Driver's Window Seal mis-fit, water in door

Just noticed today that my two-week old Edge SEL has a damaged seal around the window -- the top is crunched into the door frame with no easy way to get it out (pic attached, but doesn't do this justice -- this isn't something you can just pull out with your fingers).

Since I bought it, we had a pretty bad rain storm (last week), and I'm still getting water on the window when I raise it from the down position.

I'm sure the dealer will handle the seal without a problem, but should I have any concerns about the water that's obviously in the door? There hasn't been rain for nearly ten days and none of the other windows have this problem...

Otherwise, this is a GREAT car!

post-3063-1204265683_thumb.jpg

Just noticed today that my two-week old Edge SEL has a damaged seal around the window -- the top is crunched into the door frame with no easy way to get it out (pic attached, but doesn't do this justice -- this isn't something you can just pull out with your fingers).

Since I bought it, we had a pretty bad rain storm (last week), and I'm still getting water on the window when I raise it from the down position.

I'm sure the dealer will handle the seal without a problem, but should I have any concerns about the water that's obviously in the door? There hasn't been rain for nearly ten days and none of the other windows have this problem...

Otherwise, this is a GREAT car!

Hi filmdave. :D As Solas correctly stated, automobile doors are not waterproof even if the seals are correctly installed. That is why there are drains in the bottom of the doors. The water in the door is not a particular worry, all cars have water in the doors. Actually, even if the door was completely watertight, condensation water would still form inside the door from the interior and exterior air temperature differentials (but no one needs a science class, so enough of that :hysterical: ).

In the Owners manual there is even a short blurb about periodically checking the drains to be sure they have not become blocked with debris. If the drains become blocked, then you will have problems.

That being said, you should still bring your concern to the attention of the Dealership and have it corrected. Should just be a simple re-seating of the seal.

Concerning the water on the window when you lower and raise it. Do you mean on the inside or outside of the glass? If it is on the outside, again, that is "probably" normal. The squeegee action of the seals are a hit and miss proposition. If it's water on the inside, then I would worry more.

Either way, you have the right attitude. Take it to the Dealer for service and let them fix it. Don't worry about the water in the doors (as long as it is draining properly and not pooling in the door), we all have that, in every car.

Best of luck with your new Edge! :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530