2012 FORD EDGE SPORT - SINGLE EXHAUST

RAINMANTOO

yeah it said true dual exhaust

and it still says it on their site

True Dual exhaust with chrome oval rolled-edge tips with two catalytic converters (Increased separated length tuned exhaust for low-end torque enhancement)

http://www.ford.com/crossovers/edge/specifications/engine/

I got this

Quasi-Dual exhaust with polished round beveled-edge rolled tips and two catalytic converters

I have a 2012 SPORT & it has true dual just like the 2011's:

photo1gds.jpg

Perhaps there was a mid-year revision?

I took delivery of mine in September 2011

Hi, my sport is AWD and does yours have AWD. I wonder if that has any thing to do with it. When I check with ford for a new exhaust system they said that what I had was it. I think they changed and possible all Edges have the same single muffler.

Hi, my sport is AWD and does yours have AWD. I wonder if that has any thing to do with it. When I check with ford for a new exhaust system they said that what I had was it. I think they changed and possible all Edges have the same single muffler.

Looking closer it appears that yours is AWD so that shoots that thought about AWD and FWD being different.

Anyone know a Ford dealer that sells wholesale online and ships? I really think that Ford has pulled a fast one. If I can buy it right, I will just change it out myself, looks like a two hour job including a couple of beers to assist in the bonding with the new exhaust.

i dont' think i'd waste the money to change it out myself. now if ford came forward and says hey yeah we made the change and explains it, that's a different story. i'm going to wait and see if they reply to my email.

I agree, I would like to here if they respond to your email. Someone else in this forum had converted their exhaust to different mufflers by a muffler shop. They took some pictures and one was of the exhaust pipes cut at the Y. They were not happy with the sound and were going to purchase a new exhaust system and put it on. They even did some tests to see if the Sport was faster with the real duals and I believe that it was the same with no difference. Now I cannot find that posting anywhere. I would love to hear from that person. All I know is that I went for the Sport for three reasons, interior, wheels and the engine with real dual exhaust. Remember a few weeks ago when a woman took Honda to small claims court about the gas milage and won. If Ford has it in writing about the engine having real dual exhaust and then just blows it off and hope no ones looks to see what they really have, they deserve to get their knuckles rapped. I will wait and see if they respond to your email and thanks for taking the time to help me with this mystery.

I just bought a 2012 Ford Edge Sport AWD on Saturday and upon inspection yesterday, mine has the single muffler with dual tips. I think the manufacture date for mine is November 2011. I, too, remember seeing it listed as a true dual exhaust on their website prior to the 2013 update (which the 2013 info still shows true dual). I was also getting my information from the PDF posted on their media site (PDF here).

One of my coworkers who owns a 350z mentioned his car was the same way, even though it was considered a true dual exhaust. The stock setup on the 350z was two pipes, two cats on each side (I think one in the header and one post header), with a mid-pipe and crossover that met into a single muffler that had dual tips in the back.

Despite all this, looking at how the rest of the exhaust system is setup, it is still pretty close to a true dual. If it wasn't, then instead of have two exhaust pipes going all the way back to the muffler, we would instead be seeing a single pipe going to the muffler with two tail pipes and the two headers collecting together via a y-pipe close to the engine (like on my Mazda 6s V6).

Still, it'll be interesting to see what Ford's response is to this and why they switched the muffler design.

Paul

And Ford's response:

My name is CeeJay and I'm from Ford's Customer Relationship Center (CRC). I would like to thank you for taking the time to communicate to us why your 2012 Ford Edge Sport did not meet your expectations.

I'm sorry to hear about your dissatisfaction with how the muffler on your vehicle is designed. I understand that this is not what you have expected after seeing the product when it was advertised.

Over the years, vehicle models and options are added, deleted or modified. Decisions to make these changes take into account factors such as market trends, customer demands, engineering advances, and dealership input.

The CRC is unaware in advance of changes that our Engineering and Design Team may be making and the specific reasons that the changes may be made in the future. However, feedback from valued customers like you enable us to know what our customer needs are.

I encourage you to visit the Ford Social website shown below, to voice your opinions and to submit your feedback:

Online:

http://social.ford.com

Ford Motor Company will use this information to improve our products and to enhance the loyalty of our customers. Rest assured that our Engineering and Design personnel are constantly working on ideas in improving our vehicles to address the customer’s changing needs. Updated information on our future products are available through our website and media releases.

Thank you for contacting Ford Motor Company.

And Ford's response:

A round of thanks to C_Bova for going directly to the source and asking the question. I am not surprised by the responce but would like to know if this exhaust setup is as efficient as the previous. Hey I am an engineer and things like 305 HP then and now it is ? make me just a little crazy. Thanks everyone for your input and you guys with the real thing just keep smiling. I still like my Edge Sport and will continue to enjoy it.

Ray