First Week of Ownership

Osiris1975

Hey there,

So I'm one week into owning my Edge and had some observations and questions. I gotta say I love the car so far, and I'm very happy with it, even though I'm having some things serviced this friday. I've got a few questions:

1) Can I put in the stock nav unit that works with Sync into my Edge? Has anyone done so, and if so, can you DIY it?

2) I noticed some shuddering when turning the car at low speeds, like say when backing out of a parking lot? Is this normal?

3) I also noticed that power to the power connections seems to stay on even when the car is off. I plug in a portable GPS and it stays on when I leave the car. I'd prefer it'd turn off automatically, so is there a way to change this? If not, is it likely I could drain my battery by having things plugged in (phone, iPod, GPS)?

Hey there,

So I'm one week into owning my Edge and had some observations and questions. I gotta say I love the car so far, and I'm very happy with it, even though I'm having some things serviced this friday. I've got a few questions:

1) Can I put in the stock nav unit that works with Sync into my Edge? Has anyone done so, and if so, can you DIY it?

2) I noticed some shuddering when turning the car at low speeds, like say when backing out of a parking lot? Is this normal?

3) I also noticed that power to the power connections seems to stay on even when the car is off. I plug in a portable GPS and it stays on when I leave the car. I'd prefer it'd turn off automatically, so is there a way to change this? If not, is it likely I could drain my battery by having things plugged in (phone, iPod, GPS)?

For number 2, are you cranking the wheel too tight and rubbing the tires on the wheel wells?

Hey there,

To point #3, I left a cell phone cord, just the cord plugged in and it drained my battery completely in 3 days. Some say this can't happen, it was the only battery problem I've had and I learned my lesson about leaving anything plugged in. I haven't had any battery problems since.

Hey there,

Hi Osiris.

I have an '09 AWD Edge...I'm not sure if this problem exists w/ all Edges, or maybe just the AWDs. Yes, mine has this too...kind-a subtle...just at very low speeds as if I'm backing out of the garage or parking spot while turning the wheel... It's not been enough to cause me concern though... Has anyone else had this problem?

Hi Osiris.

I have an '09 AWD Edge...I'm not sure if this problem exists w/ all Edges, or maybe just the AWDs. Yes, mine has this too...kind-a subtle...just at very low speeds as if I'm backing out of the garage or parking spot while turning the wheel... It's not been enough to cause me concern though... Has anyone else had this problem?

Well I will mention it at my service appointment on Friday, have them take a look. I'll post back here on what they say.

Well I will mention it at my service appointment on Friday, have them take a look. I'll post back here on what they say.

So turns out I had the PTO seal problem too, they replaced the seal with the newly designed one. They think the shuddering/vibration while backing up and turning at slow speeds was related to low fluids caused by the PTO leak problem.

• 1 month later...

hello... I have had my 2008 edge for a week now also and I notice the power steering shudder issue.. seems like it's struggling to turn the wheels sometimes.. should I just take the car into Ford to have them look at the PTO seal? hmm.. mine is a 2008 limited awd with roof, wheel, and nav packages.. other than that I am very happy with the car..