SPARKPLUG REPLACEMENT JOB INFO WITH PHOTOS

lowelanxd

just changed mine at 100k miles the factory when they came out were gapped at 130,000ths new NGK iridium IX and mpg in town is up 3mpg. the intake removal was straight forward with no guides or help but this wasnt my first time with a badly designed upper end to an engine.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I did the above and have slight feedback/vibration at 1800rpms.... any ideas of what could be causing this?

Only issue I ran into was getting my rear boots off- had to end up replacing them as they cracked/broke on the way out. Kinda a panic moment on how to get them out but ended up using a hook tool to grab them and bring them out. Easy in the end.

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I am due for the plug replacement, coolant flush and pcv replacement as well. When getting quotes for the labor (I have all the parts sitting at home), one shop recommended I change the intake manifold gasket when doing the plugs. Is this normal? I asked a service worker at the dealer and said they don't normally replace the gasket, however it is recommended. Please share your thoughts on this.

I am due for the plug replacement, coolant flush and pcv replacement as well. When getting quotes for the labor (I have all the parts sitting at home), one shop recommended I change the intake manifold gasket when doing the plugs. Is this normal? I asked a service worker at the dealer and said they don't normally replace the gasket, however it is recommended. Please share your thoughts on this.

I have almost 200k miles on the original intake gasket. You do not really need to change it but the price for the gaskets is pretty cheap so why not change them since you are in there.

Ā 

By the way I am doing a Facebook live spark plug change on a 2011 Ford Edge on MACTFORDEDGE on Facebook. This Saturday 29 April 2017 in the AM.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

I was able to replace my plugs, PCV, and manifold thanks to @macbwt's video. The Edge is a little tighter than the Explorer, had to take the throttle body off (4 bolts) to get access to the manifold bracket bolt, and get enough clearance to snake that thing out of the harness.

Also on the Edge, the wiring harness that crosses is tough--I was unsuccessful getting the plastic brackets out (I figured I would break them if I fiddled any more) so I slid the harness out. What is holding them to the bracket is electrical tape (!) slid in to the sides. If you loosen the bracket enough, you can wiggle the harness out of the holding. A well-lit look into the back side of the brackets will give away what's holding on. Thanks everyone.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Great writeup! I will be doing this next week on my 2008 Ford Edge with 115k miles on the clock and I can only assume the spark plugs are original (I bought it 3 years ago at 96k)

Ā 

Ill be swapping the intake gaskets and PCV valve too while im in there. Thanks for the 11 lb/ft torque spec it was hard to find on google.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Hello everyone. Newby here. I appreciate all of the info and am trying to tackle the spark plug change myself after my dealer told me it was a 4 hr job and would run me $528. (Local mechanic, whom I like and trust, told me it was 3 hr job and would be "at least" $400.)

Ā 

The issue I'm currently having as I try and get up to speed on the job is that none of the pics from this site will download. (I'm most interested in the PDFs in the OG post in this thread). I'm getting either an error message from the forum saying "something went wrong" and the "images aren't available" and/or a "blocked" message from my security software saying that the download contained a virus. If anyone could advise me on this, I would appreciate it.

• Like 1

Hello everyone. Newby here. I appreciate all of the info and am trying to tackle the spark plug change myself after my dealer told me it was a 4 hr job and would run me $528. (Local mechanic, whom I like and trust, told me it was 3 hr job and would be "at least" $400.)

Ā 

The issue I'm currently having as I try and get up to speed on the job is that none of the pics from this site will download. (I'm most interested in the PDFs in the OG post in this thread). I'm getting either an error message from the forum saying "something went wrong" and the "images aren't available" and/or a "blocked" message from my security software saying that the download contained a virus. If anyone could advise me on this, I would appreciate it.

Ā 

https://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/24544-since-the-forum-updateupgrade-the-recent-topics-is-not-updating/page-2?do=findComment&comment=188107

Ā 

Maybe an issue with the recent update/upgrade.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Update: I consider myself pretty handy, but after starting on the plug change and having some difficulty removing one of the hoses (and then getting confused figuring out what was what based on the instructions on here and on youtube), I got cold feet and backed off. I called a buddy who is a mechanic and he said he would come over and help me with it if I gave him some cash, so that's what we did.

Ā 

He made it look easy. He didn't even want to use the torque wrench; told me it would be pretty tough to get the plugs too loose or too tight and he had done so many of them that he could snug them by feel. Okaaaay. Took him about an hour to do the whole thing. I asked him why the shop said it would take so long, and he said that they just always over-estimate, that way if it ends up taking longer for some reason, they are covered. He said they do the same thing at his shop too.

Ā 

Anyway, I have new plugs now (Edge is running great) and I saved a couple hundred dollars without the fear of screwing up the job. Bottom line: this job isn't a cake walk, and there are things you could screw up big time if you don't know what you are doing. And the way things look under the hood may not match the instructions you find online, as I came to find out. My advice would be to know your limits and proceed with caution.

• Like 1

Prob the right move, Cincy. While the plug swap is pretty straight forward, that is the case for people that have turned a wrench or two. I work on all my own vehicles and thought the Edge was more time consuming, but not complex considering you need to remove the plastic intake. I like the rubber gaskets Ford chose and ease of reaching the bolts. Definitely more involved than most plug swaps though and glad you had a friend help to save some cash.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...