After Market or Ford Roof Rack?

Hello! Not sure if something like this had been posted...couldn't find...anyways, I need to install a roof rack. I have downsized from my Expedition, which had a factory installed rack, to a 2012 Edge SEL (no vista roof). From the different posts regarding racks, I am a bit more confused than before. We mostly used our rack before to hold stuff like duffles, suitcases, fishing pole containers, and the like - the Edge will be much the same. I understand that there is a 100lb limit, which shouldn't be an issue. So my question is, what is the best way to go? Do I understand right that there are "pre-drilled" holes under the rubber strip on the roof? I would prefer something that is going to be permanent, like the Expedition's rack, not something needs to removed when not in use. What appeared to be a great online place for racks was the Rack attack, but do not have one in my state and I'm not too comfortable ordering something like that online. Can anyone share some rack wisdom with me? Thanks so much!

I have a 2010 Edge with factory side rails. I was agonizing over what I should do to complete my rack system (remove side rails and install a complete aftermarket system, purchase factory cross bars, or purchase aftermarket towers and cross bars). I was familiar with the complete Yakima system and felt comfortable with its reliability. I purchased the Yakima Railgrab towers and 58" cross bars. Before installing the towers and crossbars, the siderails almost seemed too loose....not anymore. The rack is solid. I can grab the cross bar and shake the whole car. I'm very happy with it. Hope this helps.

If you want to self install a set of factory side rails the holes you need are either already exposed once you remove the black plastic strip in the gutter, or they are pre-drilled and filled with a soft sealant. You will see 'dimples' where those are. I did this myself in late November or early December and reported on it somewhere on this site. It was fairly easy and didn't take long. I used a small diameter drill bit to clear out the fill in the closed holes. It was like drilling into a block of cheese. I think that my biggest concern in the process was about dropping my ratchet on the roof and chipping the paint and so I draped the immediate work area. I also took the time to wax the gutters when I had them exposed.

I ordered the Yakima railgrabbers and canoe brackets from Rack Attack last month. There pricing was the best that I could find and everything arrived quickly. I haven't installed them yet but was out in the garage sizing up the installation yesterday evening. I thought that the 48" cross bars might be too short so I went with the 58" which I plan to cut down a bit once I figure out my excess. I own a small pipe cutter so that will make a clean cut. I am waiting on the delivery of a composite canoe that only weighs about 26 pounds so I'm not worried about the weight. At the moment I'm figuring out my tie down options. The rear is problematic if you don't have a hitch as there is nothing solid to tie to.

Once my canoe arrives I will complete the installation and provide a report with pictures.

• Like 1