Problem Solved: front tie down points for roof cargo

I found it hard to believe that I couldn't continue to do the things that I like just because I now drive an Edge. My bike rack wouldn't work due to the spolier, so I installed a Curt hitch and got a rack for the hitch/receiver. Next up was the need to tie the front and back of my canoe. The back probem was solved with the hitch/receiver but the front needed a remedy.

Well, about an hour of time (including the run to Ace hardware) and I now have 2 tie down eyes connected to a solid point on the vehicle.

Tools needed

5.5 mm socket

7 mm socket

10 mm socket

(wrench or socket depending on size nut purchased at hardware store)

flat balde screwdriver (for popping off qty 2 push connectors)

tin snips or really heavy duty scissors

Difficulty level- not at all

First remove the splash shield from beneath the front of the car using the 5.5 and 7 mm sockets and removing the @2 push connectors

locate the 2 bolts on each side in the picture below. They screw into the metal beam for the front bumper (solid surface)

20190221_174612.jpg

Edited by billfl

Remove front bolt frome each side

purchase qty 2 stainless steel eye bolts (I used 1/4 inch) so it would pass through the hole as Ace didn't have metric (eye bolts come with a nut) 3 -1/2 inch size

purchase qty 2 stainless lock nuts

purchase qty 2 stainless lock washer

thread nut all the way to the eye, slide lock washer on top of nut

insert bolt into hole and secure top with lock nut

thread nut/lock washer and tighten

repeat on other side

20190221_174637.jpg

Edited by billfl

loosely reinstall splash shield with 3 screws on each side

cut access hole for eye

finish securing the splash shield

total cost= less than $5 to install something that Ford should have included

NOTE: do not confuse these as being tow hooks as they are not. They are for lashing cargo when fron tie-down points are needed

20190221_181432.jpg

Edited by billfl

• 4 years later...

Maybe you are long gone from this forum, but I wanted to thank you BillFL for taking the time to make this post way back in 2019. 

I'm a single mom with a secondhand 2017 Edge and I am about to pick up the canoe I've been saving my pennies for and watching marketplace for a year.

I was able to follow your steps and install tie-downs on the front of my edge thanks to you. It might seem like a very simple thing, but I come from a generation of women that were socialized to believe anything car-related was too messy and complicated for us - that was boy stuff. So thank you, truly, for making things clear and simple so that I could push outside of my comfort zone and do this thing for myself. 

• Like 2