Pirelli wheels bead leak issue

Kamikaze

We have a 2011 Ford Edge with 22s and Pirelli tires.

I had the low tire light, put air in it and last night it went FLAT!!

We aired it up, found the leak by the rim - we take it in today to a FORD DEALERSHIP.

We get a call saying we have a big nail in the tire and they send me the pic!!

We put the spare on last night - we checked the tire for the leak and discussed how it is wearing funny.

There was NOT a nail anywhere in that tire.

We ride 4 wheelers, we know how to check for leaks, plug holes, etc.

The service guy didnt even see a nail when he looked at it - but says, guess we missed it haha

BS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now they want $342 - NO WAY!!!

That so unethical and wrong in more ways than one.

tsk tsk

post-22817-0-09441400-1338568199_thumb.jpeg

• 4 months later...

Ive brought in my Sport at least once that I remember, and was told that all four tires were unmounted, the rims cleaned, the tires wiped and remounted and I still have leaks. My neighbor joked to my wife about how often i check the tire pressure and adjust it and how I'm such a "car guy", little does she know id have severely worn tires or worse if I wasnt out there checking tire pressures every few days. I guess it'll have to go back to the dealer again. Sigh....

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have the same issue with all 4 tires on my Ford Edge Sport 2011 - i have to check and put air in my tires every week...

I raised it once when i got my oil changed when 1 tire was leaking and they said they checked it and they could not find anything...

Now i'm out of warranty...fantastic...this will be my first and last ford....

The new TSB instructions tell them to sand off the small rubber hairs that are left behind from the tire manufacturing injection process.

So today I picked up my Edge and they explained that they sanded the tires and the rims. yup, that what my work order says... sanded tire and rim! I'll keep you updated how it works.

• 2 weeks later...
I have the same issue with all 4 tires on my Ford Edge Sport 2011 - i have to check and put air in my tires every week...

I raised it once when i got my oil changed when 1 tire was leaking and they said they checked it and they could not find anything...

Now i'm out of warranty...fantastic...this will be my first and last ford....

Ford resealed all 4 tires...let's see how that goes. Btw, I still have warranty until September...my mistake

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, so I started this thread almost a year ago and since then I have taken my car to the dealer COUNTLESS times to get this issue resolved. After many attempts at them sending my car to Goodyear or Les Schwab to fix the "bead leak" and presenting the TSB for the 22's, Ford replaced both driver's side wheels. Since then I have had the SAME issue with the new driver's side front wheel. I've had to repeatedly drop my car off for at least a day to have them "fix" it, but I am still getting the same issue weekly. Aside from the dealer, I put air in it myself constantly and it's always the same wheel. I've had it checked for leaks in the tire, but the tire is fine.

I refuse to keep taking it in every week for something that is not going to be truly fixed. I live about 45 minutes away from the dealer, so this is really inconvenient aside from interrupting my work schedule constantly. So as of now, the "Low Tire Pressure" light is on once again and I'll be making another trip to put air in it until next week.

Not sure what to do at this point. Wish I could afford to get different wheels. :(

Based on your local law and when you first reported it you could lemon law the car. It Won't cost you anything to have an attorney represent you as they get paid their fees by Ford as per the law. You may wind up winning a partial refund which would pay for new wheels perhaps. I'm looking into this myself as I've been through this same as you, over and over with no solution.

Andy,

Did you go back to Ford yet with the problem ? It will be interesting to see what the heck they have to say. For the hell of it, why not "push' for new wheels and tires, tell them that you are getting very stressed over the situation. Ya know, stress can force a person to seek out a good attorney !

For anyone interested, apparently the TSB for this issue has been updated and now aside of dismounting the tires and cleaning/sanding the rims they are putting on some kind of sealant that smells like death. Time will tell if it works and moreso, when the tires are replaced how this will hold up but info none the less. I'll try to get the tsb number when I can find the paperwork.