"CHECK BATTERY" LIGHT

sanche

Hello,

Not sure if this is the right section to post this but here it goes.

My limited AWD check battery light comes on and stays on when I start the car for the first time in the morning.

It happends 2 or 3 days a week. When it does, the light goes out after 2 minutes or so while driving and stays off the rest of the day.

The terminals and fuses look ok. The car starts right up every time.

It has just over 7000 miles, and I'm thinking of taking it to the dealer, but just curious if this is a sign of a weak battery? All ready??

Has anyone in the forum have this happen and get it fixed?

Thanks much

I had this problem with my Sport early on, and the MFT was staying on ( original version), woke up one morning and the battery was dead. ford sent a tow truck to jump the battery. It went immediately into service, and when it came out they said the battery is fine, couldn't find a problem.... But, after that dead battery episode, I never had a battery light come on again.

That light indicates a problem with the charging system - could be the serpentine belt or the alternator. Does not sound like the battery if it's cranking ok.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks all,

I'll check the belt. I was hoping it turns out to be something simple that I can fix it before spending time at the dealer.

The light will probably be off by the time I drop it off.

BTW, as Edgieguy said about the MFT staying on. I had the same problem (occasionally), but it went away when I installed the upgrade in March '12.

Seems like the new software is slowing down a bit since the install, but has not crashed yet.

When I drive into NYC, it really slows down when all the fast food icons pop up.

I need to hide them, but in doing so, I loose the settings and need to select them all over again.

Is there a way to unhide them w/o re-selecting?

I had this problem with my Sport early on, and the MFT was staying on ( original version), woke up one morning and the battery was dead. ford sent a tow truck to jump the battery. It went immediately into service, and when it came out they said the battery is fine, couldn't find a problem.... But, after that dead battery episode, I never had a battery light come on again.

I wonder if it got fixed when (or if) the battery was disconnected, resetting the software/electronics?

My guess would be that the belt is slipping when cold. I think if it was the alternator it would happen all the time. See if the dealer will change the belt. You may need to leave it with them overnight.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yea, for me thats the last resort. I know its under warrentee and all, but I'm afraid they might screw or damage something else and not tell you.