Pirelli wheels bead leak issue

Kamikaze

I have a 2009 Ford Edge Sport with 22" Pirelli wheels that I bought brand new in July 2009. Around mid November last year the "low tire pressure" light came on. After checking the tires, the air was low on the driver side rear tire. I didn't think too much of it, so I put air in the tire and went on my way. About a month later, the "low tire pressure" light came on again, so I took my car to Les Schwab to have them check for leaks. They told me it was a bead leak on the driver side rear tire, so they cleaned the wheel and sent me on my way. Another month later it happens AGAIN, so this time I take it to Ford since my car is still under factory warranty. They do the exact same thing and tell me I shouldn't have the problem again. Well now it's been a few weeks since I was there and I had to take it in again. What's funny is that this time they told me it's the driver side FRONT wheel.

After reading the forums and other sites about these wheels, it seems to be a common issue. I'm just not sure what to say next time I take it in. I'm worried they'll try to push me past the factory warranty date with their temporary fix so I'll have to pay for a new set of wheels. lol

Having same problem on my 2011 sport with the Pirelli's. Front driver tire has a slow leak - takes 3-4 weeks to go from about 38 to 26 or so to trip the low pressure light. I haven't brought it in yet, but only have 15K miles on these tires so i'm a little concerned i'll have to pony up for some new tires at 250/each.

Shame the reseating didn't work for you - i'll have to take mine in and see what they can do if anything. Wonder if anyone else has had success with fixing the issue...

Having same problem on my 2011 sport with the Pirelli's. Front driver tire has a slow leak - takes 3-4 weeks to go from about 38 to 26 or so to trip the low pressure light. I haven't brought it in yet, but only have 15K miles on these tires so i'm a little concerned i'll have to pony up for some new tires at 250/each.

Shame the reseating didn't work for you - i'll have to take mine in and see what they can do if anything. Wonder if anyone else has had success with fixing the issue...

I made a post in another topic about 22s and leaks. In canada Ford has a TSB out to replace any 22" wheels that are leaking, the leaks are due to corrosion around the beads. I had all four wheels replaced by Ford Canada. I can't see why the U.S wouldn't have a similar TSB or I would at least bring it to thier attention about Canadas woes.

I made a post in another topic about 22s and leaks. In canada Ford has a TSB out to replace any 22" wheels that are leaking, the leaks are due to corrosion around the beads. I had all four wheels replaced by Ford Canada. I can't see why the U.S wouldn't have a similar TSB or I would at least bring it to thier attention about Canadas woes.

whoa!!! putting the cart before the horse. Yes there is a TSB for the bead seat leak issue, and yes it can LEAD to having the affected rim replaced, BUT they have to break that rim down, clean the bead seat area on the rim and tire, then retest. if they cant get it seal they will go through the new prior approval process to get that rim replaced.

here's the TSB attached

tsb11-05-16.pdf

whoa!!! putting the cart before the horse. Yes there is a TSB for the bead seat leak issue, and yes it can LEAD to having the affected rim replaced, BUT they have to break that rim down, clean the bead seat area on the rim and tire, then retest. if they cant get it seal they will go through the new prior approval process to get that rim replaced.

here's the TSB attached

Thank you for attaching the TSB. I will talk to them about it next time this happens, which I'm sure it will soon. They've already taken the wheels off and cleaned the bead seat area twice, so technically the next step would be a replacement. *Technically* :)

Thank you for attaching the TSB. I will talk to them about it next time this happens, which I'm sure it will soon. They've already taken the wheels off and cleaned the bead seat area twice, so technically the next step would be a replacement. *Technically* :)

with yours being an 09, if you have more than 36,000 miles on or your warranty start date is prior to today of 09 you're gonna be out of warranty. wheels only fall under the 3/36 bumper to bumper. Unless you bought an ESP service contract.

if you're out of warranty what you'll need to do is #1 maintain an even temper and tone dealing with your service manager. (more flies with honey than vinegar). #2 let him/her know your situation and that this is the 3rd attempt to rectify the situation without having to replace the rim. #3 let them know that you understand they didn't build it or cause the problem and that they are trying to fix it, but its an inconvenience to you and that you didn't pay for a defective vehicle, so you're going to call Ford Customer Assistance for advice on how to get the issue resolved once and for all.

you follow my advice and i can assure you that you will get the issue resolved

with yours being an 09, if you have more than 36,000 miles on or your warranty start date is prior to today of 09 you're gonna be out of warranty. wheels only fall under the 3/36 bumper to bumper. Unless you bought an ESP service contract.

if you're out of warranty what you'll need to do is #1 maintain an even temper and tone dealing with your service manager. (more flies with honey than vinegar). #2 let him/her know your situation and that this is the 3rd attempt to rectify the situation without having to replace the rim. #3 let them know that you understand they didn't build it or cause the problem and that they are trying to fix it, but its an inconvenience to you and that you didn't pay for a defective vehicle, so you're going to call Ford Customer Assistance for advice on how to get the issue resolved once and for all.

you follow my advice and i can assure you that you will get the issue resolved

There are only 20k miles on it, so it's still under factory warranty thankfully. Thank you for the advice. :)

here's the TSB attached

Great info! I'll bring it in to the dealer when the air runs down. At least it's a known problem and even if that's not the direct cause at least they should be able to check it out under warranty.

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

It might be a leak, however it could also be the set pressure for the tpms. As an example say your tires are at 35 psi set in a warm garage. You then go out in the cold say a 40 degree drop in temperature, then it gets colder, this reduction in temperature could have set off the tpms alarm.

On average the tpms sensor will not trigger unless you drop air pressure by 25%. So a Ford edge unless with 22" wheels calls for 35 psi, but if they were for some reason set for 40 psi, then here is a scenario.

At a tpms setting of 40 psi they should not trigger until 30 psi. Now your shop sets your tire pressure to 35 psi in a warm 70 degree garage and you drive outside in the cold where you loose 4-5 psi, because the initial set up for the tpms was at 40 psi and the shop set the tires in a warm garage for 35 , you then lost 2 psi for being set while the tires were warm and 3-4 psi for outside cold temperature thus triggering the low tpms sensor.

Personally I always set my tires when they are cold or add 2 psi for warm tires which will loose air when cooled down. I also always attempt to set the wire pressure when the car has been outside for at least 3-4 hours, as my garage rarely drops below 68 degrees.

Just fuel for thought but really more then likely unless you keep adding air it's probably a leak somewhere such as tire bead, rusty or rusting rim, or leaking valve or seal.

After reading the forums and other sites about these wheels, it seems to be a common issue. I'm just not sure what to say next time I take it in. I'm worried they'll try to push me past the factory warranty date with their temporary fix so I'll have to pay for a new set of wheels. lol

I say this with confidence because it has always been the case with my past three Fords that I have owned. Vehicles that I took in for REPAIRS during my WARRANTY that weren't fixed, were always worked on and fixed for free even after my warranty expired. The Dealer and You have the paperwork documented and Its not your fault that the dealer is incompetent and doesn't want to waste the money on you even though you have spent thousands and thousands of dollars with them on Vehicles. I have found that sometimes you truly have to get nasty to get things done.. You can only be nice for so long!

• 2 weeks later...

There apparently is a TSB for the US on this as well. We had the same problem with one wheel and Ford is replacing the wheel at no charge. There was no offer to replace all the wheels but our Ford service rep. initiated the process for us without having to fight them at all on it. If your dealer is giving you the runaround you should insist they do their research and initiate the process of getting approval from Ford to replace your wheel if you have a persistent leak. I had one service advisor completely dismiss my claims. He either was not well informed or not concerned enough to take care of a repeat customer. If you have options in your area, it's a good idea to shop around for the dealership and service department that is going to provide the best service. I have lost confidence in the dealership nearest me and they will not be servicing any of our 3 Ford's anymore, or selling me anything new. We have plenty of Ford dealers to choose from. Good luck.

There apparently is a TSB for the US on this as well. We had the same problem with one wheel and Ford is replacing the wheel at no charge. There was no offer to replace all the wheels but our Ford service rep. initiated the process for us without having to fight them at all on it. If your dealer is giving you the runaround you should insist they do their research and initiate the process of getting approval from Ford to replace your wheel if you have a persistent leak. I had one service advisor completely dismiss my claims. He either was not well informed or not concerned enough to take care of a repeat customer. If you have options in your area, it's a good idea to shop around for the dealership and service department that is going to provide the best service. I have lost confidence in the dealership nearest me and they will not be servicing any of our 3 Ford's anymore, or selling me anything new. We have plenty of Ford dealers to choose from. Good luck.

I took a copy of the TSB in on Friday, March 30th and they did the research, took a bunch of pictures and submitted it to Ford for an approval to get 2 new wheels. I got a call on Monday, April 2nd saying the request was approved and the wheels are on order. They should be in this week. Tomorrow is Friday, so we'll see if I get a call to finally bring it in to get my wheels replaced. The service manager said there is no way Ford would replace all 4 wheels if the issue wasn't with all 4. *shrug* So I'll be getting both drivers side wheels replaced and make sure I constantly make right turns just to show them off. lol

I just printed the TSB and I'm taking it with me tomorrow. I have 3 wheels that leak. My TPS light comes on once a week. I sprayed the beads with soapy water to confirm if they were bead leaks.

My only concern is will the replacement wheels eventually start leaking?

I have a set of BBS wheels on my 7 year old Evo 8 that only need air once a year and it's never over a few PSI max.

I just printed the TSB and I'm taking it with me tomorrow. I have 3 wheels that leak. My TPS light comes on once a week. I sprayed the beads with soapy water to confirm if they were bead leaks.

My only concern is will the replacement wheels eventually start leaking?

I have a set of BBS wheels on my 7 year old Evo 8 that only need air once a year and it's never over a few PSI max.

I was told by the dealer last week that the manufacturer has made upgrades to the wheels in response to the TSB issue, so we'll see. They also said that since there is a service history regarding the wheels, if the new ones DO leak, they will fix it at no cost.

Best of luck with yours. You'd think that paying a higher price for a vehicle, you wouldn't have to deal with stuff like this. :)

I had typed up a big post for this thread before, but I think I got side tracked and didn't submit. Oh Well!!

I didn't know it was a TSB now and had asked my dealer about one tire leaking. I was told it wasn't an item covered under warranty, they were coming off for Winter so I didn't peruse it at the time, but I've just had the one tire redone at a tire shop. They put bead sealer on it this time, which is supposed to significantly aid in preventing future leaks and rim corrosion. It just looks like a black silicone/rubber type substance that was painted on the rim bead. Has anyone else used this stuff? I don't see a negative aspect to it, but I'm surprised that Ford isn't just doing this to fix the leaks. Perhaps I'm missing something. Now that I know there is a TSB, I may bring it up again. It wasn't much, but I paid out of my pocked for this fix and I shouldn't have. It may have been worth it though. If it fixes my issue, then it will save me a lot of the hassle some of you guys are having.

I guess time and/or your comments will tell if this is a good fix.

Edited by AXCL

I had typed up a big post for this thread before, but I think I got side tracked and didn't submit. Oh Well!!

I didn't know it was a TSB now and had asked my dealer about one tire leaking. I was told it wasn't an item covered under warranty, they were coming off for Winter so I didn't peruse it at the time, but I've just had the one tire redone at a tire shop. They put bead sealer on it this time, which is supposed to significantly aid in preventing future leaks and rim corrosion. It just looks like a black silicone/rubber type substance that was painted on the rim bead. Has anyone else used this stuff? I don't see a negative aspect to it, but I'm surprised that Ford isn't just doing this to fix the leaks. Perhaps I'm missing something. Now that I know there is a TSB, I may bring it up again. It wasn't much, but I paid out of my pocked for this fix and I shouldn't have. It may have been worth it though. If it fixes my issue, then it will save me a lot of the hassle some of you guys are having.

I guess time and/or your comments will tell if this is a good fix.

I was only told they "cleaned" the beads, so not sure exactly what they used to try and fix it. Not sure about your dealer but the one here sends my car to Goodyear since the dealer does not have the right equipment for those wheels. *shrug*

I have been an aircraft mechanic for over 22 years and surprisingly this problem occurs on aircraft tires occassionally. I have 2 thoughts on this problem, #1, Each model is thoroughly road-tested and evaluated for any problems. Leaking tires over a short period of time would definitely be noticed by any test driver and evaluator. It is interesting that this problem has never been mentioned in automotive review magazines or on-line evaluation sites. #2, I believe there could be a manufacturing defect or flaw with the 22" wheels. Sometimes during the forging process an edge of the wheel along the bead seat area is rough and not able to seal properly thus causing leaks. Ford obviously does not manufacture this tire and I cannot recall presently the name of the manufacturer. e350 coupe is right on about his explanation of the TPMS. I check my tire pressures once a week and hope I do not have any trouble.

A little more information regarding leaking tires. If the leaks become a systemic problem that affects safety, Ford will be forced to issue a recall on the wheels and/or tires depending on the true nature of the problem. This will lead to an exorbitant expense for Ford not to mention many, many angry customers. I believe it is in Ford's best interest to proactively address this problem now.

• 1 month later...

I've been to the dealer 3 times about this. The 3rd time, I took soapy water in a spray bottle and showed them the leaks while the vehicle was on the lift and marked them with a Sharpie marker. # of the wheels had multiple bead leaks.

The service manager said, " The only thing we can do is clean the beads, again."

Is there a corporate number I can call or something?

Check the previous page of this thread and print out the TSB about these wheels. It's on "FordGuru's" post. It helped me immensely because there is proof from Ford regarding this wheel issue. They have to follow the procedures in the TSB.

Hope this helps! :)