Boat and FWD

I see another topic related but not my question. So here I go....

I have a 2011 FWD Edge with the "Class II Trailer Tow Package". When I bought it a year ago (used) I had the opportunity to get one with AWD or this one with more options but FWD for the same price. I went with options. Anyway, I've recently caught the boat bug and now thinking it was a mistake to forgo the AWD. I see from the manual I can tow up to 3500lbs.

My question is how has the FWD Edge preformed for others on the boat ramp? I'm thinking of a boat in the 17-20 foot range. Part B of the question is a jet ski should not be a problem, correct.

So.....comments, thoughts?

I forget to mention i have the 20" tires, if that matters.

Edited by WayGroovyMan

Jet skis shouldn't be any issue at all. However ... you need to find out the total weight of that boat. My dad had a 3 meter hardtop that nothing short of a full sized pickup truck with weight in the bed would work. If you're talking about a ~17' fishing boat, motor, gear and fuel, you're looking at about 2000lbs. (~1000lbs for the hull, ~350 for the trailer, motor, mehh ~300lbs, plus plus plus) There the issue can come in here is traction on the slippery ramp and how steep it is. I've watched full size 2wd trucks back in to retrieve their boat and not have the traction to pull it up .... in which case a tow strap and a 2nd card is the solution.

Big thing is before you buy the boat, get the weight and the dealer can also get you the estimated total for the rest of the gear.

Edited by Tacyon

• 7 months later...