Edge Navigation System

Does anyone know where I can get tech. help with the Nav. system in the Edge? Neither Navtec or Ford are talking. :banghead: Actually the nav. part is OK, it's the very limited POI's (points-of-interest) and the smart(aleck)spell feature that are causing me fits. I'm considering re-uping my Garmin c330 --which I affectionately call "Martha". For a system that's supposed to be "next generation" it appears to be light years behind, but 5-times the cost of, my Garmin. I hope I'm missing something! Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

The spelling is directly related to the number of registered POIs. From what I know it's that Navteq's revenue is generated through signing up companies to list in their system. I agree it can be frustrating at times that some of your favorite businesses aren't listed. For example, I once tried to map out a nearby Target store and it only listed one in the state, hours away, when I knew there were at least two in the metro area. I had a feeling it wasn't the Target I'm looking for either. The geographic region has something to do with it too. When I travel through Kentucky, I've noticed that the "QUICK POI" has a hard time finding gas stations when there are plenty of independent stations along I75.

• 1 month later...

I too have found myself frustrated with the limited POI's for the Edge navigation system. For my last vehicle, I had purchased a Nuvi 350 and I was going to sell it on e-bay after buying the Edge. However, after realizing the POI database is relatively small, I have decided to keep the Nuvi. It is very small and takes up very little room in the center console...keeping it just for my peace of mind...I shop too much.

I don't care about the "POI's" at all. I just program the unit for where I want to go, and it takes me there.

In addition, I have two RoadMate 760's, and I find that the factory Navi unit has the RoadMates beat hands down. "Geraldine" tells me where to go in a loud voice. Easy to program. I can delete when finished, or just leave it in there. Although I have not yet taken any long trips with it, I do use it often just to learn how to use it. Still have a ways to go in mastering it, after four months, but I'm starting to get good at it.

The only thing my RoadMate's do that this does not do is that the RoadMates give me the altitude and the stock Navi unit does not. Also the RoadMates give me the Latitude/ Logitude with only one touch of the button and with the stock Navi unit, I have to search for it. (have not mastered that yet <grin>).

• 1 month later...

Lorimarx,

I have the navigation in the edge, and it works great. I don't use the POI feature so maybe it does have a limited list, but I'm not really sure.

I basically use it with addresses I input. I often have to go to several addresses per day and the unit will optimize your trip so your not running back and forth.

Not only is the navigation accurate with directions and almost never looses the GPS signal, but the stereo is upgraded to 9 speakers (4- 2 two way's) and 1 subwoofer.

The sound is great!

Good luck.

I'm looking at buying an Edge & wondering if the Navigation System is worth spending the money on? Any help? Thanks!

Save your money and get an aftermarket Navi, like the Pioneer Navi systems which are far better and cheaper. It's ironic because because the factory Navi is made by Pioneer, but seems like an outdated model with the stripped down version of the software so it's very limited.

With the aftermarket Pioneer, you have much more features such as: MP3 playback, DVD movie playback, Bluetooth, hard drive (depends on model), back up camera option, color customization, better interface, and the list goes on. The funny part, it's much much cheaper for the aftermarket one. Check into these models:

Pioneer AVIC-Z2 (20gig hard drive, 7" screen)

Pioneer AVIC-D3 (no hard drive, 6.5" screen)

My bro installed the D3 in his Mark LT with the back up camera and it's sweet! You can get the D3 model for about $750 online + rearview camera ($60). This is less than half the price of the factory setup and 10 times better. Too bad my MKX had the factory navi in it otherwise I would be all over that AVIC-D3!