My Touch Update Question

I did the recent update and now when wanting to send a text message ,the keyboard is gone. Instead it is

just like a phone with numbers and letters. How do you use just the letters. Why didn't they send us instructions with the USB drive. Also,I hate the compass on the home screen. Before we had a choice to have it staring you in the face , I guess now we don't.

I thought you could only send pre-defined text message replies with voice commands. Are you saying you could type a new custom message before? Are you sure it's allowing you to type text and not asking for the phone number to send the message to? If it's supposed to be text then you would use the same method you use to send text on non-smart phones. You press each number 1-4 times and it cycles through the letters on each button. e.g. to send a "C" you would hit the #2 button 3 times quickly.

Yes, before I had a keyboad just like on a computer and you could type in whatever you wanted or answer with a quick reply that you had,you would just touch the screen for the one you wanted. And, I tried to touch the screen 3 times and I got the number three times not a letter. So disappointed in this all changing.