So after trading in our 2014 Escape with 189,000 miles and a failing 6F35 transmission, we decided to go with a 2018 Edge. It has 44,000 on it with the 2.0 Ecoboost. After doing a bunch of reading about oil catch cans, I decided this thing would be worth doing as the Escape had developed a rough idle in its later miles and I always wondered why. Now I have a better idea why that was probably the case.
I started this journey after pulling the lower inlet pipe off to do a drain and fill on the PTU. Noticing a bit of oil inside, I started reading up on oil catch cans and their benefits, especially for turbocharged engines. Today, with my el-cheapo catch can in hand, I tore off the intake manifold to find these lovely valves.
Yucky, and the photos don't really do it justice. And this is only 44,000 miles. I can't imagine what it looked like on that Escape with 189k.
So I set to work. To clean the intake valves, I got some CRC Intake Valve and Turbo Cleaner. I'm not a fan of blowing it down the engine while it's running, but I figured I could use it to soak the backsides of the valves while they were closed. I was able to position the crank so I could flood the intake of cyls 1, 3, and 4 with the cleaner and got to work. While I fabri-cobbled an OCC mounting bracket, I let the valves marinade for a while and once I felt it was time to move on, I rigged a shop vac up to my vacuum brake bleeder and stuck a plastic drinking straw in the end. I was able to suck the cleaner out and took with it a whole bunch of gunk from the valves. So much so, in fact, that multiple times the straw or tubing became clogged and I had to disassemble the rig and reverse-purge the line with the air compressor. Yikes.The last little bits needed some mechanical love, so I used the end of the drinking straw (again, the plastic kind) to gently scrape and scratch the last little bits of gunk off before flushing and sucking out the cleaner a couple more times. After those holes were clean, I turned the crank over to do the same on #2. After that, I removed the hard PCV line, shoved on some 11/32 transmission line, and routed it to my OCC location on the passenger-side motor mount. Put 'er all back together and went for a test drive.
I gotta say, even just a short 15-mile drive left a gassy-oily film on the inside of the OCC. I'm interested to see what it catches long-term. Anything has to be better than gumming up the intakes like that.
Anyway, I just wanted to share the project with you guys. Highly recommended to put a can on there and do a valve cleaning while you have it opened up.The can I got was $30 on Amazon with prime shipping so I didn't break the bank, by any means.