Anyone out looking to get rid of your factory roof side rails???

I almost had a pair for you but I decided to use the Yakima Railgrab towers and crossbars on the existing siderails. Maybe you can help me out. I like to secure the bow and stern of my kayak when it's on the rack. I have looked under the Edge for such a place. I think I can find a spot for the front, but the back has nothing. Do you secure the bow and stern? If so, how?

Thanks

I think I have just the thing for you. Seattle Sports makes these handy little straps that work great for extra lashing points. You have 2 options. There are the quick loop straps that use a section of hose on one end that you place under your hood or hatch. When you close the hood/hatch it holds the hose in place & the loop end hangs out. Then, you just hook up to the loop & your good to go. The other option replaces the hose part with a grommet that you use to mount the stap to a quarter panel or whatever. I bought mine at REI. The quick loops with the hose retail for $14.95 per pair & the hood loops are $5.95 per pair. I hope this helps.

I think I have just the thing for you. Seattle Sports makes these handy little straps that work great for extra lashing points. You have 2 options. There are the quick loop straps that use a section of hose on one end that you place under your hood or hatch. When you close the hood/hatch it holds the hose in place & the loop end hangs out. Then, you just hook up to the loop & your good to go. The other option replaces the hose part with a grommet that you use to mount the stap to a quarter panel or whatever. I bought mine at REI. The quick loops with the hose retail for $14.95 per pair & the hood loops are $5.95 per pair. I hope this helps.

You can purchase the loops with a hoselike - http://www.thule.com/en-US/US/Products/Watersports/Accessories/530-Quick-Loop-Strap You can take a strap with the hose and place in the open rear hatch leaving the loop outside the car. Next, close the hatch and tie off the stern. Yes, an OK method, but I prefer more secure tiedown points.

I returned a leased Volvo XC70 when I purchased my Edge. The Volvo's bumpers provided access points for 13 mm bolts used during shipping. Volvo provided one bolt to the customer and my salesman gave me another. Fantastic way to secure a kayak to the car. I wish all manufacturers used similar methods ro provded a hook or open spot under the bumper we could use.

• 8 months later...
  • 8 months later...