Shift to Park Message Resolved DIY 2011 MKX

cfo20

I fixed my shift to park issue (switch) on my 2011 MKX and figured I would share a brief step by step.  I am not a mechanic, so if you choose to do this, you are doing it at your own risk.  After replacing the entire switch/harness assembly, replacing (soldering in) a new $5 switch from mouser or similar (as noted in other forum posts) would have been easier and cheaper, so consider that method if you are comfortable soldering.  I also DID NOT remove the shifter assembly to do this while the switch replacement directions from Ford said to remove the shifter from the vehicle.

1.       Order correct part as noted in TSB 17-2219 (14 December 2017).  For the 2011 MKX, it was GT4Z-3F988-B.  Mine was $33 shipped or $55 at local Ford dealer.

2.       Study the directions that come with the part when it arrives.  They do help a lot, but again, you DO NOT need to remove the shifter from the vehicle.

3.       In the drivers seat, remove the two curved leather covered trim pieces that surround the climate control.  Just pull up on each as they are held by clips.

4.       Remove the two 7 mm bolts holding in the climate control panel, then remove that entire panel by pulling up as the sides and top are also held by clips.  Slide the panel up from behind the two tabs at the bottom where the bolts you just removed were at.  Once loose, remove the single wire harness at the bottom and set the climate control panel aside where it will not get damaged.

5.       Remove the four 7 mm bolts holding in the touchscreen and APIM unit.  Remove the harnesses from the back of the touchscreen/APIM and set it aside where it will not get damaged.

6.       Remove the four 7 mm bolts holding in the CD player.  Remove the harnesses from the back of the CD player and the two antenna connections if you can get them off.  I could not get the two small antenna connections off, so I just tilted the CD player up vertically and wedged it into the area where the touchscreen/APIM was just sitting (see attached pic). 

7.       Open the center console lid and remove the plastic trim that looks like a large thin “H” from under where the console lid sits. This is also just clipped in.

8.       Pull the side panels (start on drivers side) of the center console outward along the top of the console.  They are also just clipped in.  No need to remove any more clips than just along the top.  I think you may have to remove the seat just to get the whole panel off and that isn’t necessary.  Repeat on the passenger side.

9.       Look inside the now “gapped” side panel and you will see three 7 mm bolts holding in the cupholder assembly.  Remove those three bolts, then go back to the drivers side and remove the other three 7 mm bolts there (six bolts total).  Now the cupholder assembly will be loose but still not removable.

10.   Towards the back of this loose cupholder assembly are two wire harnesses.  One two wire (black connector) and one multi-wire (gray connector).  Find these connectors and unhook them.  The small black one can be rotated to assist.  The gray connector is fixed to the back on the rear cupholder under the cupholder assembly.

11.   Lift the cupholder assembly up just a bit at the rear and pull towards the rear of the car just a little, enough to reach behind and remove the two harnesses that are plugged into the back of the USB/AV/SD (navigation) card reader inside the hinged door cubby (see attached pic).  Once those harnesses are unplugged you can then slide the cupholder assembly back even further and lift it up as high as possible without going over the shifter head (see attached pic).  It will stay there elevated so you can now change out the bad park detection switch that was causing the shift to park issue per the directions supplied with the part.  Follow those directions carefully, work slowly and you will not have any issues replacing the switch.  It isn’t hard, just painstaking.  Check the new switch mount just like the directions say to make sure it is seated correctly.  It will look like it is until you look from directly over the top to make sure it is seated.

12.   Take pics of the wiring configuration with your cell phone before removing the switch so you know how to run the wires once the new switch is installed.  Put everything back together and you saved yourself a couple hundred.      

IMG_7722.jpg

IMG_7724.jpg

IMG_7725.jpg