Rear View Cameras

dammm

From the research I've done, it doesn't look like Ford offers any sort of rear view camera solutions, and there are no "easy to install" 3rd party systems that connect to the factory NAV system.

I would really prefer a wired system, but I'm afraid that running all the necessary cables would require some major rework of the interior. Looks like the easiest option is to go with a wireless camera system that has a separate LCD screen. Has anyone tried this solution, and if so what recommendations/suggestions can you make (brands, image quality, ease of installation etc..)?

I'm curious to hear what others out there have done, so please share :).

Thanks

if you search here, you will find several threads already on this. But the highlights...

you CANNOT - on your own at least - wire in a camera to the nav system. IF you get it done, it requires taking out the entire nav unit, shipping it to a place, have them do some soldering on the mother board, and send back. THEN and only then can you use the nav. there is NO plug-n-play system we can use to tie into the nav unit. this is costly.

a wireless system is not so wireless... you still must run some wires and I read they are so so quality at best (which is why they are cheap).

you can run wired 3rd party cameras. search here, people have done it. that is the best solution. yep, takes some wiring skills and wiring hiding and tying into the wire bundle.... plenty of great cameras to select from BUT, as you note, it means a 3rd part LCD screen on the dash or someplace of which there are also many great ones to select from. but not very integrated and bulky.

I have researched this topic pretty heavily and this is how it is for us since Ford enclosed the nav unit system. which is why I have not done it since I want a seamless install but I do not want really pull out my nav unit and send it off at a 300-600$ cost.

• 5 weeks later...

GOOD NEWS!

I just talked to Sam at avelectronic.com and starting next week they will sell for $325.00 a harness that will give us the opportunity to install a backup camera without having to send the head unit for modifications.

So the installation process will be quite simplified.

Now we have the find a way to get the Flex ford Logo to fit in the back of our trucks!

hmmm... that is great news.. after all I have read and seen, and what I understand from talking to those very guys in the past and people recently as today, a plug-and-play option is just not possible since Ford/Pioneer made a closed system versus other manufacturers with exposed wires. So, the reason you send in is because you must solder onto the motherboard as there are not wires to tap into. That has been the claim by all the shops I have called who do the mod. I doubt it is them just wanting to make extra money as they sell plenty of DIY kets for other head units, just Ford seems to be the one stick in the mud.

So, this comes as kind of a surprise to read and I will wait and see if it is vaporware or the real deal :) as I am wondering how they finally found a way around an issue that 5 other places say require mother board solder.. it might still require that I suspect, they will just now say "we are not responsible for you frying your board", but we will see...

as for the rear "logo" - errr "emblem" - from the Ford Flex with the built in camera, if I get a chance I plan to swing by with digital calipers and measure the emblem and see if the general size is a fit. if so, I will talk to my fleet manager about getting one if price is not crazy insane and assuming they are even available to get seeing as how the Flex just came out they may not have stand alone stock on that emblem/camera yet.

either way.. IF AV.E comes through and makes a DIY kit/system you can truly attach a camera to our nav head units, there are PLENTY of camera options out there if the emblem camera is a no go. the harness they claim is the key to all of this, the camera options are plentiful.

UPDATE: so, curiosity got the best of me and I called these cats up to find out what the story was. seems slac10 was correct and it is the real deal and they finally found a way to splice into the harness farther down the line rather than at the head unit with solder. very good timing on his part to bring it up and happen to call that place. I called 3 of the others in the last day to see if any news on a new method given that Flex emblem/camera I posted about elsewhere here got my juices flowing again, and they are all still doing the solder mod... so he timed that phone call to that shop perfect and scored the new info right from the source... very serendipitous. in talking to that Sam guy, it was the same guy I talked to like 5 months ago and I recall him and his voice so we chatted for a few minutes and he confirmed what slac10 said.

Edited by Lex Talionis