Ford Edge Marks First Conquest Sales

Edge Guide

FORD EDGE MARKS FIRST CONQUEST SALES

By Daniel Wallace, FCN

edge07.stone.jpg

Detroit radio talk-show host Mike Stone is among the first customers to take delivery of a Ford Edge, the all new crossovers that have begun arriving at Ford dealerships across the country. Stone turned in his 2004 Cadillac CTS before picking up his Edge at Tom Holzer Ford here Thursday.

The Edge is a finalist for the North American Truck of the Year award which will be presented on opening day of the North American International Auto Show in Detroit,

"I wanted something new, something American and most important, something that was going to take on this Michigan snow," said Stone, who ordered his Edge SEL nearly three months ago.

Styling also drew Stone to the Edge. Chrome accents, contrasting-thread stitching on its leather seats and 18-inch chrome-clad or aluminum wheels are among the distinctive styling features attracting customers, according to sales associate Brian Burke of Tom Holzer Ford, who sold the vehicle to Stone. Burke says more than two dozen pre-orders have been placed for the Edge at his dealership even though there were no Edge vehicles on-site to test drive.

"I can't think of another vehicle that has generated more excitement," Burke said. "This reminds me of the 1986 Taurus, when Ford came out with something that was totally different in style. And like the Taurus, the Edge takes on different (and unique) styling."

Stone drove his new Edge straight to work and reported that both its acceleration and handling are impressive. The Edge comes with a 265-horsepower, V-6 engine, mated to a six-speed automatic transmission. The result is an ideal combination of performance and fuel efficiency.

"I like it a lot. It's got better pick up than I thought. It actually handles the road and hugs those curves pretty well," said Stone after his first drive. He added that he likes its SUV-like roominess and appreciates its car-like ride.

James Murphy of Farmington Hills, Mich., walked into the dealership's showroom to check out the Edge just as Stone was completing his paperwork. Murphy drives about 40,000 miles a year and is considering trading in his Nissan Murano, a vehicle squarely in the Edge's competitive sights. Prior to owning the Murano, Murphy drove a Lexus RX 300.

"Finally, there's an American car I like," Murphy said while peering through the tinted glass of a showroom model. "It's been a while since there was an American vehicle where I've liked everything about it. It's a good-looking car that I'm really considering."

According to Ford sales analyst George Pipas, crossovers will outsell SUVs for the first time in 2006 with 2.4 million units sold compared to 2.1 million SUVs. By 2010, crossover sales should reach about 3 million, while SUV sales slide to approximately 1.75 million, he said.

The Edge has more horsepower and torque than any other car in its class. It features a versatile center console that has enough storage space for a laptop computer and comes standard with AdvanceTrac and Roll Stability Control. The SE model has a base MSRP of $25,995.