Ecoboost Mileage ?? for owners

flipr

i did post this over in the Ecoboost forum, not sure how many ecoboost owners log in over there.

Bought new '13 Edge 12/8, had 800 miles on it when we took it for Christmas road trip.

Nashville to Wisconsin, then to Ohio, back to Nashville. 8 days, mostly clean, dry roads

1830 miles, mostly all interstate, 79 gallons of gas, just over 23 mpg for the trip! MPG pretty low for what I was expecting.

had the cruise set at 2-3 mph over speed limit, some parts limit was 65, others limit was 70, some 55.

Had a full back end of gifts on the way up, maybe 300 pounds luggage and gifts, on the way home, weight was cut by at least half, as grandparents we took lots of gifts and came home with few trinkets.

Was watching tach, engine ran at 2000 rpm on the highway with cruise set. Is that about right?

i've heard all kinds of excuses about why mileage was soo bad, cold weather, wind conditions, new engine, let it break in 5000 miles or so, then mileage will get better. My driving habits are such that I get 31 mpg on '08 Altima 2.5, and was getting 28-29 hwy on 2002 Impala w/ 3800, so I'm not an agressive, light-jumping driver, usually set the cruise and forget it staying in the right or middle lane.

Ford charges $995 premium to buy the Ecoboost, I had higher expectations.

What are you getting in real life?

• 2 months later...

I have a 2012 Edge SEL w/ ecoboost that I bought in June of 2013. My wife and I kind of share it throughtout the week, her more city, me more highway so my mpg is also an average of that kind of driving. The lowest I've ever calculated was 20.9 mpg and the highest I've ever gotten was 31mpg, on average it looks like I am getting 23.3 mpg. I tend to drive it at 68 mph since I saw a post from another ecoboost owner who found that was the sweet spot for highway driving, at least for their car. I will say that most of my exclusive highway driving usually gets me 24.3 to 25.7 mpg, between my wife's city driving and how she actually drives the car is what really brings down my daily average.

Just be aware if I remember correctly I calculated that extra cost for ecoboost would take about 4-5 years to make up the difference compared to a normal midsize SUV. I plan to keep mine for longer than that so I was fine with that, plus I am getting about the same mpg as the 2000 Toyota Camry V6 I had. So I like the fact that my gas bill is basically the same instead of it going up if I bought a non-ecoboost version.

Living in NJ I average around 21 MPG. But traffic here is not really the same as most other parts of the US. I did get 31 MPG on a road trip to Myrtle Beach. That was with 3 people and a full cargo area, two fill ups for a 660 plus mile trip. I did have gas left in the tank when I got there. My highway average near me is more around 25-26 MPG but you can rarely go more than a mile in NJ before hitting some kind of traffic.