Trans flushed and re-calibrated - so far so good

carbonedge+

Took my Edge (w/ 96k miles) to a dealer this morning to have the transmission flushed and flashed. I've experienced a lot of what others had posted; hard shifts, slipping from a start, other unusual occasional happenings, but it never left me stranded so I kept chugging away.

They flushed it and updated it with the last calibration settings; and while it's still too early to tell if it's addressed all the issues, the ride home seemed much smoother.

The hard shifts I experienced were a while back and because it was never constant, I didn't worry much about it. The last time it did that was around the 50k mile mark. There have been other milder shift patterns but I easily determined that was related to the shift point changing while traction control was engaging (yes it can be done). There were other minor times like slowing down and just as it downshifts, and getting on the gas there was a bit of jerk, but that was just related to the timing of the downshift and getting back on the gas.

The latest issue I'd seen was a feeling of the transmission slipping while maintaining speed in 6th gear. As soon as I turn O/D off, it stops. It was never severe, just sporadic and annoying. It turns out, a co-worker was riding with me and she noticed and said her husband works for a Ford dealer; you need to call him. Got the re-calibration for free. He said "there are multiple reprograms for the shift solenoid body. My tech has not yet had to replace a trans or rebuild one on the Edges to date. In most cases a reprogram and a trans flush cure the issue." So far so good. So if you're having transmission issues, you might try to at least have it re-calibrated. They did all this in about and hour and half, so my guess is a re-calibration would cost you about an hour's labor. He also mentioned he "found another TSB on 2 shift sensors that are being replaced in repairs" so those having more severe issues may need more than just a re-calibration.

I mentioned a single occurrence where from a stop, it felt like there was no power getting to the wheels; it was a very, very slow start and finally felt like it was supposed to about a mile later. Turns out there was something mentioned about starting from 4th gear (I may have heard that on this forum), and that's actually what this felt like. Only happened once, time will now tell if it does it again.

Unrelated to the transmission, there appears to be an open recall letter out related to "cooling system corrosion may lead to contamination of the heater core." I never received the letter but he did provide me with a sample copy if anyone's interested. I don't appear to have an issue related to this.

So, if you are having transmission issues, get it checked out, it could be as simple as a re-calibration. I will also say, making a friend with someone that works for a dealer helps too!

Just a side note, I recall a post on here a while back asking if anyone ever turned traction control off on dry pavement to see what it would do considering it could still generate wheel spin with it on. Well, let me tell you, I did recently (because I was getting new tires the next day) and all I can say is TIRE SMOKE! :peelout: And if it's wet...well, that obvious, you lose traction and control; that's why it's called traction control!

• Like 2

• 2 years later...