Replacement Key Fob

Brucifer

I received only one key when I purchased my '07 SEL. I'm hoping the dealership will be able to find the other one, but I have a feeling that it's going to come down to buying a new one. The local dealer wants $225 for the fob.

Do different dealers have different prices for keys? I remember that BMW dealer prices could bounce all over the place.

In any event, the plan is to get the two so I can program keys I find on Ebay and such. If I do find one, does it have to be an unprogrammed one, or will the process in the owner's manual overwrite a previous program?

• 3 weeks later...

Ended up going to a local full-service locksmith and it was $200 out the door. They explained that it's so pricey because there is the cost of the equipment, yearly updates and tokens that cost for each install. They also said that you can have up to 8 keys dedicated to the car and if you need to add more because of lost keys (and 8 are paired to the car already), you have to go to the dealer to have them remove said lost keys.

I'm trying this EBay key for giggles and see how it goes.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111463774568?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Not sure if I will make it my regular fob if it works, but I need some extras so I don't have to go to the locksmith again.

• 2 weeks later...

Took the key I ordered off EBay in the link above to the same locksmith that made my second remote key. They said it wouldn't work, but I had them cut the key anyways figuring I wasn't going to return it and if anything I would have a way to unlock the outside doors. Went home and followed the instructions in the manual and low and behold, it started the car. Remote didn't work with the key locks, but I reprogrammed everything with the 8-cycle method.

I now have a switchblade key!

Still ordered a third conventional style key which is on it's way.

Late Edit:

As per the owner's manual, you are only allowed 4 remote keys to be paired to the car. You can have 8 keys overall; that's 4 remotes and 4 standards. So, technically, the third remote key I ordered can only be used as standard key: the lost key, the key that came with the car, my purchased & programmed key, and the switchblade key fulfill my 4 remote allotment.

Even Later Edit:

Went back to my programming locksmith to get some house keys and key rings and talked about how surprised we both were that the switchblade key worked. I was bemoaning the issue of one of my 4 remote keys being lost, but they said I am still good to go for my incoming key. Once you do the 8-cycle programming, only the keys present to be programmed will be linked to the car.

Hypothetically, you have 8 remote keys that start and run your car (two original and six aftermarket). You can do the 8-cycle programming for keys 1, 2, 3, and 4 because those keys are the one present to press the buttons and cycle the locks. The couch devours remote #1. You 8-cycle again with keys 2, 3, 4, and 5. The couch barfs up key #1. Key #1 will start the car (as they all will), but the remote feature will not work.

Cliff Notes: I will be able to program my new 4th key to start the car and work the lock remotely.

Edited by Brucifer
  • Like 1