No heat - decided to fix it

Zazzy

If the coolant was in bad shape and a proper flush wasn't done, it's possible that the new heater core is clogged. A reverse flush might fix it. The problem is that the passages in the heater core are very small. If there is junk in the engine coolant, it will make it's way to the heater core, which will act just like a filter.

Regarding the blend door actuators, you can watch if if they're working or not. Two of the four only direct air flow. The other two regulate temperature. One is on the left side just above the gas pedal and to the right. Just look for the green electrical connector. Nearby will be the arms, which are white plastic. The other one is on the opposite side. It's easy to see if you remove the glove compartment. It's to the left of the left side of the glove compartment. While you're there, replace the cabin filter. Also, you can see if the recirc air actuator is working. The fourth is up high (on the left side) and if you can direct air (floor, vent, defrost), it's working so you don't need to see if it works or not. I think they're all in my pictures (look for the green connectors).

It's a difficult reach but you can grab onto the heater hoses. Remove the engine cover and slide your arm all the way back. It's a tight squeeze but you can actually reach back there. If the engine is warmed up, and one hose is hot and the other isn't, there is no flow, or limited flow, thru the heater core. You don't need to do this while the engine is running.

When's the last time you replaced the thermostat? It's different than the old school thermostats that only limited flow to the radiator. It has a secondary spring. I don't know how it works but it's referenced as an item to check or replace if there's lack of heat from the heater core.

Also, check the fuses. I think there are two or three related to the HVAC system. The owner's manual lists which ones they are. I'd tell you but my Ford Service Manual DVD is on a different computer and I'm not near it.

Edited by Zazzy
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Zazzy my husband and I are doing ours now and he's pretty much given up. I'm looking at the pictures you have taken and you did have to remove to steering wheel or can we just work around it? We purchased the our vehicle after the warranty expired and we were not aware of the issue so we're trying our best to work with what we got. Thanks!

Zazzy my husband and I are doing ours now and he's pretty much given up. I'm looking at the pictures you have taken and you did have to remove to steering wheel or can we just work around it? We purchased the our vehicle after the warranty expired and we were not aware of the issue so we're trying our best to work with what we got. Thanks!

The steering wheel is very easy to remove. After the trim is removed and the electrical connections are unplugged, it's just 5 bolts. Four bolts connect it to the dashboard. The other one is at the floorboard behind a piece of plastic trim. If I didn't address it above, after you unbolt the shaft, slide it up and tape it up so it won't slide out. It's telescoping and you don't want the shaft to slide out. Just keep it together.

Also, I'll post all the PDFs that I used to do the work.

Edited by Zazzy

Here's the next batch. One of the items in the instructions mentioned disconnecting an electrical connection near the cowl. It's wrong. It's near the fuse panel. Also, it's easier to remove the driver's door, which is just 5 bolts. No instructions needed. Just support it before you unbolt it.

Power Point.pdf

Instrument Panel.pdf

Instrument Cluster Finish Panel.pdf

Instrument Panel Center Finish Panel.pdf

Instrument Panel — Exploded View.pdf

Heater Core And Evaporator Core Housing.pdf

Heater Core.pdf

Well...umm...

It must come out because the heater core housing is behind it.

But, you made it easier to remove the dashboard support bar because you removed a lot of items that didn't need to be removed. No big deal. You can reattach all that stuff after you remove the dash support or after you put it back in.

Typically, this photo of the dashboard comes out in one unit. With the driver's seat out, you walk the entire dash out of the car. In a way, you made it easier to remove the bar.

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/uploads/monthly_01_2015/post-31797-0-40261400-1422333229.jpg

Edited by Zazzy
  • Like 1

Did you check operation of the blend doors? Also, how many ounces of refrigerant was added? If you removed the heater core housing, the ac was disconnected. The amount of refrigerant needed for a full charge is on top of the radiator fan housing.

Edited by Zazzy

• 10 months later...

Here's a follow that some might find interesting. I installed new radiator hoses at the time I did the heater core replacement. I also installed an inline filter on one of the radiator hoses.

Today I inspected the filter and there was junk in it. It wasn't horrible but enough to make me glad that I installed the filter.