$30 Bike Carrier (Receiver style)

Just wanted to post some info on this bike carrier I picked up yesterday.

I only wanted something to carry my bike across town a few times a year, so a Yakima or something over $200 wasn't really interesting to me. I found this on the shelves at the local cut-rate tool store, and decided to give it a try since it's only $30.

I have a class 3 hitch (2" tube) so the adapter it includes was needed. The fit wasn't very good at first, as it rocked around in the socket really bad. It was just a piece of plastic that screwed onto the 1.25" draw bar. I went back up to Harbor Freight, where I found a 2" drawbarthat has a 1.25" socket on the front for $10. I took that home and gave it a try. Results: the whole assembly moved around way too freely in the receiver hitch.

So, I drilled 2 holes in the top and 1 in the side of the $10 adapter I bought. Then I tapped the holes and put in some set screws to adjust the sway of the bike carrier. This kept the smaller assembly from swaying, but the fit into my receiver tube just wasn't that great. I've seen some posts on here about people getting a bead welded onto the drawbars to improve the fit. Rather than go to that trouble, I found some toilet leveling shims in the garage and tapped those under the bike carrier in the receiver tube. These modifications made the carrier much more sturdy and reduced the side-to-side swaying of the bike carrier. (note: don't use the plastic shims for anything heavy; the up and down motion of your trailer tongue would probably shear through them)

As far as the system actually carrying bikes, it does a pretty good job. The hitch can't be used for anything else, but if I have to tow my camper and bikes, I can just stick the bike carrier on the pop-up's bumper hitch with no trouble. I used a couple of bungee cords to pull the bike down against the mast of the rack, so I might tap some more holes in the upright and put a ring to strap it to more effectively. The mast has a quick release pin that will allow it to fold down for rear-hatch access, which is nice. The brace for the angle has a nice place to anchor a lock to so no one makes off with my bike.

Overall, I'm satisfied with the $40 investment and 20 minutes of drilling/tapping set screw holes. I wouldn't recommend this if you carry your bike often or through rough terrain, but it's pretty good for light use. If anyone is interested, I'll post pics of the way I have it set up.

Post up some pics. I would be interested to see what it looks like installed on the Edge.

Personally, I'm a little wary of stuff from Harbor Freight. Don't get me wrong, I have a bunch of hand tools I've purchased from them that are OK....They certainly are not the quality of the Mac, Snap On or even Craftsman tool that I have in my box. The tools I've purchased form them fit the "need", but they have failed on me....I'd be nervous using their stuff where safety or damage to my "stuff" is involved.

I would be concerned hanging a significant investment in bikes off the back of my vehicle on an inexpensive "Made in China" carrier.

Over the years I've been very happy with Yakima racks for hauling bikes, kayaks, etc on a varitey of cars and trucks - both on the roof and in a receiver hitch. NEVER had a single issue with probably thousands of miles of travel at highway speeds and "off the beaten path". I've been able to talk to Yakima on the phone to answer specific questions about my setup(s) - great customer support.

Not trying to be argumentative, just offering my opinion. Good luck!

Post up some pics. I would be interested to see what it looks like installed on the Edge.

Personally, I'm a little wary of stuff from Harbor Freight. Don't get me wrong, I have a bunch of hand tools I've purchased from them that are OK....They certainly are not the quality of the Mac, Snap On or even Craftsman tool that I have in my box. The tools I've purchased form them fit the "need", but they have failed on me....I'd be nervous using their stuff where safety or damage to my "stuff" is involved.

I would be concerned hanging a significant investment in bikes off the back of my vehicle on an inexpensive "Made in China" carrier.

Over the years I've been very happy with Yakima racks for hauling bikes, kayaks, etc on a varitey of cars and trucks - both on the roof and in a receiver hitch. NEVER had a single issue with probably thousands of miles of travel at highway speeds and "off the beaten path". I've been able to talk to Yakima on the phone to answer specific questions about my setup(s) - great customer support.

Not trying to be argumentative, just offering my opinion. Good luck!