PTU problem fixed on 09?

Sparky

Hallo everybody,

We just picked 09 LTD AWD and I was wandering if the PTU problem was fixed on the 09s. I'm little concerned about this problem from reading on this site and I would appreciate if the 09 owners would comment whether they had to deal with this or not?

Thank you,

Sparky

Hallo everybody,

We just picked 09 LTD AWD and I was wandering if the PTU problem was fixed on the 09s. I'm little concerned about this problem from reading on this site and I would appreciate if the 09 owners would comment whether they had to deal with this or not?

Thank you,

Sparky

I haven't had the problem on my '08 and from what the service tech at the dealership was telling me the main reason for the leak was the vendor of the seal had bad quality and that Ford had since changed vendors and since the change it was no problems.

• 2 months later...
That's a good news hopefully that's true.....I notice most of the problems were on 07s and some 08s.

While Mazda, in the CX-7 at least, added cooling to the PTO to combate the overheating problem it appears Ford simply relaxed the standards/specifications for F/awd functionality using firmware revisions. Reduce the "average" coupling level to the rear driveline thereby reducing the amount of driveline windup and/or tire scrubbing and the overheat issue is abated. Oh, while you're in there eliminate the driver's ability to "lock" the system in F/awd mode.

• 2 months later...

I haven't had the problem on my '08 and from what the service tech at the dealership was telling me the main reason for the leak was the vendor of the seal had bad quality and that Ford had since changed vendors and since the change it was no problems.

Not sure when this dealer is talking about but my 08 AWD Limited is back at the dealership for the 4th (and final whether fixed or not) fix.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure when this dealer is talking about but my 08 AWD Limited is back at the dealership for the 4th (and final whether fixed or not) fix.

Any luck? I know it's only been a week or so.

I haven't taken mine in yet, I started to notice it about a month ago. I really shows up on real cold days and I was hoping to get it fixed once the weather warms up a little.

• 1 month later...

Hallo everybody,

Thank you,

Sparky

Hey Sparky... Have you had any problems with the PTU since your post in Aug 2009? I just purchased an 09 Edge AWD with 19.5K and I have your same concerns.

For reference, I was told by another forum member, "2009's are not immune. However, the problems appear to be confined to colder areas. Since you're in NC you may be outside the danger zone." However, we are in a cold weather area in the NW NC moutains with cold and snow between Oct and April so I'll see how it goes.

I hope all's gone well for you and your Edge.

Hey Sparky... Have you had any problems with the PTU since your post in Aug 2009? I just purchased an 09 Edge AWD with 19.5K and I have your same concerns.

For reference, I was told by another forum member, "2009's are not immune. However, the problems appear to be confined to colder areas. Since you're in NC you may be outside the danger zone." However, we are in a cold weather area in the NW NC moutains with cold and snow between Oct and April so I'll see how it goes.

I hope all's gone well for you and your Edge.

Our 09 AWD had the PTU leak. It only happened in really cold temperatures and after driving on the highway for while and then stopping at traffic lights. Good new is Ford has a fix right now and it seems to be working. We had our done in January and since then we have no problems. I talk to the mechanic and he sad, the new seals are made of new materials which are not affected by temperature. That means there is no shrinking or expending process with temperature change.

If you find some drops on your driveway or smell burning oil just make appointment and they will fix it.