Seeking opinions on the Ford Edge Maintenance Plan (Canada)

Hockey87

Ordered a 2011 Ford Edge last month and due for pick up in February (time lag designed to align with current lease expiry).

Offered a "maintenance plan" (not to be confused conceptually with an extended warranty) whereby instead of paying for various scheduled maintenance out of pocket, on demand, you pre-pay a fixed amount (in this case, $1,870 CDN plus tax) for scheduled maintenance. The cost can be added to the car loan (low interest rate).

They estimate that actual expenditures can be $3,648.95 CDN plus tax), based on $2,067.95 (+ tax) for scheduled maintenance up to 96,000 kms (of which $716.45 is for the 96K km visit) and the difference for periodic light bulbs, wipers, and brake replacements. Could cover more but this was their sample, expected projected expenses.

Savings are based on 5 yr/100 km driving.

It is a Ford deal (as opposed to a third party) so it is transferable between dealers and provinces.

My gut inclination is "no go" since I am opposed to extended warranties on principle, notwithstanding that I succumbed to a 2007 Honda Accord one for a 4th year that I completely lost on (I fell into the "Navi is expensive to repair trap", a similar argument also used here, that I never had to use).

Again, this is additional coverage beyond the warranties as this is for maintenance.

Any sharing of thoughts, opinions, or experiences would be appreciated.

Edited by Hockey87

Ordered a 2011 Ford Edge last month and due for pick up in February (time lag designed to align with current lease expiry).

Offered a maintenance plan (not to be confused conceptually with an extended warranty) whereby instead of paying for various scheduled maintenance out of pocket, on demand, can pre-pay a fixed amount (in this case, $1,870 CDN plus tax) for scheduled maintenance. The cost can be added to the car loan (low interest rate).

They estimate that actual expenditures can be as high as $3,648.95 CDN plus tax), based on $2,067.95 (+ tax) for scheduled maintenance up to 96,000 kms (of which $716.45 is for the 96K km visit) and the difference for periodic light bulbs, wipers, and brake replacements. Could cover more but this was their sample, expected expenses.

Savings are based on 5 yr/100 km driving.

It is a Ford deal (as opposed to a third party) so it is transferable between dealers and provinces.

My inclination is "no go" and I am opposed to extended warranties on principle, n otwithstanding that I succumbed to a 2007 Honda Accord one for a 4th year that I completely lost on (I fell into the "Navi is expensive to repair trap", a similar argument used here).

Again, this is additional coverage beyond the warranties as this is for maintenance.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Do most of the work yourself (oil changes, etc.) and pick and choose the other ones that you let the dealer do - when and where you want it done. A lot of the cost is for labor for inspections of various kinds. You'll almost certainly come out way cheaper that way.

OTOH if you plan to take it back to the dealer and just use their recommended service packages then it could be cheaper. But they make a lot of money off people who buy the plan and don't use it so keep that in mind.