enabled) will open and almost immediately (aggressively) close.

Power liftgate/disabled: I can manually push it to all the way open, pressing the close liftgate button inside hatch closes it fine.

What's going on? TIA

Worn out support strut?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Guest Mel wood
On 3/17/2012 at 10:36 PM, richy said:

Joe, that's good. It doesn't sound like they're trying to blow any smoke up your ass anyway. Looking forward to seeing what the "fix" will be to this one!

I have a 2014 Edge and my lift gate does this also. I disengaged and reenegaged it.  It still happens.  It will open part way or close part way then stop.  Doesn’t matter if doors open etc.

• 3 months later...
10 hours ago, Guest Lisa said:

I'm having the same issue with my 2017 Edge when the hatch closes. It doesnt latch and opens back up. Then I cant get it to close again. Have to close manually. 

Give the latching mechanism a thorough visual check.  Has something gotten caught or pushed down into the body side latch or the tailgate side?  You could pull the plastic trim piece from the body side (it just snaps out, no bolts/screws) to be certain nothing's down there and to see if the tailgate will latch without the trim in place. 

• 1 year later...
Guest freckles67

Has anyone had a problem with the liftgate closing on them while loading??

I have a 2020 Edge and the liftgate has come down on me due to the sensors they have under the car.

I have told Ford this is a hazard and a faulty design of the car. Please share if you have this same problem and what you have done as a result of it.

Thank you.

All cars have pressure relief valves (in the Edge or MKX, it's in door frames) otherwise when you slammed the door closed, you would blow out the back window (actually happens). As the liftgate closes very slowly, it's doubtful that this could be the cause (even if all the interior vents were to malfunction).

Usually its' related to either the latch or pinch strip (flat plastic strips located on the sides of the liftgate). One other very common cause (which you probably checked) is an object, such as the net or cargo mat sticking too far into the path and having the hatch detect resistance.

I have no idea as to why opening a window would help the hatch close. Run a test. Slam the drivers door closed as hard as you can. If the vents are not working, one or more windows will blow out and you have your answer. :whistling:

6 hours ago, Guest freckles67 said:

Has anyone had a problem with the liftgate closing on them while loading??

<snip> and what you have done as a result of it.

Thank you.

Yes, it's pretty well documented in this forum and assorted Edge groups.  Try doing a search for "liftgate close" and see what pops up.

The liftgate closing unexpectedly is usually caused by the owner/operator placing their feet under the bumper while loading or unloading then moving a foot toward the rear.  This is the exact motion that triggers the sensor (as opposed to side to side movement).   Two possible fixes.   1. Open your liftgate and pretend you're loading/unloading groceries.  Note where your feet are.  If the toes are under the bumper move back and be conscious of where to stand the next few times.  Try standing to the right or left of center. Eventually it'll be automatic (muscle memory)
2. Unplug the sensor.  I don't know exactly where the plug is in the '20 but for earlier models it's on the right side and slightly in 'front' of the bumper.  You might be able to see/reach it without disassembling anything but it's easier if you remove the panel under the rear bumper.  If I remember correctly, someone posted a photo of the plug in this forum a year or so ago.
3. A third way requires the use of Forscan.  You'll find that 'how-to' on my Edge tips page here: https://www.gadgetjq.net/edge/forscan/forscan.html#lgate

Edited by Gadgetjq