My Ford Touch New Software Release

Haven't seen anyone else post this yet... I received a mailer from Ford today:

"Coming soon: MyFord Touch software upgrade.

We believe that MyFord Touch technology helps make your driving experience more rewarding. And we are continually researching and testing new ways to make it even better. With that in mind, a USB drive with the no-charge software upgrade will be sent to you soon. This software upgrade will feature simplified menus, larger type and icons, and a crisper and cleaner look. You can easily install it yourself or visit your local Ford Store and they will do it for you. Plus, no vehicle modification will be required."

So I guess that puts to bed the notion that Canadians won't be receiving the USB stick upgrade. No mention of navigation SD cards, but I'm sure that will be sent as well.

Can't wait for the upgrade!

Today I called my dealer (Montreal). He had received dealership communication that basically said the same thing as what us Canadian owners have received in the mail. When I talked to Ford Canada and after some digging on their part, it was confirmed to me that I would in fact receive the navigation SD card as well as the USB stick. They will send me written confirmation of this.

Funny part: when calling Ford Canada, I selected "Mytouch" and was directed towards US Mytouch/Sync support. The guy there had no clue that many media in the States had publicized Ford Corporate's announcement that both USB and SD would be sent out; needless to say that he had not been informed by his own employer. I suggested that Ford North America wide, and yes that includes Canada, align with one story.

Today I called my dealer (Montreal). He had received dealership communication that basically said the same thing as what us Canadian owners have received in the mail. When I talked to Ford Canada and after some digging on their part, it was confirmed to me that I would in fact receive the navigation SD card as well as the USB stick. They will send me written confirmation of this.

Funny part: when calling Ford Canada, I selected "Mytouch" and was directed towards US Mytouch/Sync support. The guy there had no clue that many media in the States had publicized Ford Corporate's announcement that both USB and SD would be sent out; needless to say that he had not been informed by his own employer. I suggested that Ford North America wide, and yes that includes Canada, align with one story.

Thats good news, I hope they hurry up and get the software out. I've had my car since Oct 2010 with some minor issues, however for the most part it's been working ok, but I look foward to updated maps and performance improvements.

M.

Thats good news, I hope they hurry up and get the software out. I've had my car since Oct 2010 with some minor issues, however for the most part it's been working ok, but I look foward to updated maps and performance improvements.

M.

Agreed, outdated maps have been my biggest beef. Been one of the lucky ones otherwise. I gave the Nav. System a good test last month with a 15,000km trip and spent lots of time off road. But the car and all other systems worked great and actually got good mileage. But I find it hard to gloat when quite a few forum users are having significant problems.

Agreed, outdated maps have been my biggest beef. Been one of the lucky ones otherwise. I gave the Nav. System a good test last month with a 15,000km trip and spent lots of time off road. But the car and all other systems worked great and actually got good mileage. But I find it hard to gloat when quite a few forum users are having significant problems.

I guess I count myself lucky too not a single issue that I would waste my breath about!

• Like 1

Got THE confirmation email yesterday: "... When the performance upgrade is released this first quarter of 2012, all existing customers with a MyFord Touch system in their vehicle will receive it. This will also include the updated Navigation SDcard..."

There is an article about the upgrade in USA Today about the software update. The article states the update is about 2 months away for current MyFord Touch owners.

That sounds like just a regurgitation of the official "1st quarter" date that's been floating around for some time now. I don't think this is new info or confirmation that it definitely won't arrive for 2 more months.

I do believe they'll delay it this time rather than release it with any known bugs and if that takes an extra 2 months then that's what they'll do.

I do believe they'll delay it this time rather than release it with any known bugs and if that takes an extra 2 months then that's what they'll do.

Well, there are 3 possible outcomes -

1. the 2013's are released on schedule with the fully functional, new and improved MFT re-write
  2. the 2013's are released on schedule with the current version of MFT (2.11)
  3. the 2013's scheduled release is postponed in order to accommodate a delay in the release of the re-write to accommodate some last minute bug fixes.

What do you honestly think will happen.

Well, there are 3 possible outcomes -

1. the 2013's are released on schedule with the fully functional, new and improved MFT re-write
  2. the 2013's are released on schedule with the current version of MFT (2.11)
  3. the 2013's scheduled release is postponed in order to accommodate a delay in the release of the re-write to accommodate some last minute bug fixes.

What do you honestly think will happen.

It was said the 13's will have the updated version. I doubt that will change. I also feel confident by April 15th we will be enjoying the new version

It was said the 13's will have the updated version. I doubt that will change. I also feel confident by April 15th we will be enjoying the new version

I would agree that they're not likely to delay the production schedule of the 2013's which means that if they stick to their announcement that the 2013's will have the new software, then they are going to push the first release of the re-write out the door in whatever shape it's in - known bugs and all. Hopefully in that case, they'll follow it up with a series of quick releases targeted at resolving those bugs, as well as consistent communication to the affected users about what's happening.

If they hadn't announced that it would be out with the 2013's then I would agree that they would do everything in their power to delay the release until it was right but now they're stuck. Which puts them in a position where they're likely to repeat the same mistakes they made before.

Having a bug free, fully tested, re-write by April 15th would be nice, but based on how they've handled the whole issue up until now, I'm not so sure.

I would agree that they're not likely to delay the production schedule of the 2013's which means that if they stick to their announcement that the 2013's will have the new software, then they are going to push the first release of the re-write out the door in whatever shape it's in - known bugs and all. Hopefully in that case, they'll follow it up with a series of quick releases targeted at resolving those bugs, as well as consistent communication to the affected users about what's happening.

If they hadn't announced that it would be out with the 2013's then I would agree that they would do everything in their power to delay the release until it was right but now they're stuck. Which puts them in a position where they're likely to repeat the same mistakes they made before.

Having a bug free, fully tested, re-write by April 15th would be nice, but based on how they've handled the whole issue up until now, I'm not so sure.

I agree they'll release the new version with the 2013 models. However, I believe that version will be better and more stable than the current 2.11 version. So that's not necessarily a bad thing and nothing like the disaster with the 2011 models.

I also think they'll take extra time to get more bugs worked out before releasing the upgrade to existing customers.

I agree they'll release the new version with the 2013 models. However, I believe that version will be better and more stable than the current 2.11 version. So that's not necessarily a bad thing and nothing like the disaster with the 2011 models.

I also think they'll take extra time to get more bugs worked out before releasing the upgrade to existing customers.

Well one thing's for certain, one way or the other, we'll get to see what happens in a couple of months.

13's have the upgraded MFT/MLT installed

a couple of Dearborn reps were here in an escape and a Taurus. The new update is very nice. as for the release of the update, word behind the scenes remains the same as it has been. 1Q 2012.

as soon as we get our hands on the first update i'll post up and let you guys know.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

After talking with my Uncle who works for Ford and has the beta software, he said it really is no better off. He said although it looks better, it is just as bad function which is why they haven't released it yet. He said he can send me the file but not sure since I have navigation if it will work without the latest SD card (he is using that in his Explorer). Does anyone know if it will work correctly without the latest SD maps?

After talking with my Uncle who works for Ford and has the beta software, he said it really is no better off. He said although it looks better, it is just as bad function which is why they haven't released it yet. He said he can send me the file but not sure since I have navigation if it will work without the latest SD card (he is using that in his Explorer). Does anyone know if it will work correctly without the latest SD maps?

God help us if this is true. I am barely holding on here hoping this update will fix the issues...or at least most of them.

God help us if this is true. I am barely holding on here hoping this update will fix the issues...or at least most of them.

If that is true then this would be a monumental failure given the amount of time they've had to do the rewrite. It would also affect the 2013 vehicles moving to MFT and MLT.

I'm still wondering if there isn't some hardware issue at work here because I've also heard reports from beta testers saying it was great.

If that is true then this would be a monumental failure given the amount of time they've had to do the rewrite. It would also affect the 2013 vehicles moving to MFT and MLT.

I'm still wondering if there isn't some hardware issue at work here because I've also heard reports from beta testers saying it was great.

Below is the comments I had from Ford on Sunday;

I think we've all suffered enough, don't you?

We're currently working on an upgrade for the MyFord Touch system. This will be mailed to you this spring. It will come on a preloaded USB thumb drive. For more information, check out:

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=35502

it won't work

Wanna get that file and share it so the rest of us can "test" it? ;)

it won't work

yeah that's what I thought. I think he was going to see if he could copy the SD card for me as well. I know they are write protected but they just have the switch on the side so we'll see. If not I'll just wait and enjoy pulling the fuse out anytime I have issues, yesterday was the first time in my week of ownership.

I think there has to be...it is the only way to explain the wide range of peoples opinions of the system. With what we are experiencing there is no way anyone else could think it is even remotely acceptable. So while software may free up a few cycles to make things run faster and smoother I don't think they changed it to address varying hardware base. I don't know enough about the hardware and software to be sure but it almost seems like issues I have had using a driver that wasn't quite right for the hardware. Many times it would be OK, sometimes it craps out predictably others random. For the last several weeks we haven't had phones or USB devices connected and we still get crashes. This is with a fresh install and new APIM...so I have to believe there is some hardware incompatibility on the Ford side.

yeah that's what I thought. I think he was going to see if he could copy the SD card for me as well. I know they are write protected but they just have the switch on the side so we'll see. If not I'll just wait and enjoy pulling the fuse out anytime I have issues, yesterday was the first time in my week of ownership.

it goes a little bit deeper than just the write protection. The software has DRM (digital rights management) software embedded as well as the OS will have to be updated with the new interface overlay.

the files on the SD card are only nav files. The consumers will have to have the flash drive which has all the structure files for the update as well as all the GUI parameters.