2010 Ford Edge Limited

Andycapp

After encountering my first problem with my Edge I stumbled across this site. My gas tank developed a leak and I am interested if others have had this problem. I know the 07 and 08 models had some issues with their tanks. I had the tank replaced by a local to me Ford dealer at a cost of $2705.00 and after some discussion with Ford customer service, I was told that the warranty has expired on the vehicle and the gas tank failure is a result of the salt and slop on our roads and Ford is not responsible in any way. I know the warranty period has passed and I understand they can wash their hands of this, but.....a gas tank should last more than 4 years. I took the old tank home so I could examine the failure and possibly make a roadside sign or mailbox out of it. What I discovered was the rusted area is 4 inches of metal around the filler and vent connections that are welded into the tank. The rest of the tank looks like it is a week old. I am certainly no expert but it is my opinion that this is a manufacturer's deficiency. Was the metal over heated when the fittings were welded in? Was the metal not prepped properly after welding and before installation in the vehicle? Will my new gas tank fail in another 4 years? Has anyone else experienced gas tank failure on the 2010? Since Ford admittedly cannot produce a vehicle built for Ontario roads, I think I should be looking to a different make.